Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
I would walk away.
I agree. I'd pass on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Crowned Member

is your brother asking about the dog or doubting the decision ?

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Crowned Member

It is sounding more fishier and fishier. I hope he hasn't made a commitment yet and walk away to save himself form disaster. What is your brother actually saying about all this?

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Followup - Dog Arrived.

Dog arrived and I was able to go over after about a week of him getting used to his new family and living accomodations. The dog came right up and had no real reaction to me. Very friendly, in a GSD type of way. Meaning came up and wagged his tail and sniffed me then went back to fetching a ball in the yard. As mentioned this dog is IPO 3, but there were some things that seemed a bit different (Not in a good or bad way, just different) Dog has never walked up wood stairs, which you can tell. Dog has never been in a Petco. You could tell the automatic doors and different noises were unfamiliar to her. Just a ton of new experiences this girl is going through that IPO doesn't directly address. So I can see other posters on this thread saying you really have no idea what she might react to just because of this.

One point to mention that I'm not sure what to do. We take the dog to a big field and I'm going to show him how to track his dog. I was trained to use a harness on the dog and use hotdogs and do the usual routine. I was taught german commands and this dog is CZECH. The dog did great, but not what I would expect a dog of this caliber. Since this dog was trained and titled in Czech, there is no way I would know how she was trained. Am I saying the commands correctly? Did this dog use a lead under his legs and I'm using a harness? After the dog would lie down and identify an object I would pet, grab the object, and then give the command STOPA. The dog would do anything. I would go up an kinda give him a poke and then say STOPA and he would start moving and continue tracking.

You can imagine all the commands my brother is giving and the dog would sometimes do something and sometimes not. I would just say I have no idea what command you just gave. Kinda awkward. With that said we are going to a club trial this weekend and they have an obedience workshop where the trainer knows CZECH.

Feel free to comment, just thought I would give some followup from a month or so ago. So far the dog is super friendly and doesn't seem timid or aggressive at all. Which we expected.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

dog probably wasn't trained with hot dogs either .

how the dog recognizes and recovers and then finally stops reacting to novel stimuli is more important .

dog may not have been a house dog -- I had an import once that didn't know how to use the stairs .

she stood at the top and did one flying leap !

she learned quickly and became an expert at it .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Elite Member

The stair thing can be an architectural thing. We adopted a dog in Florida who had never been out of FL in his life. We lived in two different houses that didn't have stairs.

When we drove to New England with him, we stayed at my sister's house part way up. He went upstairs with everyone, happy as can be, then we got back to the stairs and he looked down a very long, steep flight of stairs and laid down on the floor and would not be moved.

It took me a half hour to get him down. Peanut butter didn't work. I underestimated his attachment to me and training. I tried dragging him down, couldn't do it. Too big to carry. So I went to the bottom of the stairs and called him the way I recall them when I mean business, and he sort of crawled down poor guy. We had really worked hard on a bomb proof recall. He was fine with all stairs thereafter, and went up and down that same flight of stairs ten more times before we left.

He had just never seen such a thing in his life, coming from Florida where most houses are single story
carmspack and astrovan2487 like this.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delayed response. I showed him all the responses and he said the breeder said if the dog isn't what he wanted, he would give his money back. So my brother was like "Whats the worst case scenario, the dog doesn't work out and back he goes." This isn't to say he wasn't concerned about all the comments mentioned. He was and still is. i
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
Oh boy. This sounds like a not so good situation. It really will come down to the nerves of the dog... and there is some indication that she can be a bit nervous... maybe it is puppies, maybe not. From the get go, with a dog trained to bite and a handler with no training, always keep the dog under control and supervised with new people... ALWAYS. No one will be able to put a time dimension to this without extensive knowledge and experience with THIS dog. Your brother is insane if he thinks he doesn't need to invest in training and work with this dog... and likely it is he that has to learn a lot. I would be very worried about someone who thinks they are buying something that once trained always trained. And absolutely not, a dog with IPO 3 is not somehow inherently safe. Lots of unknowns here and lots of opportunity for extensive liability and for things to go very wrong.

I should add what I would do. I would commit myself to investing in extensive training and work with this dog. The only way it becomes safer is if the dog and I have a great relationship and that comes with lots of work and money invested in training. I would get a commitment from the breeder that if things don't work out, he or she will take the dog back. I would ask the breeder who he/she worked with in training for IPO and I would contact that person, that club and get a lot more information about the dogs nerve strength, temperament and needs. I would go slow and not expect the dog to be an automaton but a living breathing animal that needs care and attention to detail. I would ask a lot of myself to give the dog the best opportunity to adjust to a new world without asking it to be a perfect piece of furniture.

Ask your brother if he is really willing to work at this.
My brothers dog can be a bit nervous sometimes too. Like if he hears someone by the door (which is to be expected I guess, I mean they are naturally protective). But also on walks like when a big garbage bag moves from the wind or a loud noise is made he will flinch and back up. I will be getting a new pup soon and my question is if the older dogs personality might rub off on the pup. If so do I need to keep them separated as much as possible?
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 11:32 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
My brothers dog can be a bit nervous sometimes too. Like if he hears someone by the door (which is to be expected I guess, I mean they are naturally protective). But also on walks like when a big garbage bag moves from the wind or a loud noise is made he will flinch and back up. I will be getting a new pup soon and my question is if the older dogs personality might rub off on the pup. If so do I need to keep them separated as much as possible?
I have a friend who has had wire hair terriers and gsd's two different times, same sex, both times the terrier was older and both times the gsd was an obnoxious, barky idiot. I love my friend, but I won't bring my pup around her idiot terrier so as to not learn bad behavior.

The point is I believe young dogs/puppies do learn behaviors from the pack.

Last edited by ausdland; 03-14-2017 at 11:36 PM.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Bar B Que: Not so good.

Ok so here is some more info. The dog has been around for a couple months now. When I interact with the dog I have some weird feelings. First the dog has never acted aggressive with me at all. However, if I lean down to pet the dog, it always moves away. Like he is scared or unsure. If I sit down she will come up to me and likes to be petted. Concern is why would this dog be scared? Scared dogs have always have been unpredictable in my experience. I'm thinking this dog was hit or something while being trained. Doesn't like any movement of hands.

Last night I finally invited my brother and his family over for a bar b que. He brought his dog into my fenced in back yard and we were just hanging out. He had his dog on the leash and then I let my golden retriever and and my 8 week old Newfoundland out in the back yard. My golden went up to the gsd and the gsd lunged and came very close to getting what looked like a big bite into the dog. Then the gsd went for the pup. No one was hurt or bit, but I just kenneled my dogs and sat around thinking what the heck? The gsd didn't look scared, but looked ready to roll. The gsd had his hair on his back up and raised and was definitely going after them.

So bottom line is no more play dates with his cousin dogs. My brother is no pack leader and didn't know what to do. He asked what he should do, and I said it's too late. I said you need to be thinking before the dog even thinks it. Training. Anyways, I was just surprised a well trained dog would be so aggressive to other dogs. Especially when not on their own turf! The dog seems very neutral to other people, but wow. Anyway to fix this or it just is the way it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page