I have enough - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 02:51 PM
Elite Member

If he lives his ball that much but hates training, you are doing it wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:02 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Find a trainer that teaches engagement with toy/play rewards. Might just be the secret to finding that switch in your dog's head and flipping it so that you get a dog that wants to be with you and please you.

I used to think that rewarding a dog for listening was bribing a dog. Dogs should listens to their masters, just because. Just because I'm the boss, and that is the way it is.

Then I got a rescue that sounds like your dog. I felt we were always in conflict, and I wasn't enjoying her. I had to admit that I needed help, and swallowed my pride, and opened my mind to doing things differently. I signed up for reward-based obedience training, and it changed both of our lives. Using food rewards to motivate her, build our bond, and communicate to her that she was on the right track flipped a switch in her little brain. Now training was FUN!! She wanted to please me, and she was pleased with herself when she got things right. It was like I had a completely different dog.

If your dog isn't into food, but goes crazy for the ball, use that! My present dog is not very food motivated, and all his training was done pretty much off leash, with ball and tug play for a reward. Dogs don't know that they are being trained. Training should be a fun game for them. They should look forward to it.

Traditional pet-training classes are going to be very boring for your energetic dog. See if you can find trainers that know how to train a dog in drive, like an IPO club, or agility trainer. They should be able to help you.
LuvShepherds, zetti and voodoolamb like this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Elite Member

There is nothing wrong with your dog. His behavior is completely normal for an under trained, under exercised, socially isolated, young, working breed.

You have zero patience for this dog, and feel he is the biggest regret of your life? Those are strong statements. If there is truth to them you both would be better off rehoming him. He is going to need someone willing to devote a lot of time, energy, money, and patience to fix the problems you created. It's taken you 3 years to get this dog, don't expect an overnight miracle fix.

What you really need to decide is are you capable and willing to invest those resources into him? Do you honestly still WANT the dog at this point?

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:20 PM

Hi Zgil86. I looked up some pics you posted and wow, what a beautiful dog! I’m not a professional dog trainer but I feel I know where the problem is. I went through all of your posts from when you got the dog up until today’s post and you've consistently had issues with getting his attention. IMO, the dog doesn’t see you as the person in charge. Instead, he is the dominant member of your relationship. At least that’s how he sees it.

I doubt you’ll get the results you need from a professional trainer although it's probably a good step. Even if the trainer gets the dog under control he (the dog) is going to revert back to square one when you’re the one issuing the commands. And that’s because (in his mind) you’re not the one that’s really in charge. As an example, when my wife tells one of the dogs to “sit”, it’s more of a question than a command. And the result is the dog pretty much does what he wants. When I tell them to sit their tail hits the ground because they know I’m in charge and that I mean what I’m saying. It’s a command, not a question. I’m consistent in my approach as well as my usage of commands.

Throughout your 3.5 years with the dog he’s never actually seen you as the leader. He loves you, no doubt about that, but he doesn’t respect you nor does he listen to you. I mean no disrespect but this isn’t a dog problem, it’s a training problem. And I’m afraid your demeanor just doesn’t present itself in a manner that the dog is impressed with. I’m not sure you can regain control at this point but for you to have any chance at all you’re going to need to change yourself first.

Just my .02, YMMV
Chip18 likes this.

Jim

Last edited by squerly; 02-05-2017 at 03:22 PM.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the help. You're all correct. I need to work on my self a lot with him. I have no patients, I can remain calm look at the tree for 30 min, not look at him, not pay any attention to him. Then, I will take a tiny step, and he will start running like a chicken with his head cut off. I guess this is what I signed up for. I think at the end, I will need therapy,.
Chip18 likes this.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 03:33 PM

I really think a dog trainer can be of assistance, but more for what he can teach you than for what he teaches the dog. Good luck!

Jim
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgil86 View Post
Have a yard, got him as a puppy, not much training anymore as I used to. We take him for walks, he hates training, all he wants is to play ball. The second get outside, he takes his ball and that's the only thing on his mind. In summer we take him for bike rides, but like I said, he gets tired, he does not listen, he sits down and rests and petty much gives me a middle finger
A good trainer can show you how to incorporate his drive for the ball into your training. It can be a big plus!
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I have a 3 1/2 y.o. male GS. His energy level is up though the roof. He is nearly uncontrollable when we take him places (day camp, walks, vets) Does not listen, does what he wants. He is starting to become my biggest recreate of my life. I have no idea what to do, I am lost, I am tired and I have enough. I have no idea how to get through his head to be calm. The second I let him in the house, it's like someone is chasing him with a baseball bat, there is no stopping him, he pulls, he barks.
The part in bold?? Most likely that was simply a cry for help?? And you weren't really expecting an answer?? But "surprise" ... there is one. You can train "calmness" into a dog "Train" an off switch and it is in that long thread I linked but here you go.:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Quote:
I just want a dog I can take out for a nice walk, without having my arm ripped off, let him in the house so he can stay in for a while, take him to day camp, vet, etc...
None of that is unreasonable but you've let a lot of "behaviours" go on unchecked for a long time. So now you've got to undo a lot of what you've done first and then move forward.

But break it down if you want to know how to "Train" your dog to walk properly on a loose leash ... see the first video clip under "New Dog A Challenge." You can do that in a "distraction free environment first" and you should be well on your way to a better behaved dog.

But if you don't want to or can't figure it out still. Then hiring a trainer to teach you how to walk your dog is a viable option. A competent qualified trainer will recommend a "Prong or an E-Collar."
Proper E-Collar training is a bit more involved but if it's a trainer that can help ... it's gonna be one of those two tools.

If they recommend anything else ... "thank them" for there time ... and show them the door! I will add my personal choice is a "British Slip Lead Leash" but I seriously doubt you'll find a trainer near you that "teaches there" client to use one properly???

Quote:
I should have just gotten cat or fish. I have absolutely zero patience for this dog. There is something wrong with him and I have no idea how to fix it.
LOL ... well you could "still" get that "GoldFish" ... I'd also say a "Cat" but all my Ca cats have passed and now I'm stuck with four NV cats ... dumb as freaking bricks!!! "Litter Box issues" ... they freaking tick me off!!

But I digress ... if you want to bail on the dog ... contact a local "GSD Rescue" and offer to "Foster in Place." They can help to take him off your hands if you so chose.

But the part in bold ... if you "chose" to put in the time and effort required. Here you go ...:
My 11 month old GS is crazy!

At this point ... "Crate Training" is required and it's not about punishment it's about "discipline" feed the dog in the Crate only. If he won't go in he does not eat put the food in the Crate for 15 minutes if he won't go in, he skips that meal. He'll "figure it out soon enough.

And I need to add this one in there also for the "Crate thing.":
The Second Hand Dogs: Playing Crate Games

Use whatever method works for you.

Quote:
Don't tell him that i don't exercise him enough, First of all, I would need to quit my job so I can exhaust him, he can go and go for hours. Plus, when he is exhausted, he becomes lazy and simply ignores me. I am tired.
Well you kinda sorta fell into a "trap" ... "exercise, solves all." You put all your eggs in one basket and you got ... what we be the "predictable outcome." Intentional or not, your dog is doing what you've "Trained." Go, Go, Go no of the goals of exercise (as has been mentioned) is to create endurance ... and ... that seems to have worked.

Raising a dog "properly" is about providing "Balance" ... "Exercise and Training" or both equal parts as are "Rules, Structure and Limitations. You've only achieved one of those "Five" and now your seeing the results.

At anyrate ... you've taken the first step in solving your problems ... "stop doing and start thinking" ... "out think your dog." "If what I am doing is not working ... do something different???" All those that have solved there dogs issued ... take that step first.

So take some time to reevaluate and make a "decision" and stick with it. Does he go or does he Stay??? When I had "issues" with my dog ... deciding that yeah "screw it he's staying!" Was one of the steps I took. The first step was stop fighting with him and start thinking?? That worked out much better.

Sorry you've had a bumpy road so far ... sometimes having a pretty high threshold for crap behaviour can work against you.
lonecat likes this.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Master Member

I am sorry you are going through such a trying time! My first shepherd was showline, very biddle to training and being in the housr. My second came from a working line, high intensity breefing, and I was ignorant! My current shepherd was very carefully picked out by me and my wonderful breeder. She is a WGSL, and was picked for me by my breeder. I couldn't be Happier! Is your dog working line? That may account for the intensity. I am no expert, just a pet owner.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Knighted Member

Why did you want a German Shepherd? They would all be like that without trying or exercise. He sounds like my dog for a while as a puppy. I found a very good trainer and now I can honestly say my dog who is not yet 18 months old, is nearly perfect indoors and is doing very well everywhere else. If you can't handle him and don't want to try, maybe consider rehoming to a working home and get an older couch potato kind of breed. I almost never suggest that but you don't like your dog at all. Shouldn't he be with an owner who adores him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page