I have enough - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Knighted Member

You have had this problem for over two years. If you had found a trainer then, your dog would be behaving today.

Dog behavior issues - plz help

This isn't a crticism but a suggestion. You need a private trainer with GSD experience and behavior changing experience.
Deb and voodoolamb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:41 PM

I am with some of the other comments, wondering if you even like your dog? Is there anything you like doing with the pup? Anything at all?
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker's mom View Post
I am with some of the other comments, wondering if you even like your dog? Is there anything you like doing with the pup? Anything at all?
I think he likes his dog enough to come on here to try and find a solution. That said, no one who owns a dog can be 100% happy with their dog, 100% of the time.

I like my dog....but at least once a day I want to strangle him
Chip18 and Crunch Hardtack like this.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:50 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1976E View Post
I think he likes his dog enough to come on here to try and find a solution. That said, no one who owns a dog can be 100% happy with their dog, 100% of the time.

I like my dog....but at least once a day I want to strangle him
Asking for help and stepping outside one's own comfort zone to do something are different. It's very hard to take action when you blame the dog. It's not the dog, it's the owner.
voodoolamb likes this.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Sounds like you have a high energy low threshold backyard bred dog. He probably needs more exercises and more experienced training than what you are doing right now. Maybe you want a lower energy + genetically calmer dog? Whatever you choose, best of luck!
Deb likes this.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Elite Member

Where the dog was bred is irrelevant. This could be a dog from the top breeder in the world and without the OP doing his part the dog would be the same.
LuvShepherds and Chip18 like this.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
The part in bold?? Most likely that was simply a cry for help?? And you weren't really expecting an answer?? But "surprise" ... there is one. You can train "calmness" into a dog "Train" an off switch and it is in that long thread I linked but here you go.:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums
This link is so far my favourite piece of information after browsing through at least 50+ threads on this forum!
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonecat View Post
This link is so far my favourite piece of information after browsing through at least 50+ threads on this forum!
LOL well thank you. It wasn't just me however ... "Baillif" did a thread on it and I asked questions ... and then I had to ask him to "dumb it down."

And he did and once I understood ... I went to work to help others understand those things. And being a "Boxer Guy" I saw the value with those dogs instintly. I had actually "stumbled onto "twice" but did not realize it?? "On the Lawn" the whole of our front yard ... was a giant "Place Mat." It was actually a anti theft measure for my "People Loving Boxer." She was a dog that would happily drive or walk off with uh ... "anyone." But rules were rules and "On the lawn" meant "On the Lawn" ... so it was "Sorry Luv to go with you but Daddys says on the Lawn!"

And "Rocky" OS WL GSD I stumbled on to "Place" more formally, by accident ... he just happened to be on his bed when company came over for the first time. And he greeted company with a cold hard stare and a low growl!?? My blood ran cold but he never moved ... good enough "Place it is" and I kept company out of his face!! I caused a lot of hurt butts with family for a long time over that one. And it was a couple months before I allowed my best friend to interact freely with him. Any finally on one occasion after months, maybe two years of my "behaviour" as regards him. My wife took advantage of me taking a nap and let her daughter finally pet him after yeah .. two years. Her daughter lived out of state so she would drop in only occasionally. I woke up, go outside and "Rocky is standing by her daughter wagging his tail. I was stunned.

He's still not a fan of company but these days he's more like "Nice to see you ... when you leaving??" I'm good with that.

On the "Boxer Board" most owners seem to be more interested in "Sit on the Dog??" Then "Place??" That was a surprise to me but whatever. "Selzer" had a thread on "Sit on the Dog" ... I did not see the value to it myself at first. But then Baillif mentioned it also and he "trains it," so I dug in again and found the "Site" for the original YouTube clip. I did have a chance to try it with a fear of people "Boxer" and I was "amazed" at the change I saw in that dog from the "beat down" Boxer I had seen the week before???

There was some other stuff I just do as a matter of course with every dog. And I expected to be working with "Tic Tac Toe" the next week, I was stunned to hear that he had been adopted???

At anyrate ... that's the "long story of that thread" glad you found it useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page