nervousness is about to drive me nuts. - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
So I have taken Apollo with me everywhere the last couple days. Places I didn't even need to go. Where ever he can go in he goes in. We drove my wife to the grocery store and me and Apollo sat out in the truck. That was actually really good for him. At first he was super vigilant watching every person walk by or come out of the store. After twenty minutes he realized he was fighting a losing battle and laid down for a nap. Took him to two different stores today. He made friends in both. Now he is still cautious. But if I initiate contact with someone he will walk over by them and sniff them. Then they are free to pet and love on him or give him treats. Once he sniffs them and they pet him he will even walk over and seek out more attention from them. He's still superl aware of his surroundings but he is so much better than he was a week ago. He done better at club yesterday. I kept looking over and he was sitting beside or circling Jordan the helper. We was able to get some good obedience and tug in. Actually the obedience at club seemed to calm him quite a bit. So I think he may be alright after all. I at least feel there is hope for him.

I know some people here don't want their dog to be petted or friendly with strangers--to each his own, I guess. I've seen a lot of police K9s that are quite crowd safe and social. It's good PR for the unit. Aloofness is proper for the GSD, but in Apollo's case, I wouldn't reward him for avoidance. I think you're better off rewarding him for approaching.

Personally, I prefer that my dogs be social. I do not rely on my dogs for personal protection, other than by their appearance. They're sport dogs. And I don't want that kind of liability. The consequences of an accidental bite are dire in this day and age. I can't really overstate that to anyone who thinks they want a biting dog. One false step by a dog who is less than exceptionally clear headed and your life can become a nightmare. Your dog may well lose his life.

Raff currently loves all humans and I'm very happy with that. In time, he will naturally bark at those things which require barking. He's quite vocal. He went through about a week in which he was scared of everyone. I gave him lots of back up, treats and praise for approaching and it blew over quickly. He's a very confident little bugger now.
wolfy dog and cdwoodcox like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
I know some people here don't want their dog to be petted or friendly with strangers--to each his own, I guess. I've seen a lot of police K9s that are quite crowd safe and social. It's good PR for the unit. Aloofness is proper for the GSD, but in Apollo's case, I wouldn't reward him for avoidance. I think you're better off rewarding him for approaching.

Personally, I prefer that my dogs be social. I do not rely on my dogs for personal protection, other than by their appearance. They're sport dogs. dire in this day
Yes, If I am going to try and do IPO with him then he needs to be approachable and willing to work in front of and around strangers and crowds. Even to get him his BH at this point and I will be very happy.
post #43 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Elite Member

He still has so much growing up to do...he didn't have an optimal start it life. Just don't worry about it too much, he will probably grow up just fine. Try not to compare him to your other dogs too much
cdwoodcox likes this.

post #44 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Knighted Member

He sounds like he is maturing and changing. I agree one on one socialization with out your other dogs are best. Don't press things if he is uncomfortable. He will be fine as the other posters said. Lots of transitions from puppy to adult and for the owner as well is what in found. Figuring out which way to go is a process. Max was social as a pup and let him get pet by strangers as long as he was comfortable. I want him to know how to accept to be petted and comfortable around people. As he grew he needed to smell and check out a complete stranger before he allowed a pet. If I saw Max is suscpcious or uncomfortable I learned we avoid them altogether and just keep going. I decided I don't need Max to be petted by strangers as he was becoming more aloof with strangers, I also had been encountered by people who do some nutty things put their hands right in his face as we walked by once some try to wrestled with him once within in a few seconds meeting which Max did great in all scenarios even if he preferred warm up time. During the spring parent once let two kids just run up to Max as we were walking by one wrapped him self to Max's waist and the other kid around Max's neck. Max was okay and used to and loves kids. he did become playful and not bothered by it -happened so fast though and I vowed not to put him in that situation again. I rather avoid strange kids as I don't want this to happen again kids are impulsive and do not always follow rules. Max is insanely social to close family members and friends -stalker type of social. Our pup now Luna is super social with people and I will follow her lead as she grows.

Last edited by Jenny720; 01-30-2017 at 02:32 PM.
post #45 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Elite Member

My she-pup, who is working through something similar, did better today. We went to Lowes, where I gave her the UhUh for barking at folks and reminder her to keep her attention on me. (I brought extra tasty treats). And yes, I bought something I needed at home.
After that we walked along a shopping center sidewalk where she did very well, until we saw a woman smoking a cigarette. But honestly, she doesn't ever see people doing that so I wasn't surprised she did a quick bark at her.

It is easy to forget how much casual training I did with my first dog, going out and about. I am also making sure to take my gal out by herself. She needs to learn for herself about stranger's behaviors and what I expect of her. It seems to be working, patience is key.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:18 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Yes, If I am going to try and do IPO with him then he needs to be approachable and willing to work in front of and around strangers and crowds. Even to get him his BH at this point and I will be very happy.
Yes, he has to put up with the judge and heeling through the group, showing confidence. I like Apollo, he seems like a really nice boy.

If he's reluctant to approach someone or something new, you can toss a high value treat in between Apollo and the new thing or person. Once he goes in for the treat, his natural curiosity should kick in and take over.

Raff experienced his first bicycle the other day, in motion. He paid it no attention. Best possible reaction.

Has Apollo been on the field for the gunshots yet?
post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
My she-pup, who is working through something similar, did better today. We went to Lowes, where I gave her the UhUh for barking at folks and reminder her to keep her attention on me. (I brought extra tasty treats). And yes, I bought something I needed at home.
After that we walked along a shopping center sidewalk where she did very well, until we saw a woman smoking a cigarette. But honestly, she doesn't ever see people doing that so I wasn't surprised she did a quick bark at her.

It is easy to forget how much casual training I did with my first dog, going out and about. I am also making sure to take my gal out by herself. She needs to learn for herself about stranger's behaviors and what I expect of her. It seems to be working, patience is key.
I gave up on my pup taking treats in public while on Super alert. However, this morning on our way into big R an older gentleman was coming out as we were going in. He asked how old the pup was, said what a good looking dog he was, and asked if he could pet him. I said he's kind of leery but you can try if you go easy. So he stood and talked for a few. He's getting a gsd pup in a week or so and you know how that goes always something to talk about with GSD's. Anyway after a couple minutes Apollo ventured over sniffed the guy and let him pet on him. He asked if he could give Apollo a treat. I said he probably won't take it but yeah, I have some in my truck. He insisted that he had some in his van so I said fine give it a shot. It was some cheap very unhealthy treat that I would never give my dogs.! New in package. So I figured give it a shot. Of course Apollo loved them. All but jumped in the guys van. The old guy told me to keep the bag to have others give them to him since he liked them so much. So that's what I done. If he acted leery I said give him a piece of this. They would hold a piece out and all of a sudden he wasn't so leery anymore. Worked on about 8 people. And then he just seemed to relax. And would walk up to people and sniff them as I started talking to them. Instead of being leery for a few minutes first. They would slowly pet him and eventually he would be sitting in front of them or beside them. It was a good day for Apollo also.
Thecowboysgirl and car2ner like this.
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 PM
Master Member

Quote:
I gave up on my pup taking treats in public while on Super alert. However, this morning on our way into big R an older gentleman was coming out as we were going in. He asked how old the pup was, said what a good looking dog he was, and asked if he could pet him. I said he's kind of leery but you can try if you go easy. So he stood and talked for a few. He's getting a gsd pup in a week or so and you know how that goes always something to talk about with GSD's. Anyway after a couple minutes Apollo ventured over sniffed the guy and let him pet on him. He asked if he could give Apollo a treat. I said he probably won't take it but yeah, I have some in my truck. He insisted that he had some in his van so I said fine give it a shot. It was some cheap very unhealthy treat that I would never give my dogs.! New in package. So I figured give it a shot. Of course Apollo loved them. All but jumped in the guys van. The old guy told me to keep the bag to have others give them to him since he liked them so much. So that's what I done. If he acted leery I said give him a piece of this. They would hold a piece out and all of a sudden he wasn't so leery anymore. Worked on about 8 people. And then he just seemed to relax. And would walk up to people and sniff them as I started talking to them. Instead of being leery for a few minutes first. They would slowly pet him and eventually he would be sitting in front of them or beside them. It was a good day for Apollo also.
Breakthrough!!! You found what Apollo considers a High Value Treat! Buy lots. That is so great! Maybe not the healthiest treat on the market, but for the moment, extremely valuable.

Have you tried Natural Balance? All of my dogs have gone wild for that stuff and is good for them. I just cut it into pieces, it comes in a roll.
cdwoodcox likes this.
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Yes, he likes those treats a lot. Kind of like a child experiencing McDonald's for the first time. But yeah I agree worth losing health factor for a while.
zetti likes this.
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

The old dude did you a huge favor....as you know.....his approach ...demeanor...attitude...indifference until the appropriate time.....all that, won your dog over and was iced with the food scrap...but it wasn't the food scrap that made the difference...high value or not.... Nice new association to help your dog along the way.....

I like that you mentioned " for a while".

SuperG
cdwoodcox likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85

Last edited by SuperG; 01-30-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page