German Shepherds Forum banner

Does it bother you when your dog sits/lays on you?

4K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  Daisy&Lucky's Mom 
#1 ·
Our dog is at about 53lbs, not the biggest dog out there. Whenever I'm laying on my bed she will come up next to me and lay with half of her body on me. I won't even be able to move my legs at all. I'll tell her excuse me and she knows what I mean, she'll scoot off me but then inch her way back on top of me. If I'm on the ground criss cross, she'll try to sit on my lap, even if she doesn't fit. When she finally accepts that im not going to let her lay or sit me, she sits on the ground/bed next me leaning all her weight on me.

She's always following me around everywhere, which I actually find endearing but when she tries to sit on me, it kind of bugs me. I feel like I can't move my body. Almost like closterphobia? She weighs over a third of my body weight. Do your dogs do this to you and does it bother you? Does she not understand her size?

Ps I love to cuddle my dog when she is next to me, not on me. She will get off me when I ask her to but she tries to be sneaky and does it again.

#3 ·
Doesn't bother me a bit. I call Shadow my lapdog. Love the cuddles.
After all we have been through she can lay on me anytime she likes.
Sabi was huge and would lay herself across me if she didn't like what was going on. Like if we had people in the house she did not know. Or someone got to close while I was sleeping.
Bud used to try and get inside my jacket if someone fired a gun near him.
My Great Dane used to sit her butt on me while I was sitting down and enjoyed stretching out on top of me in bed. She weighted about what I did so it got a bit uncomfortable but I make it a rule to never get angry about things done with love.

#5 ·
No, I don't mind. I kind of enjoy it, as long as they move if I want them to. I joke that my GSDs both make better lap dogs than my 5-lb papillon did. However, they usually only stay a few minutes and then sit beside me or at my feet. In fact, Levi is lying here with his head across my arm as I type this. If it bothers you though, don't allow it. Most people don't want a big ole GSD in their lap anyway.

#6 ·
I feel so bad because that it bugs me lol she just wants to cuddle but she literally just ends up on me and then I feel like I can't move.

It doesn't make me angry or anything. Sometimes I find it quite funny. Does she seriously not understand her weight and size? She is quite tenacious about sneaking back on me...

#8 ·
Valor is 90 lbs at the moment. If I'm sitting in the computer room he's "ALWAYS" with me. My chair rocks back and is on wheels. He will launch his front part of his body onto my lap and then when he can get my chair to rock back he pushes me all around the room. He's almost pushed me through the window a few times... Also, when I'm watching TV he will sit or lay on my feet and if he really wants attention he'll go around to the back of my chair and put his paws over the back of the chair and put his head next to mine.

#11 ·
... Also, when I'm watching TV he will sit or lay on my feet and if he really wants attention he'll go around to the back of my chair and put his paws over the back of the chair and put his head next to mine.
Ranger is just a pup (I know it's different) but he is still hitting 50 lbs. He always wants in the recliner with me. Lemme tell you two fat boys in one recliner is NOT comfortable. (Although when he falls asleep on me and starts snoring it knocks me out.)
I am actually seriously considering building a fat man / big dog semi-chew resistant recliner. You might be a ******* if..... :surprise:

#16 ·
Newlie lays on me a lot. He will start off the night laying on me, then at some point move away, and then come back on top in the morning. Occasionally, he will also try to sit in my lap. I don't mind any of this a bit, but if you do, then you are well within your rights not to allow it. Newlie has been doing this for some years and, during that time, has weighted somewhere between 70-85 pounds so he is no lightweight. It is not uncomfortable for me, other than the pointy elbows, when he lays across my torso, but I do not allow him to sleep across my knees, that smarts!

#17 ·
Hans considers himself a lapdog.
And never seems to understand all the fuss when I feel like I'm getting squished.
Of course, the Siamese also doesn't seem to understand the little screams of pain when he walks across me with his stilleto heels on...

I swear...that's exactly what it feels like. :eek: I'll take dog elbows any old day.

#18 ·
I love my dogs to sit or lay on me. However, when our Great Dane sat on my lap, he would back up to me and kind of sit on my lap, while his front half was standing on the floor. He is at the Bridge :( However, my new Irish Wolfhound rescue is now doing the same thing - all 145 pounds of him!

#19 ·
Apollo is really our only dog that lays in us. Athena or Rosko will lay their head on you just to acquire a couple pets then their off. However Apollo feels it's his mission to lay on you and try and lick your face as soon as you forget he's about to do it. He's 8 months old but I swear he thinks he's still a 4 month old pup. Big goofball.

#21 ·
Your dog sounds adorable, I love it when my dog does stuff like that. Mine is not as cuddly as your dog, she will lay next to me on the bed or couch but won't usually try to lay on top of me or anything like that. She is also small, about 60 lbs, but still manages to take up as much room on the bed or couch as me and my husband. I actually rewarded her with treats when she was a puppy for getting on the couch with me.

#23 ·
My little girl thinks too much touching gives her cooties. We snuggle sometimes according to her specified rules, anything else gets me a huff and she is gone. I can curl up around her but putting an arm across her is out of the question. She has to have her spot on the outside of the bed so she can easily leave. She is the same way with dogs. The boys used to like to lah up against each other, she cant stand boy germs. If I want her to stay a d snuggle I have go protect her honor, and the sacred wolf tail...so when the boy is rolling around like an idiot and suddenly wants to sniff her butt I fend him off for her.

The boy on the other hand...he is the pickle in the middle. He likes to smoosh in between me and my husband. He lays on my chest with his arms around my neck. He spoons my husband. He has no personal space issues. I love it. He is the snuggliest dog I have ever had.

#24 ·
My malis are super cuddly. My big male comes onto the bed real careful, you can hear him thinking hard because he has this way of breathing through his nose and he aligns himself and lies down just so, so that his head and back are as close to me as possible. I love that about him, because I can see how he is trying to be super gentle. Big floppy beast has been my cuddle buddy since before he could walk. My GSD isn't so much into cuddling, she likes to be very close, but chooses to lie on her own bed near me rather than on or next to me. The farts can be a problem, but, hey, it's a price I'm willing to pay.

#25 ·
Apollo lays on me all the time. He has done it since he was a pup and still thinks he is small. He does it every night. He don't stay there, but he will stay put for about a half hour.

He also doesn't have a problem with laying on other dogs, especially if he has to do so to get near me. Tannor is his dog of choice.

Reactions: Drodes
#26 ·
It doesn't bother me as long as I'm on the floor. Our dogs aren't allowed on the furniture. (200# farting Mastiff on the couch? No thanks.) Codi gets in trouble because she puts one paw on your lap, then the other paw then the rest of her body. Lots of floor cuddling though they also make really good foot warmers. Their main use I think other than sweeping the coffee table clean with their tails. Visitors learn quick that's not where drinks go.

#27 ·
my 1 y/o gsd will have bursts of energy late at night, lay down on me or my fiancée for about 5-10 minutes then shoot back up wanting to play again. My aussie likes to press his hind end up against your shoulder, lap or arm and isn't comfortable unless he can do that. sometimes when we are laying down he will just come up and sit on our heads... I think its part affection and part trying to wake us up lol

Reactions: MishkasMom
#28 ·
Hahahaha! Yes, this has also happened to me and I have to say, it is a little disconcerting to have a full grown German Shepherd decide to sit on your head. Although it is funny, or would be if I could get the hair out of my mouth, this is where I have to draw the line.

#30 ·
Jack likes to lay on our laps when he can. He's not allowed on the couch, but we'll allow him to lay across our knees when we're sitting. He makes wookie sounds once he gets comfortable.

He'll also lay on my legs when I sit on the floor, but he's learned that knees and shins aren't very comfortable so it doesn't last long. Eventually he just lays next to me instead. I do have to say, though, a rambunctious puppy whose giant head with big teeth is level with your face is a little intimidating. Thankfully, he has learned to keep his mouth away from my face in those instances.

#33 ·
Charlie likes cuddling on her terms especially in the morning 15 minutes before I have to get up. She lays her head on my leg. I love it I just wish it lasted longer but work overrules more snuggle time.

Reactions: Sabis mom
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.