9Likes
  • 7 Post By lhczth
  • 1 Post By lhczth
  • 1 Post By Kyrielle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Coward dog, 15 month old

Hello,

My gs is really scary dog,and i dont know where to start..and how to fix this problem.
i will explain,he scary from small dogs..not from all but only from this that are older and open mouth and show their tooth.
he can go and hide behind me..and it's actually very funny,when 77lbs dog go behind me form this little dog's...

the other problem,is he REALLY TOO MUCH Gentle people's even tell me that they never saw this kind of gentle dog..
he never attack or never never! yell/show his tooth on any dog.
if little dog bite him,he just stay in place and cry..and still trying to play with the other dog.
if big dog trying to run after him and bite him,he just run-away with strange voice..

for an example - yesterday i was with him on the park,and dog from the kind of "saluki" 3 years old was aggressive to him [my dog always starting to play with other dog,he take his hand and put on the other dogs to start play..] so this dog didn't like it..and start to run after him and bite him[when his mouth was open and show tooth] my dog just run-away from him..looking back with his head,and doing voices like in this video:

i cant post links,so in youtube..search: 10 Funny German Shepherd Videos #2
3:02 - 3:10 exactly the same sounds..

and after this dog leaved him,my gs come to me and hide under my legs..and didn't wanted to move/or play with any dog around him..
i tried to ignore it,and do nothing..but he keep stay under my legs[i sit]..

how i can fix it,or make him more protector not for me..for himself ?
for me it's feel "shame" when the dog act like that..but in the dead line..i don't give ****.
my dog is more important for me,and i care for his health and life..and i put my ego behind,and want to try help him..just please tell me what to do?

i already tried to take him with other good dogs..he play without problem with them
but if some of them started to attack him after long-time of play..he again run-away cry,come home back to under us...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Stop putting your dog into situations where he can be attacked and hurt by other dogs. That is extremely unfair and, IMO, cruel on your part. He should be neutral and ignore the other dogs. At the rate you are going, he is either going to get seriously injured or decided to finally fight back and become seriously injured. You entertain him and play with him. He doesn't need doggy friends

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO1 AD B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhczth View Post
Stop putting your dog into situations where he can be attacked and hurt by other dogs. That is extremely unfair and, IMO, cruel on your part. He should be neutral and ignore the other dogs. At the rate you are going, he is either going to get seriously injured or decided to finally fight back and become seriously injured. You entertain him and play with him. He doesn't need doggy friends
Hey,thanks for quick response.

First i don't know how did you understand all of this,only from what i typed..
Second,i never put him to play with dogs that i know they will attack him,or new dogs that active like attacking dog..and if this happens i take him away and defend him [ like i said he first come under my legs]

now,i np for me to entertain him..i'm playing 45 minutes with him every day + 3x45minutes of walking trips and outleash.
and also 15-30min of training per day + some times food in kong..

I want him to play with other dogs,even dogs that not attack him..but not to be so scary from every dog!

except what you told me what not to do..that i'm already know and doing it..
if you can tell me how i can fix this problem,as i know he dont need doggy friends..but i think he need to play with other dogs..and not to be so scared all the time.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:10 PM

May be your dog is not ready to meet new dogs for now, let him play only with dogs that he knows and comfortable playing with until he has higher confidence. Is your dog only scared around dogs or overall skittish? scared of strangers? scared of loud noise? scared of new places? I think by boosting his overall confidence may help, not just around dogs. Introduce him to more new experiences, new places and appropriate challenges, give him lots of encouragement.

If you really want to get him to play with other dogs, try to introduce him to only one dog at a time, begins with a dog he knows well and comfortable playing with, when meeting new dog friends, again one at a time. I would do some screening, choose the typically more gentle breeds but more importantly observe how the other dogs react when they meet. If I sense unfriendliness from another dog or I sense my puppy is not relaxed and not in play mode, I would move on without letting them interact.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

IF you want him to play with other dogs than find one or two that you know he is comfortable with and meet with them and their owners for some special play time. If you can not control the play or the dogs your dog is playing with then you are doing him a disservice. He is better off not having doggy friends than to be scared. You can't build his confidence if he keeps getting attacked. All you will end up doing is causing him to eventually attack back (resulting in a vet visit and stitches) because his person was unwilling to protect him and have his back. Stop putting him in these situations.
carmspack likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO1 AD B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:38 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

If there are loose dogs at the Park then stop taking him there. The more you push him to be there with loose dogs that you don't know the greater the chance he will be hurt and the greater the chance you will increase his fear. Give him a chance to be away from dogs for a while and work on building up his confidence so he is not so afraid. Walk him in places where you are pretty sure there won't be any dogs. If you see a dog, turn around and walk away. Let him see you are willing and able to keep him safe. Right now, he probably doesn't know who to trust because you're putting him into situations that scare him and could get him hurt. He isn't going to learn to trust you if you keep doing this to him. The more you build up his confidence and his confidence in you to take care of him, the less he will hide behind your legs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 12:58 AM
Crowned Member

Hmmm well most likely a "poor choice of title here?? English as a second language maybe?? OP listing your location might be helpful??? But it doesn't matter to me because "I speak dog" and I think I understand what your trying to ask???

First the more "appropriate" term is "Fearful" and not "Coward." It's only important becasue depending on the term you use "some" may I "assume," think what your trying to do is prove something with your dog?? Just what ... I think but whatever ... don't care.

"if you can tell me how i can fix this problem,as i know he don't need doggy friends..but i think he need to play with other dogs..and not to be so scared all the time."
This is what is important and if that is your goal here you go.:

Your first mistake is "assuming" that your dog needs doggy friends??? That is a "fallacy" all your dog needs is you! A dog needs faith in there owners. You are there world that's all they care about if you have there back they will have yours!

My OS Wl GSD ... long back story there but he seriously "Ticked me off!!!" I no longer gave a crap about what he thought! But he was my dog ... so I had his back "people were his big issues and I kept them out of his face. He didn't give a crap about other dogs. But "we had issues" I was ticked off at him so there was "resentment! But I had his back because he was "my" responsibility! And part of that "responsibility was for me my standard practice, keeping other dogs out of his face! No dog I do not know gets to mine without going thru me ... period end of story!

And as it happened one day when the "crap came down" and I went down on the ice while defending him ... guess who came to my aid unexpectedly in spectacular fashion ... I was stunned??? But ... that's another story.

At anyrate ... as long as your willing to just "flat keep" other dogs out of your dogs space and not put him in "bad Situations??" It's not that hard to make changes ... this link here and take note of "Who Pets my Puppy or Dog" and "Five things to do with a fearful dog.":

New Dog, Very Challenging

And next these things should be done and taught with every dog ... "The Place Command and Sit on the Dog" they train calmness into a dog.:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

And once you've done "Sit on the Dog" in a distraction free environment, find a safe distance from where dogs are ... and just "Sit!" No interaction, no commands just "Sit!"

And ... if you happen to have "Pack Walks" available as an option ... that would be owners that care and all dogs on leash ... do the above for awhile and then go on "Pack Walks." If you take the above steps first ... I'm pretty sure your dog will find a "Pack Walk" to be no big deal ... he will by then understand that you have his back! Right now ...he's not so sure where to turn?? That's most likely what your currently seeing.

So welcome aboard and ask questions.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_ger View Post
and after this dog leaved him,my gs come to me and hide under my legs..and didn't wanted to move/or play with any dog around him..
i tried to ignore it,and do nothing..but he keep stay under my legs[i sit]..
There's nothing wrong with comforting your dog when he's scared. Don't baby him, just put a calm hand on his shoulder/back and keep it there for a moment. The contact really helps. Let him hide a little if he needs to hide.

Quote:
how i can fix it,or make him more protector not for me..for himself ?
for me it's feel "shame" when the dog act like that..but in the dead line..i don't give ****.
my dog is more important for me,and i care for his health and life..and i put my ego behind,and want to try help him..just please tell me what to do?
He needs confidence to protect himself and be capable of telling another dog to stop harassing him. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his fear is actually attracting dogs that are bullies. I've seen it at the dog park sometimes: an overly submissive dog will attract the bullies, but when that dog gains confidence, they're not bullied. The dog usually gains confidence when they encounter dogs that are nice to them, play with them, and especially when their owners come to their defense (shoo the bully dog(s) away with an air of absolute authority).

If you cannot avoid loose dogs that try to bully yours, stand up straight, imagine yourself a giant wall of menacing authority, then tell the dog to beat it. If you have to, step in front of your dog and press on the offender. By press, I mean move forward unflinchingly. You don't have to be mean, just look like they cannot possibly get past you. Remember, a lot of dog body language is just appearances. If you act like you own the place, then as far as a dog is concerned, you DO own the place.

But those are all just bandaids. You need to build your dog's confidence.

Between the two of you, do training sessions. Lots of them. Teach him (or reinforce) some extremely simple command like "sit" so you can use it in stressful situations. Play some tug with him and let him win every time for a while.

Take him to places where there are other dogs and just walk by them from a distance. If he gets nervous, create a little more distance and ask him to do the simple command a few times. Then move closer.

Take him to places with people or somewhere else that he normally succeeds in navigating. Take him to other places that he really likes (like the woods or fields or some place natural if possible).

I'd also stick to socializing with dogs that are friendly, if you really want to. When they both start getting too excited, take a break. I have a feeling that the playful dogs might not actually be attacking your dog. They're probably getting too excited, too rough, and your dog isn't confident enough to know how to give off the signals to tell them such or is simply getting overwhelmed.

Jack was this way when he was younger. He'd be playing with other dogs and having a good time, then they'd get too excited and want to wrestle. He'd get scared and run back to us, hiding between our legs exactly as you described. We just had to keep reassuring him, and stepping back from the other dogs, playing a distracting game of fetch, then encouraging him every time he had a good interaction with another dog. Playing fetch helped a lot as it was something he could succeed at. It made him feel more relaxed and willing to give interacting another try.

Basically, this whole novel can be summed up as: set your dog up for success. Success breeds confidence.
Chip18 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page