New CZech Shepherd Purchase - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Crowned Member

Send me a pm. What you described does not sound as alarming as is thought by some. Maybe I can help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 02:57 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbrick View Post
He lives about 3 hours away from the nearest IPO club. From my limited experience with IPO clubs, if you aren't in it to win it, they ignore you for the most part. I'm going to have him contact the club and see if they have monthly training sessions. I could see him doing that. I don't see him signing up to do the Wednesday / Weekend routine on a routine basis.

He mentioned doing some Petco advanced training, which I thought was hilarious at first. I mean any training is good I suppose, but that would be like taking a NASCAR race car to a go cart track I would think.

So if you don't have an IPO club that is somewhat convenient, are they other options or clubs to research?
Call the club's contact person and ask for a referral to a trainer closer to your area. He or she may know someone. Lots of IPO people think nothing of driving three hours to get to training.

Pet dog training would just confuse the daylights out of the dog. Was she trained in Czech commands?

You can also ask your IPO contact for a referral to a local trainer who trains K9s and personal protection dogs. They'll know how to handle your dog. Big caveat! Make sure you find this trainer via referral! There are a LOT of unscrupulous people calling themselves protection dog trainers! They can really screw up your dog. That's why you want input from the IPO club.

Personally, I think a three hour drive would be well worth it to have your dog evaluated by knowledgeable people. Plenty of clubs would welcome your visit for an evaluation. Nobody is going to try to "sell" you on joining. Most clubs are not all that easy to get into.

In any case, I would contact the IPO club contact, explain the situation and ask for some help. I will be very surprised if no one wants to help you.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 04:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Sounds sad to me. I am sorry for the dog being handled like some sort of commodity for profit it sounds like. Who else would sell this dog to a novice who is looking for a pet dog? Shame on the owner of the female dog for not selling her to someone who can handle her. It is setting up for disaster for the new owner and the dog.
sort of sounds like it doesn't it .
buy female, import with pups expected -- so far nothing wrong with that -- but I suspect he then goes around and sells the imported dam for as much as if not more (broker fee) AND he has the $$$ from the litter.

"He thought he needed an IPO 3 dog because it would be a stable dog that would be turn key ready"

All dogs will have a transition period. This is not a car !

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
is the dog truly an IPO dog? Are there papers that show this? Are there tattoos to identify the dog (ears, abdomen)? I know in some European countries they still do this.
It all sounds very strange to me.
The dog should come with her scorebook.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
The dog should come with her scorebook.
The dog has a tattoo and a scorebook. I thought the breeder was saying something about having the tattoo removed. No idea why that would be done. I guess at the end of this he needs to contact the St Louis IPO club and take the dog there when he actually takes delivery. So that is that. On the same note the breeder gave him three different purchase options. He said pay the full price and do whatever you want with the dog. Second pay 2/3 of the price and the breeder will split the proceeds from the next litter. Thirdly, pay 1/3 of the price and the breeder gets all the pups from the next litter. I'm sure 1/3 2/3 and full are simplified and not really accurate, but it went something like that. Not really needing a comment on this, just thought that it was interesting. Maybe all dogs kinda sell with some options like that.

I asked about the litter today that was born 30 days ago. I guess it had five pups and 3 survived. Just to give all the info I have. Thanks for all the input.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Crowned Member

I would walk away.
onyx'girl, Deb, zetti and 1 others like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Crowned Member

What is the draw to this female? Did your brother spend time looking for a well trained 'turn-key' dog? Is this a larger scale breeding operation?

Now and then breeders will rehome retired titled breeding bitches for a minimal fee that are good as far as companions go.
If this female is a really nice producer, she should be bred again, she is very young yet. But not knowing the reason for the smaller litter, or if the whelp was difficult, so many things play into it. I'd also like to see her pedigree and that of the litter, just for more information.
zetti likes this.

Jane~
Kept by

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-24-2017, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

.markbrick said "
On the same note the breeder gave him three different purchase options. He said pay the full price and do whatever you want with the dog. Second pay 2/3 of the price and the breeder will split the proceeds from the next litter. Thirdly, pay 1/3 of the price and the breeder gets all the pups from the next litter. I'm sure 1/3 2/3 and full are simplified and not really accurate, but it went something like that. "

or there is the option -- give me the deposit back and you'll never see or hear of me again.

if he goes for a deal - oh boy does he have to be sharp and make sure every contingency is covered .

for example who will pay for all stud associated costs? who will whelp the litter ?

Pay 1/3 and the seller gets ALL the pups .

when and how often is a breeding to take place.

what if the dog dies and no litter has happened in the interim. Does the guy sue for potential lost revenue - or sue to claim the full price of the dog , since conditions of sale were not met.

sounds worse all the time.
zetti likes this.

Carmen

post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
Send me a pm. What you described does not sound as alarming as is thought by some. Maybe I can help.
Hi Cliffson,

Tried to send a PM but I'm new to the board and it says I need to have 15 posts before doing so. Talk to you soon.

MB
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:57 AM
Crowned Member

I sent you a pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page