nervousness is about to drive me nuts. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

Will he play tug while out in public places? Short random games of tug may help him focus more on you and less on distractions/people.
zetti and cdwoodcox like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Here are a couple of Rosko a little while ago. He just is who he is regardless of where we're at. Their short and not the best but see how he is just casual. I would be happy with that.
post #23 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
I would be happy with that.
I imagine so.....

In a recent thread I started... regarding giving my dog a tennis ball before she exited the house and the positive changes in her behavior.....I experimented with the same approach in other settings. On one of our walking routes to an area where we train...there are numerous dogs either fenced in or tethered...and my dog has always been this uber-vigilant creature..stays in heel position...but is investigating and taking notice of all humans, dogs and anything else that moves or makes noises.....I don't require her to execute a focused heel as long as she stays in the slot...loose leash and all. I guess I viewed this behavior as a trait of the breed...vigilant.

So....I decide to have the dog carry the tennis ball on our walk before we get to one of our exercise/training areas....and she's a completely different dog...she walks past many of the distractions without looking left or right...just carrying that ball...content as can be.

My experience lines up with what Nigel was somewhat saying.....even though we don't play tug along the way.....

SuperG
cdwoodcox likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85

post #24 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

We're getting ready to run into town now. I am gonna have my wife video Apollo with us in the store to show everyone what I am seeing. Then I'm gonna go out and bring in Rosko along with Apollo. I want to see if having Rosko who is confident and older will have any impact on how Apollo carries himself. (pack mentality) .
post #25 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Here is a video of Apollo. In Big R. It's hard to notice from the video but when he's looking sideways he's looking at people in aisles or a Ross aisles.
post #26 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

To me he looks like he just lacks confidence. He looks up to you and back at your wife often for reassurance. I would be taking him out often and go back to rewards for ignoring people and staying at your side. Keep him engaged with you as he walks through so he's not worrying about the people around him.
Chip18, zetti and cdwoodcox like this.
post #27 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Here is him and Rosko.
post #28 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Crowned Member

I think the lady you spoke with is correct.

He's not being a jumpy fearful dog, but he is looking for direction. His confidence can use a boost. With some games and good exposures/experiences he'll probably be fine. Talk to the folks at the training club and see what they suggest.
Deb, zetti, cdwoodcox and 1 others like this.
post #29 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 03:43 PM

"The things we do for lovvveeee, the things we do for love...."

Sorry nothing to add in terms of advice but, could not help noticing the song playing in the background
post #30 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Is she slightly limping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page