Curious behavior - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Curious behavior

My backyard is fenced......3 dogs on one side of fence line.....2 dogs on another side of the fence line....all of them rush the fence and bark like crazy when we come out to train and play etc......my dog was pretty damned dog reactive...so much better today...BUT....my dog will still rush the fence when I release her but will obey me when I call her off and return. So...today I give her the tennis ball inside the house before we go have a session....I release her....all 5 dogs do their usual gig...but my dog never leaves the deck to rush the fence...she's completely at ease......what's up with the "magic" of carrying a tennis ball?

SuperG

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Crowned Member

Possessing the ball has more value than rushing the fence.
car2ner likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tried it again......worked the same.....dog never gave a crap about the dogs.....dog gave me the ball at the appointed spot....we played and trained.

I appreciate your "value" answer......a few years ago...I was given a similar response...I guess I have forgotten value and its value...

What puzzles me is....how this value of possession calms or outranks this other such obvious and polar opposite tendency in behavior.

Is there a particular drive in dogs which includes this value of possession?

SuperG

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Knighted Member

I'm going to try this, Tessa is crazy for her ball. We have a Rott that hangs over their 4 foot high fence at our property line. The rest of their fence is privacy so it's difficult to tell when she is out. So we step out our back door, and 15 feet away this huge black head pops up and begins barking. Tess can't stand it, and it's the only time she'll blow me off. Thank goodness their dog hasn't come over and is seldom out.

Karen
Tessa ~ GSD ~ 06-08-2011
Della ~ GSD ~ 03-17-2014
Daisy ~Yorkie ~ 2007

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Your dog is in "drive". Working with you is more engaging and interesting than the 5 barking dogs or anything else going on. My dogs will do the same thing. It's a nice thing to have.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Jim
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Slam,

Appreciate you giving credibility to my observations....plus it is encouraging.....

Reminds me of something Steve Strom mentioned to me some time ago......had to do with getting on the good side of the dog....

SuperG
ksotto333 likes this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Tried it again......worked the same.....dog never gave a crap about the dogs.....dog gave me the ball at the appointed spot....we played and trained.

I appreciate your "value" answer......a few years ago...I was given a similar response...I guess I have forgotten value and its value...

What puzzles me is....how this value of possession calms or outranks this other such obvious and polar opposite tendency in behavior.

Is there a particular drive in dogs which includes this value of possession?

SuperG
I wonder the same thing. I have the same scenario with my neighbors, barking dogs on all sides. A ball or sometimes a stick will keep her focused on that and ignore all else.
ksotto333 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Crowned Member

Is the dog still in drive if he/she is idle with the ball?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 11:39 PM
Crowned Member

The ball is a stress reliever. Something like a security blanket. Does she squeeze the ball in her mouth? I'm thinking yes?

Have you ever been worked up and squeezed a stress ball in your hand? It relaxes you, it really does. I have two on my desk at work...LOL

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 02:59 AM
Crowned Member

I have obnoxious freaking neighbors with constantly barking dogs on both sides of me and my dogs "paid them no mind!" Gunther would on occasion go after them but verbal corrections worked. My dogs don't get "rewarded" for not acting like fools! That is expected but hey that's just me ... I guess???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page