Which is the best GSD Line for Dog Intelligence? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:20 PM
Crowned Member

Every dog is hard to train if you don't understand how to communicate to the dog. I personally find WL's easier to train. Generally, they love to work. Therefor, they want to work/train. Now as some said some dogs are more bidable than others. Individual dogs do vary. WL's can settle just fine. My dogs are not kennel dogs. They live in the house and go with us everywhere. Getting a dog to settle, a lot of the times is a conditioning issue. As far as drive levels, everyone's views of drive are different. The more dogs you've been around/worked, the better judge you can be on drive levels. To some a dog I consider low drive to them is high drive. It's in reference to experience. All in all, I find a well balanced, stable tempered GSD to be the best.

I like my dogs to be able to go from this

to this

to this at a blink of an eye

T17 Working Dogs-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:57 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
Every dog is hard to train if you don't understand how to communicate to the dog. I personally find WL's easier to train. Generally, they love to work. Therefor, they want to work/train. Now as some said some dogs are more bidable than others. Individual dogs do vary. WL's can settle just fine. My dogs are not kennel dogs. They live in the house and go with us everywhere. Getting a dog to settle, a lot of the times is a conditioning issue. As far as drive levels, everyone's views of drive are different. The more dogs you've been around/worked, the better judge you can be on drive levels. To some a dog I consider low drive to them is high drive. It's in reference to experience.
I totally agree. Although we've had GSDs for over 30 years, my experience with WL shepherds is very limited. Halo is higher drive than I was used to when we got her, but I have no idea if she's ACTUALLY high drive or not because I have no real basis for comparison. She does have a great work ethic, which has made training fun.

I also agree that calm behavior can be conditioned, like any other behavior. You can't change the genetics, but you can reinforce the behavior you want and manage the dog's environment to limit its opportunities to misbehave. I think this is overlooked a lot. People are always talking about giving your dog more and more and more exercise as a way to get them to settle, but how about actually making being calm a rewarding experience for the dog? I don't see nearly as much emphasis on that.
heroshepherds and BlueFalc0n like this.

-Debbie-

post #33 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

Our WL male is very easy to train, he loves working with us. He has intensity even for the routine stuff. Our girl Zoe is fun to train as well and she is every bit as enthusiastic as our male, but she is a bit "leaky". Both settle nicely in the home.
heroshepherds likes this.

post #34 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetti View Post
I don't know of any dog that can handle being trained for an hour at a time.

A GSD can be a fine first time owner's dog. It's just a matter of getting the right dog from the right breeder. My adopted girl, Lexi, could be handled by a six year old.

My suggestion would be that the OP look at the WGSL. Find a responsible breeder who does health clearances, OFA hips and elbows, DM, etc. Tell the breeder exactly the kind of dog you want, how much time you can commit to training and let the breeder choose the pup.

Training is a must for the GSD, they were bred to work closely with a human shepherd. Two ten minute sessions daily will get you a nicely behaved dog.
Not trained for an hour at a time. I was talking about an hour total, broken up into fifteen minute or twenty minute sections. My GSD bloodline is from Croatia> Zamp von Thermados and she has one hundred and fifty four Schuzhunds in her lineage. I once had some pet quality GSDs and they were not first time owner dogs either.
post #35 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:30 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Not trained for an hour at a time. I was talking about an hour total, broken up into fifteen minute or twenty minute sections. My GSD bloodline is from Croatia> Zamp von Thermados and she has one hundred and fifty four Schuzhunds in her lineage. I once had some pet quality GSDs and they were not first time owner dogs either.
I don't think an hour a day broken up throughout the day is necessary. I know some who has 6 dogs that know basic commands that are fine.
Essentially being willing to spend time with a dog is enough. That's with any line. Or any breeding. A lot of us have working line dogs with many IPO qualified dogs in their lineage. It all depends on the effort of an owner to spend quality time with their dog. Be it training or hiking, or interacting.
And any dog can be fine for a first time owner. If they are willing to put in the effort

Last edited by cloudpump; 01-09-2017 at 12:34 PM.
post #36 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think an hour per day is unreasonable. Training to exercise the mind, walking, running or throwing a toy to exercise the body. Doesn't take long to use up the better part of an hour. How much exercise a dog needs to tire them out is 100% dependent on the dog, regardless of lines or personal lineage.

Whether the dog is for first time owners depends on two things...breeding and the amount of time the owner wants to spend working with the dog.

post #37 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Zamp vom Thermodos is a show line.
LuvShepherds and voodoolamb like this.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.

Thomas Jefferson
post #38 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
I would say a German Shepherd dog is not a breed for a beginner. Be able to commit to an hour of training a day for the first year. at least It is not a goldendoodle or a pug.
I really hate when people say stuff like this.

A GSD is not a dog for an uninformed and unprepared beginner. I would even say probably not for an unsupported beginner.

I'm certain I'm not alone in having raised a well adjusted, well mannered, reasonably well trained GSD armed not with personal experience but with research, preparation, and the help and moral support of the knowledgeable people who were in our corner. But if I had a dollar for every person who said it was the wrong dog for me, that I'd mess it up, that I wasn't experienced enough to do a good job - I would have my next puppy's purchase price banked.
post #39 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
Zamp vom Thermodos is a show line.
Ooooooh, BURN...
post #40 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:10 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think Nurse Bishop has ever claimed to have a working line? I think it was just assumed from his posts about Schutzhund titles. I could be wrong because I don't keep track of old posts. But show lines have Schutzhund titles too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page