Vet handling - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
How? Part of learning to be handled is learning to be quiet. They had me bring him in when there were no other dogs at the end of the day. They blocked off a chunk of time to deal with him.
Just the way you said, they had him come in when there were no other dogs. You said something to the effect, sick or injured dogs that might scare him. I just added, sick or injured dogs that might scare him, or that he might scare.

Ok, here's the thing. Getting your pet accustomed to vet visits is all well and good. Then he doesn't need to be freaked out just by being there. Good. And I am glad you are doing it when there aren't other patients there. Because, they might not just scare him, he can scare them. And a sick or injured dog just doesn't need to be scared on top of being sick or injured.

But people go to the vet it seems more with healthy dogs than sick or injured dogs, and they all think their dog is just so putty and so fwendly, and so sweet that everyone and everybody's dog will just love him. Some don't even have a leash on their dog. "Oh he's ok, he's 13, and the old beagle mix is wondering right up into your dog's face. And it's all well and good unless the dog he wonders up to is sick or injured or dog aggressive. But somehow that dog managed to get all the way up to 13 with clueless owners.

People have to realize that people at the vet are there because their dogs are sick or injured and to leave them alone. A dog is more likely to attack when they are seriously hurting, and it's the worst time for a dog to attack.

Glad your vet is willing to set up a block of time when there won't be any other dogs there for all the dogs' sake.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Knighted Member

It's a good vet, much less crowded than the last one. They have a better office for waiting without being face to face with other animals. I don't know why vets have huge practices and tiny waiting rooms.

I'm glad you explained. I don't like having a dog that annoys people or other dogs. If there are too many dogs, I wait in the car. Mine doesn't need to be muzzled, it makes him hysterical and he does not bite ever. We tried the muzzle the previous visit and it made him more anxious so the vet suggest not using it. My last dog before the two I have now calmed down with a muzzle. They are all different. Plus he is much better if they are stuffing his mouth with treats. I ended up holding him and he could lick me without the muzzle on, so it kept him calm. We have came a long way. A few months ago he wouldn't let anyone restrain him. Now he stands or sits for restraint, but it took a lot of effort. He was a bit noisy at first just because he is like that anyway when he gets upset, but since there was no one else there, when he calmed down I worked on quiet.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Knighted Member

Talk to the vet about your concerns see what they say still if it makes you feel more comfortable muzzle would not hurt. A wire basket muzzle would make him more comfortable then those muzzles that make it hard to pant. I train all my dogs to wear muzzles just in case if needed at the vets office.

Every time I go to the vets office I see german shepherd wearing muzzles -many german shepherds do not make good patients at the vets office. Their senses are on overload. Bring your peppermints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

I tend to want to be with my dogs during procedures. Onyx was always fine being vetted until her spay. After that she became very fear aggressive with any vetting, and hated women(vets were women). I don't know if it was from the anesthesia, as she fights being put under since then, or if it was just a fluke.
I muzzle all my dogs for procedures, though Gambit is good with handling. I had his prelim hip/elbows done without me in his presence, he was fine. Karlo had to stay at MSU for two weeks to be vetted for acute kidney failure...I had to give all control and trust to those student vets. He was like a bull in a china shop when I came to visit, so then I had to limit my visits so he could heal.
Do what your gut feels is best, trust your vet...and like Deb said, most dogs do fine without their owners.
Onyx is a liability, I know very well she'd bite if she had the opportunity and most techs are intimidated by her aggression level. So I stay with her and handle her for everything.
Jenny720 likes this.

Jane~
Kept by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I bought a really nice wire basket muzzle for my old male, it allows them more room to open their mouth than any other I have seen. I was training him not to kill my livestock in FL so if he couldn't pant he would die.

It fits the boy good. Glad I get some more use out of it.

I am probably just going to stay with him. I meant to leave him for an hour of daycare at my old vet so he could learn to be kenneled but I did not trust them and he was having a fear period where it freaked him out if people stared at him, and I was afraid someone would walk buy and admire him and ruin the whole thing so I never did it
Jenny720 likes this.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, vet visits for me are like putting meds in the ears or clipping toenails -- They have to be done, so we are going to do it, and we aren't going to fuss over it. The dogs are fine, so I am not concerned with biting. If I must, I will put the dog in a sit and grab the ear and put the medicine in there. Or I will tell the dog to Knock It Off if he is struggling with his toenails. But I don't stop until we are done, so he better just let me do it. It is up to me not to lose my cool and to persist. The dog will come round a lot quicker understanding that there is no choice, and we're going to do this.

I don't walk around like a pez dispenser. I give treats to dogs for absolutely nothing. I get a bag of treats, and I will pass them out. I'm bad that way. I will train a puppy in puppy class using treats, and maybe into basic obedience, by the end of the first basic, I don't do treats. And even then it was only on training day during classes. So my dogs are out of luck at the vets. I am not going to be pumping treats in their mouth. Sometimes the dog isn't supposed to eat anyway, for bloodwork or surgery or just because their sick or if they are nervous or need to be anesthetized, it may cause vomiting.

Only if a vet or vet tech has done something rather invasive or painful, and the dog was a trooper, will I say, can you give her a treat, when it is all over.

Maybe it does signify that the bad part is over when they get a treat. But that works for me. When we leave the vet's office, I tell my dog what a good girl or boy she is. Never when we are going to. I'm usually saying something to the effect, "well, we got to get this figured out." and always in a matter of fact tone of voice. It's neutral. I am not telling the dog to be good, I'm not telling the dog they are good. If a dog is really hurting, I will try to be very careful, and I will say, "I know it hurts, honey, we're going to make it better."

When I have puppies, I will sometimes come in just to weigh them. Sometimes they get to say hi to the vet techs, and sometimes the vet techs will offer them treats. These trips are useful because the pup doesn't always get poked or stabbed. I think they are not necessary, but they may make it easier to not only go there when you are really ill or hurt.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:28 AM
Knighted Member

Selzer, my rescue was extremely timid when I got her. I put her in a puppy class and didn't want to treat. The instructor said food is soothing to a timid dog, so I tried it and it worked. I was able to condition her to all kinds of situations by using food. I don't like it for training purposes, but it worked very well when I needed it for fears. It worked at the vet, for places with loud noises, or around a lot of people.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well as for the "knock it off" approach. I tried that with my boy. It did not have the desired effect and seemed to increase his stress.

We now have a new thing where he may day he doesn't want me to do something and I tell him I know, but I have to. Then I give him a minute. He will then make a physical gesture like either giving me the Paw or leg, or turning his face away, sometimes I can tell he is not happy but is doing it because I asked. It is working well. His stress is way down, no growling, and there is nothing I have needed to do and couldnt.

Ear cleaning it do just grab him and do it because anticipation seems to be worse than the actual thing so I just get on with it as quick as I can.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Knighted Member

My dog was fine at the vet's until he injured his leg as at around 8 ish months or so (can't really remember, but less than a year old). The vet went to pick him up to put him on the table and he growled. At this point, he's fine with the people, but not with being restrained by them or having to be muzzled. I put the muzzle on, I hold him (I let the vet tech hold the back end), because my vet doesn't trust him anymore. A lot of the fuss he puts up now is from being muzzled at this point .. he hates it. When we're done, I take it off and immediately he nudges open the exam room sliding door and goes to say hi to the receptionist. He's completely neutral with the vet and the vet techs .. when he's not muzzled. I'm so tired of the vet saying at least twice during the visit to Varik, "I know you don't like us, but we like you". I tell him that Varik likes him fine, but he hates the muzzle.... <obviously>. Otherwise, he would go for him once the muzzle was taken off, but he'll cruise by the vet while going to say hi to the ladies (he's a ladies man) and paused to politely sniff him with a slight wave of his tail.

I've seriously thought about changing vets because he's so uncomfortable with Varik (in my opinion), but it's hard to change when you've been going to a place for 40 years (the old vet retired this year, but I've been seeing this vet for some years, too, as he was brought into the practice. I remember him as a vet tech there as well before he went off to college).

The vet always asks me if I can give him pills, put drops in his ears or ears, etc. and I say .. "I" can do anything with him. I guess he thinks he's a monster.
Muskeg likes this.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)

Last edited by Galathiel; 01-11-2017 at 11:13 AM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Master Member

The hold and make 'em approach doesn't work for all dogs. I mean, if you can physically over power the dog, I guess it can "work" but at potential cost of your relationship with the dog, the dog injuring himself, or even so much stress the dog experiences "capture myopathy" which I've seen kill wild animals during handling.

You can train a dog to "stand" and submit to procedures, I'd recommend holding or standing by his head, and then letting the vet do her thing. Anything more intensive, I'd just sedate the dog, with me present. When the dog wakes up, I'm there.

This is for my male, who is an extreme one-handler type dog. I would never drop him off, alone, because the stress would be way too much. I think staying with him while sedated, then being there when he wakes up is the way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page