German Shepherds Forum banner

Sense of humor

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
I've owned many GSD'S over my life and have noticed that they are one of the coolest breeds with a sense of humor.. Sometimes dry other times delightful... My gsd/malamute is goofy and would totally be a stand up comic, but my girl, she is always more controlled... Except when she plays her favorite 'cute' game 'cover monster'.

What is cover monster? Well you know when you put your hand under the covers and grab your puppy nose or leg and move it around like an invisible monster? My dogs used to love that game as puppies.. Well my girl figurehead would keep the game alive and roots under my top bedding and plays the game on my boy.. He of course enjoys it.... And I have to remake my bed (and change linen if she gets that deep~usually only under the cover sleeping bag ehi5isnused as the dog blanket)..

It made me want to hear of other comical things others see their dogs do... My boy has a lot of funny things but I think alot of that is the malamute goofiness in him..y other Shepherds used to have very special endearing and funny things as well, so, share your stories...

#2 ·
I used to have a German Shepherd named Scout who just loved it when I would cut grass. As I would be coming around the yard he would have all his balls and fectch sticks piled up right where I was going to be cutting. I would look at him and play fuss at him and he would be sitting in the shade looking as though he was laughing. I would throw all his things to where I had already cut. A few minutes later when I would come back again, low and behold all his things were gathered up and piled on the uncut grass right where I was going to be cutting and he was sitting there laughing at me again! We would go through this all summer and although I'm a lazy man and hate cutting grass it always made me laugh and it is fond memory that he left me to remember him by.

Attachments

#3 ·
... Except when she plays her favorite 'cute' game 'cover monster'.
That's my puppies favorite game right now, she's almost 12 weeks.

or maybe it's the game I like playing with her right now because she will perk up and look for movement, then she jumps up and pounds her two front paws down on the area that was moving. I'm amazed at her accuracy... I swear she's going to be a great mouser, lol

She also does this outside in the leaves, any movement and she's pounding it into the ground followed by her head buried in the leaves

#5 ·
@Tim and Kona~ They are amazingly accurate.. Watching my boy (keep in mind these are now 2.5yr old dogs) leap in the air because cover monster is biting his feet is hilarious.. My girl who is normally the 'fun police' and very dignified is making all sorts of noises and truly delighted... I had fun when they were pups, especially because blankets buffered those sharp teeth! Lol

#6 ·
Charlie does the crazy zooms at least twice a day and she wrecks havoc on any rugs anywhere and on beds if they are in her zoom area. Dhe also does a burrowing trick when she jumps in bed in the am especially if I've slept late .Lucky did the drop his toys on the next to be cut grass. Earned him more fetch time.

Reactions: Shooter
#7 ·
my boy will play jokes on my hubby. If it is early on a weekday and my boy doesn't want my husband to go to work, he lays on the floor in the way and won't get up. My sweetheart puts his foot under my boy's hips and slides him along the hardwood floor.

And then there are times when he challenges my sweetheart up on the bed. They love that game, especially after I've tidied up the sheets and blankets. I can hear my husband upstairs saying, "Dawn's not going to be happy" with a sing song voice. They challenge each other as to who is going to getting off of the bed and who is jumping back onto the bed when the other's back is turned.

#9 ·
Oh gosh, I've had two serious jokesters.
Many years ago, there was my beloved boy, Cassius, who came from a shelter. He was my life.

I'm not quite over losing him to hemangio at age four. Anyway, we called him Goofy for a reason. He took pratfalls. He drank out of the toilet and dumped the water in my then bf's lap. He was huge, he loved everybody and scared them silly.

He liked for people to hold his chewy bones while he chewed them. He once grabbed the plunger and ran rings around the outside of the house with it, looking ridiculous. I could go on for pages about his antics.

He matured between three and four into a magnificent, beautifully trained, completely devoted German Shepherd. I'll never forget our special bond.

Next, years later, was Yasso, aka Storm aka Norman (Stormin Norman, get it?). He was an alcoholic. He slurped up a spilled drink once and spent the rest of his days trying to do it again. One of his favorite tricks
was to carry a wine bottle around in his mouth.

His jokes were a bit more cerebral. As a puppy, he weaponized his pee. He decided he really liked having an outing at 2 am every morning. Not that he would pee, mind you. He just liked a good romp. Attempt to ignore him
and the next sound you will hear is pee hitting plastic crate. He took it to a new level by doing it lying on his back.

He really didn't like my abusive ex husband, and missed no chance to remind him.

He was quite fond of setting his butt down on the ex's pillow and laughing. He never once sat on my pillow. At a year old, Norman gave the ex a full body slam and shoved him out of the way while he chased a Kong. Quite amusing. I had to find the ex a more suitable home.

My current husband and I lost Norman, also to hemangio, at age twelve. It was so hard to watch that ball of energy slow down.

It's amazing how some GSDs have such great senses of humor and others have more serious turns of mind.

#13 ·
I understand about being a pain... Ranger's mission in life now is to prevent me from putting on pants or shoes. I love it but it can get exasperating. Then it breaks his heart if I go to the other side of the baby gate to get dressed .

#15 ·
In the morning I make the beds before I leave the house. Every morning like clock work Max will follow me and if he is downstairs I swear he hears the swishing of the blankets and quickly come up and then purposely jumps on top of my bed and lays there. He lays their with a grin looking all cute and cuddly trying to divert me from the task at hand. He knows my routine before I leave the house and will also lie in front of the door everytime. When my daughter comes home from school she does her homework right away. Max will take my daughter's pencil and give her the come get it look. My daughter gets mad but he is just seeking attention from her. I watch Max and watch how he teaches Luna to steal the decorations off the tree. He sits and stares at the tree looks at her looks then at the tree and grabs a ornament and she follows suit. They both keep taking our chihuahua ornament of the trees- lol!!! Luna likes to come and cuddle when we lay on the bean bags she comes in gives us love attacks which consist of 60 kisses. She now lays in front of the door with Max as Im getting ready to leave the house it is the the cutest of sites.

#16 ·
I watch Max and watch how he teaches Luna to steal the decorations off the tree. He sits and stares at the tree looks at her looks then at the tree and grabs a ornament and she follows suit..
Once in awhile, when my dogs are out in the yard playing and I have to call them in, I'll get that swapping of looks.

"You going in?" "I'll go in if you go in". "You staying out?" "I'll stay out if you stay out". "Woah! Is that one of the super yummy treats?" "First one in gets the biggest piece!" :grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.