At what age did your puppy start barking at strangers entering your yard? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:51 PM

4 months old. My puppy had a gardener cornered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 08:49 AM

My male didn't start barking aggressively at strangers until 4 to 5 months of age but my female has displayed aggressive behavior since two months to everyone who is not welcome on our land. Now she is 8 months and everyone knows that if i'm not there to keep your distance. She has always been wary of other people and has never failed to protect me from possible threats.
Dogs can sense when you'r uneasy with someone and that is when they start to become uneasy as well.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:43 PM

My boy started to bark at pretty everyone first time I got him home (8 weeks) :P

He's now 11 months and knows the command 'quiet'. He'll bark when people linger around at our front door and someone knocks. I usually stops him after 2-3 barks and praise him. The one time he was barking aggressively and ignored my command was 3 people standing at my front door and one of them was yelling over cellphone in a foreign language.... I still think they were up to something today and my boy scared them away... I almost called 911 that time

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 06:25 PM
Crowned Member

Mine have never been in the situation in which they could bark at strangers entering the yard as she is never alone outside. Being alone in the yard, encourages barking. People ring the door bell here and I have a good routine to keep her under control.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

Personally, I would be very concerned with an eight week old puppy barking or barking aggressively at eight weeks old. Alert and watchful? Yes. Happy and playing? Yes. At eight weeks there should be no aggressiveness.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:36 PM

My guy is 4 months old - he doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in his body.

He loves everyone and shares everything.
Castlemaid likes this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:29 PM

Around 11 months. One time at around 12 am, some guy came into our yard, he came from the neighbors house and wanted to go out of our drive way instead for some reason, while I was outside playing with my pup, even thou he seen my GSD outside he still kept walking, then my 11 month old pup seen him enter our yard, then the Dog charged at him, started running around the guy barking, then grabbed a full bite into his leg, luckily he was wearing big ski pants and didn't break the skin. Never seen him around again.

Til around 11 months he started guarding and being protective.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:34 PM

But hes playful/friendly with most people, but doesn't like some others for some reason.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 AM

We don't like everyone we see and meet and I don't expect my dogs to either. I do expect my dogs to take a cue from me, though. If I am cool with a person I expect them to be calm. They don't decide on their own if they are going to bite someone or not.

My three year old boy is very good at this. My she-pup who is 17 months now is still learning what is normal behavior for people. If she barks more than twice or if it sounds like an aggressive bark, for normal human behavior, she gets a correction. I'm giving her more opportunities to be without our older dog, to watch people out and about.
Castlemaid likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 08:05 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserAus View Post
My guy is 4 months old - he doesn't seem to have an aggressive bone in his body.

He loves everyone and shares everything.
And that's exactly how a four month old should be. Enjoy!
wolfy dog and car2ner like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page