Wanting to run with him, but other dogs are a no-go - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Wanting to run with him, but other dogs are a no-go

Hi everyone!

My fiancé and I just adopted our first dog together, a one year old GSD mix. We have had him for a few weeks now and he is adjusting and we really have enjoyed him, but he is 75 pounds of muscle and I'm a small lady.

This afternoon I took him for a 1.5 mile run/walk and he subsequently dragged me down into a creek and almost pulled my arm out of its socket and barked when we passed by other dogs. Around people, he is fine. He rarely jumps up and is excited to meet new friends. When we walk around our apartment complex to get to the dog park on site, he walks with a loose leash next to me. It is really when I try to run with him and when he gets reactive towards other dogs.

He is learning commands such as sit, stay, down, shake and come and catching on very quickly. I always make him sit for his food and to put on his leash for a walk. He seems to have these manners down, but sometimes he gets a little wild. He was a stray before the animal shelter had him so there's no telling what his life was like.

Anyways, we have also had to deal with his healing scrotal hematoma from his neutering AND dew claw surgery. He is just now allowed to be fully active.

I saw the videos about dropping treats down when he sees other dogs and gets excited or aggressive, but wasn't sure if anyone had any advice for this frustrated dog mom/ex-runner who is getting back into it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 AM
Elite Member

Patience and perseverance. We use a prong collar, (not everyone agrees with this so there could be a debate). It doesn't hurt if my boy does not pull, and even then it is just uncomfortable. I don't pop it during walks. I just let him "self correct". He pulls it gets uncomfortable. He stops pulling it feels better. And I don't let him get ahead of me if I see another dog. I've taught him that I expect him to be by my side and to keep on moving. If you dog spends more than a few seconds looking at another dog, they will want to go over to the other dog and when they cannot they might get frustrated and start barking, pulling, etc. If he turns his attention away from the other dog and looks at me instead, that is when I treat him. If he is focused on the other dog, I could drop an entire roast beef in front of him and it wouldn't matter.

I also took a class with about 8 other dogs and handlers and spent the entire first class in the corner saying "look at me". My boy already knew the obedience commands. I wanted him to see that we could be near other dogs and he didn't have to go and greet them. Was he perfect by the end of the class? No, and he still isn't...but he is much much much better!

And watch the timing of the dropped treats! You don't want to reward the wrong behavior. The time to treat is BEFORE he gets ramped up or after he calms down. Not during, otherwise me may think "I bark at the dog, I get a treat".

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Knighted Member

Timing is important and where a trainer is important to watch and observe you. You want your dog to pay attention to you or be reminded to behave before the bad behavior starts. I like these videos one his a focus video and one is a leave it video which I often use "leave it "to ward off any trouble it is my favorite. I use the herm sprenger neck tech collar and happy with it looks great to.
Much work and effort for our dog Max to ignore other dogs.
http://pin.it/sruPE0z
http://pin.it/sOhSi2U

Last edited by Jenny720; 02-01-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page