5 month old is fearful of new people - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluna Alyssa View Post
my gsd puppy is good with dogs but reactive to people and will bark if someone comes too close or if they move past us too fast. he wont bite anyone but it takes a minute for him to get used to their presence and then he is fine with them petting him. i dont want to have people give him treats because i dont want him to think people are food machines especially because i am determined to make him a service dog. i just got him a few weeks ago and he is doing wonderfully with his rehab but i need some tips to speed the process up. what can i do to take his attention off of people walking by? how do i teach him focus?
"Determined to make him a service dog"....is a problem. You can't make a dog into a service dog who just isn't service dog material. Where did you get this pup? What type of service dog?
Deb, carmspack, ksotto333 and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
i actually evaluated him myself. i rehabilitate aggressive and insecure pitbulls from the shelter near me and rehome them and it usually isnt too difficult, i just need tips this time because i have never dealt with a german shepherd, the breed's dynamic is a bit different but i assure you that once he isnt reactive anymore (which he definitely wont be) i will come back and post about his progress. im going to a conference im a week or two however and it would be nice if i could calm him down a bit more before then.
LOL "pitbulls" welcome aboard! Ten years of American Band Dawgs, APBT/Boxers and Boxers and my first OS Wl GSD ... no big deal???

Pack fights, five started by him after seven months of "zero" issues (that I saw) and I got stitches in one of those dust ups and then after that ... H/A???

The links I highlighted are what I did ... worked out fine.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Banned

Higher value food (raw meat) + hunger = faster rehab I think. With my first dog who was reactive/aggressive, we avoided giving him meals before taking him out and as we walked past people we kept feeding him food for calmly walking past them. I.e. don't give breakfast if you gonna take him out before noon, don't give lunch if you gonna take him out between noon and night, and don't give him dinner if you gonna take him out at night. And of course gradually decrease distance + decrease food award frequency + avoid getting too close that he practices reacting to people.

However, unless he is otherwise amazing and has justified reasons for being reactive (traumatic experience?), I highly doubt this dog will make a successful service dog.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Crowned Member

No one mentioned anything about money or waiting lists ......also, service dog prospects can be chosen at 8 weeks but a good portion are not successful for a number of reasons and are "cut" anywhere from 8 weeks to 2-3yrs.

You haven't really provided much usable information as far as his breeder / lines, foundation training, type of service/tasks you're hoping to achieve, why he was a "backyard dog", etc..... but it sounds like you've got it all figured out.

as a service dog trainer, I've given my suggestions - a weeks time sounds unrealistic imo. Leave him home for the convention.
Deb, LuvShepherds, Chip18 and 2 others like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 61lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Dark Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 57lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 02-05-2017 at 07:03 PM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
service dog prospects are chosen as early as 8 weeks old actually. he follows commands beautifully and has absolutely no signs of aggression but he gets a bit frantic when people come too close.
Yes but what you see at 8 weeks only means, this pup might possibly make the grade. Not this pup will definitely make it. My current candidate pup had all the earmarks at 8 weeks.

So he was a candidate hopeful for awhile. Once he passed his CGC and had some formal obedience and I basically knew how he was going to act under certain circumstances, I started calling him a Service Dog in Training.

We are still working at it, he is still doing well, and I am still 100 percent prepared to wash him if necessary. He just got OFA prelims and came back Good/normal so that was a big hurdle and something I was prepared to wash him for (if his joints weren't good enough)

I am working towards the rest of what I am not sure he is a hundred percent on to pass a public access test as laid out by the big organizations, which doesn't mean he is certified through them or anything at all official, but for myself I need to see him go through that barrage of stuff and do it right. He is task training now and that is going well.

You said your pup is frantic when people come near, that sounds like a big problem either temperament or socialization or both. If I were looking for a puppy candidate I wouldn't choose one like this
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
i actually evaluated him myself. i rehabilitate aggressive and insecure pitbulls from the shelter near me and rehome them and it usually isnt too difficult, i just need tips this time because i have never dealt with a german shepherd, the breed's dynamic is a bit different but i assure you that once he isnt reactive anymore (which he definitely wont be) i will come back and post about his progress. im going to a conference im a week or two however and it would be nice if i could calm him down a bit more before then.
This scares me.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:29 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
This scares me.
Me too. I can't even post what I would like to or it will get into the weeds, and we can't go there.

I suggest the OP finds someone who trains service dogs. Rescuing dogs for completely different purposes doesn't give anyone the automatic ability to select and train a service dog. That is very presumptuous. Rescuing a questionable breed (said for emphasis, please, no one get into that area) to rehab them has nothing at all to do with training a service dog. We have seen what happens when people train service dogs on their own without experience. If the OP had the kind of experience needed to train a service dog, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I am not saying this to be rude or snarky. I am getting into something that I know can become controversial because it is too important to ignore. A poorly selected or trained service dog puts all trained service dogs and organizations at risks. Please get professional training help with this dog or reconsider the service potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page