Biting or Playing? 2 year old female GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Biting or Playing? 2 year old female GSD

Hello- I've come here for more help on our 2 year old female rescue, Faith.

We have issues with confinement (she escapes everything) but we've kept her confined to the basement and she seems to be ok... other than pooping in the same spot of the basement, regardless of what we do with her.

Now here is my question about biting- We have a son (5) and daughter (2). Recently, my son was jumping on the couch and Faith began barking at him (first time actually barking loud) and scared my son. We explained to him he can't jump and get the dog excited, etc. Then my son was climbing back on the couch and the dog grabbed his leg with this mouth. I'm not sure if she was going to bite him or what she was doing? She has grabbed my arm and my husbands arm when we are playing with her before but never the kids. THEN this morning my daughter was climbing out of our bed and the dog grabbed her leg in the same manner as she did my son. I immediately corrected the dog and told her that was not OK. She stopped and walked away. The dog doesn't seem aggressive when she does it, i'm just not comfortable with her putting their leg or arms in her mouth.
Is this normal behavior? Should we continue to just correct her? or is this aggressive behavior?

Additionally- Faith does not let us pet her. She will come around and let us pet her as she walks by but she does not sit and let us love on her. Is this something that will come with time when she begins to trust us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:09 PM

I was reading your past posts regarding the issues you had containing your pup. What have you done in this regard? Did you find a crate that contained her?

Have you found someone to walk her during the day?

It sounds to me (but I am not really experienced) that your pup is still feeling very unsettled in your home. Hopefully other more experience members will chime in about the grabbing.

Are you walking her every day. Walking provides exercise and is great for bonding. In fact I would suggest walking with your pup is the best bonding exercise. There are proponents here of something called "sit on the dog". I have been trying it with my new pup. I can say I find him very relaxed after.

My new pup was very head shy too. It was better to scratch his chest and work your way up. I would gently scratch him all about his head. Top, behind ears, under eyes and nose...He is much better now already. Trust? Not grabbing collar? Simply acclimation? Don't know but he is getting much better.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply. We weren't able to find anything that we felt wasn't threatening harm to contain her. We can't afford the $500-$600 vari kennels that are suggested. We don't have anyone who can walk her during the day. My husband and I take turns walking her at night and before work to make sure she's getting that exercise in. We live in Ohio so the weather is hit or miss on the morning with it being cold right now. We also try to play ball as much as possible and give her stimulating toys to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaker's mom View Post
I was reading your past posts regarding the issues you had containing your pup. What have you done in this regard? Did you find a crate that contained her?

Have you found someone to walk her during the day?

It sounds to me (but I am not really experienced) that your pup is still feeling very unsettled in your home. Hopefully other more experience members will chime in about the grabbing.

Are you walking her every day. Walking provides exercise and is great for bonding. In fact I would suggest walking with your pup is the best bonding exercise. There are proponents here of something called "sit on the dog". I have been trying it with my new pup. I can say I find him very relaxed after.

My new pup was very head shy too. It was better to scratch his chest and work your way up. I would gently scratch him all about his head. Top, behind ears, under eyes and nose...He is much better now already. Trust? Not grabbing collar? Simply acclimation? Don't know but he is getting much better.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:26 PM
Elite Member

As far as mouthing the children's legs. Hard to say without seeing it as its happening. I would still correct her for doing it. But you can normally tell aggressive behavior. It will be sharp and deliberate. With a purpose. Grab a rope and play tug with her.
As far as being cold or distant. She obviously needs exercise but just as important for her she needs lots of play. Tug, fetch, your husband wrestling around with her, Hide and seek, etc...
What are you doing training wise with her. I try and work on something with my dogs for at least 20-30 minutes each per day. A lot of stuff can be done inside. Work on her focusing on you guys. Carry treats around with you and whenever she looks at you Mark it and treat. Split up in different rooms and work on calling her to random people when she gets there she gets a treat, work on heel inside, sit, stay, shake, down, the list could go on and on. The more you guys train her the more she'll trust. She may never try and lay on your lap but, she will realize that you're all alright and wanna be closer or accept your affection. Just remember to have lots of fun. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page