Watches where he's been and not where he's going. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By squerly
  • 1 Post By Aly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Watches where he's been and not where he's going.

Here’s one for the trainers. Rex is 6.5 years old. We live on acherage so we walk quite a bit. When not being restricted to a heal, Rex will trot out about 50’- 60’ ahead of us and then wait until we are almost to him and then he trots off another 50’- 60’. Repeat, repeat, repeat. I didn’t train him in this activity; it’s just something he and his brother have done for as long as I can remember.

The problem is this; Rex is so attent to watching me that he often runs forward while looking backward. Today he was running across the field, looking backward at me, and ran into a tree. It was a thin white pine and it had a lot of “give” to it but he still cried out and limped back to me. And this isn’t the first time he’s run into something. We walked out the back door last summer and he was running down the driveway, looking back at me, and plowed right into the side of my truck bumper. This one was a little more sever but not enough to require a trip to see Dr. Todd.

He’s done this all his life and has run into things in the house as well as outside. More than once he has run down the hall, watching me of course, and turned his head back around just in time to catch the doorway with his mussel. He just doesn’t seem to learn.

I’m seriously concerned for his safety but I have no idea how to stop this activity. Anyone?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

I must be the only one with this problem. I guess I can train him to run backwards all the time. He'll look funny but at least he'll see where he's going...
melissajancie likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:57 AM

You have "one of a kind"? Be very proud! Sorry - trying to lighten things up for you. (one jeeper to another)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 AM
Aly

We had a similar problem with an aging GSD when I was a kid. Wasn't clear whether it was a problem with declining vision or inattention. So, my father started training Zip in a "Watch it!" command using doorways inside the house. They'd walk down a hallway, come to the door, and Dad would say (loudly at first), "Watch it!" and bang on the door. As soon as Zip slowed down and looked up/over at the door, he'd get an "Attaboy!" and they'd proceed. Rinse and repeat all around the house. Then Dad taught my brother and I to do the same thing, using doorways at first, then everywhere. Once Zip seemed to have the basic idea, we all started doing it outside. Took some time, but Zip did learn to slow his roll and look around before careening into trees, etc.
squerly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page