How to check if my dog is a guard dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

How to check if my dog is a guard dog?

Hello everyone , how can i check if my dog is trainable to protect me or guard my home(i am considering to send him for training and i dont want to waste my money if he hasnt got the genes , also i havent seen his parents).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:34 PM
Elite Member

i have no clue on how to help you. i'm not a trainer. i wanted to do IPO for sport not personal protection with my first GSD but our trainer deemed her to timid and we got into rally and agility instead. agility was supposed to be good for her insecurity issues. might take an actual trainer to evaluate your dog. prolly will be hard over the computer. someone more knowledgeable should chime in soon.
jaspar likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspar View Post
Hello everyone , how can i check if my dog is trainable to protect me or guard my home(i am considering to send him for training and i dont want to waste my money if he hasnt got the genes , also i havent seen his parents).
If you don't know, you need to have a trainer assess him. Do you have a pedigree?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:13 PM

If you dont know and you haven't seen the parents then he probably does not have what it takes TBH. PPD is not easy. Dogs that can perform at a high level, can handle serious pressure and have high yet balanced drives are painstakingly bred and not easy to produce and are expensive. Their breeders do not sell them to just anyone and make sure they go to a home where they will be worked.

So I guess my question would be where did you get your dog from they should be your first source. If for some reason you are not in touch with them find a K9 trainer and set up an evaluation they are usually free and they will give you an honest evaluation.

Also sending him away for training will not be nearly enough. A protection dog takes months of work to develope and the training is expensive time consuming and will have to be consistent and on going to keep him ready.

All this being said there is still a chance your dog could have the drive nerve confidence and civility to make a good prospect. But you wont be able to tell on your own or by trying to replicate what you see or hear online without the possibility of ruining your dog.

A quick test low risk test you could do though is stand far from the dog with a water bottle or some container filled with rocks pennies or something similar that will make a loud noise when shook. Basicly just stand far away from your dog and while he is distracted start to shake it. This will give a clear indication of his nerves. If he gets scared avoids it runs off it not a good sign. The only good reaction is immediately running over to investigate or literally no reaction at all.

If he really likes fetch and playing tug those are good signs as well. Either way you would need to have someone see him in person.
BrodyRoo and jaspar like this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:17 PM

Also it will depend on what you define a gaurd dog as. A nice strong bark is pretty easy to teach to almost any dog and 99% of the time is just as effective as a dog that will bite for real
Breaker's mom and jaspar like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by girardid View Post
Also it will depend on what you define a gaurd dog as. A nice strong bark is pretty easy to teach to almost any dog and 99% of the time is just as effective as a dog that will bite for real
That is true , but if it is possible i would like him to be ready for the 1% too.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
If you don't know, you need to have a trainer assess him. Do you have a pedigree?
I dont have a pedigree.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girardid View Post
If for some reason you are not in touch with them find a K9 trainer and set up an evaluation they are usually free and they will give you an honest evaluation.
Be careful with which trainer you find. There are some trainers that will tell you that your dog is OK for protection training just to take your money. Or just because they don't know any better. They may even push your dog into defense drive to show you how ready your dog is to protect. Trouble is if your dog doesn't have what it takes and it's trained anyhow "solely in defense" then you wind-up with a dog who bites every time they get spooked. Bad news for everyone, including the dog when he gets put down for attacking random people.
BrodyRoo and jaspar like this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Crowned Member

no matter what you decide, this is NOT something that you should send your dog away to be trained for. You need training just as much and even MORE than the dog does.
Another thing to consider, a trained PPD can be considered a concealed weapon. Check closely with not only a local civil lawyer but also your insurance company. For example, for the purpose of a service dog that is also a trained protection dog can be asked to leave at any time whereas a purely task trained dog must give cause. The access rights under the ADA do not extend to handlers whose dog is trained in protection because it is viewed as a potential weapon. IE compared to a cane with a concealed sword vs a regular cane.

Also, as others have said, this isn't a one time training and you are done. First, it requires a solid foundation in obedience. Then you add in the protection work. Upkeep of both is at a minimum weekly structured training, with informal training at home scattered throughout.
voodoolamb and jaspar like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 11:29 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

As others and Dainerra said - I would not trust a trainer that will accept a dog for protection training with a promise training your dog in one shot, and especially if they accept any dog without having personally tested the dog first.
jaspar likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page