2 year old male GSD don't like puppies? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecat View Post
I think he is fine, when I took my pup to dog park, there are adults who don't like her and my pup does not seem to get upset at all from their warnings to leave them alone. The only time she got scared was when an off leash GSD chased her while barking without my pup doing anything (and the owner can't call their dog back), as long as your dog does not do that, I think he is fine.
I don't think he is fine . And I think you are setting your pup up for a dust-up from some adult dog who won't tolerate her overtures.
(my pup does not seem to get upset at all from their warnings to leave them alone. )

from all their warnings! really?

quote "I'll see his lips raise as a snarl and he may pin them but walks away after that."

group dynamics can come in to play . When one dog is forced to submission and is down and vulnerable then all the other dogs can come in to pick on the "looser" as well. Get their kicks in and then it turns into a big wild west pack fight.

why not to go to dog parks . The young dogs being the nuisance are not properly socialized either.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carmspack; 02-07-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Elite Member

Neither one of my adult GSDS liked my puppy when I brought him home. My female had never met an 8 wk old puppy before. I was told that my male was the only dog in the rescue who could be outside alone with the puppies. She ran a pit bull rescue and my shepherd was the babysitter

Both would growl at him when he tried to lick their faces. I just intervened and kept him busy and seperate from them. My old male started warming up first. You could see him thinking "Aw heck I can't stay mad at the little feller". They because inseparable after about 2 weeks.

The female could take it or leave it.. pretty much she ignored the puppy. When the old male died she and the pup became pals.

It took time but the pup is a year and a half and we have never had any serious issue between any of the dogs.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Crowned Member

if introduced properly and managed properly you can have a good relationship between your male and whatever new pup there is in the future .

that will be part of the family . You can control the youngster . Protect the adult and the pup from each other.

You can't do that in the park . Your dog is rightfully annoyed . Things can get out of hand quickly.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page