Which is the best GSD Line for Dog Intelligence? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:16 PM
Master Member

The story of Rin Tin Tin. He didn't have the best temperament, he was a biter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...gne-glass.html
heroshepherds likes this.

Last edited by zetti; 01-08-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroshepherds View Post
@[MENTION][MENTION];[/MENTION][/MENTION]

So what I've learned so far is; working lines = difficult dog to train, strong willed type. It sounds like It takes a calm collected trainer to train WL's.
Is there working line dogs that can be easy going, calm, not hard headed in training, yet turn the switch on when needed?
There can be working line dogs like that, but it's not what most are bred for. You would have to ask on the forum if anyone knows a breeder who breeds that type of dog. Mine is supppsed to be medium drive, but his is much drivier than the WGSLs I know. Compared to the highest drive dos, he is calmer and easier, but it's still challenging.
post #23 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
@[MENTION];[/MENTION]

So what I've learned so far is; working lines = difficult dog to train, strong willed type. .
No. My working line is very easy to train and wants to please. Some can be harder and some can be like mine. It's about the individual breeding. You will find this in all lines.

Quote:
Is there working line dogs that can be easy going, calm, not hard headed in training, yet turn the switch on when needed?
YES!!

You seem to be looking and want to learn. The best way to find the answers to your questions is go to a club and start watching the dogs. Look at some training seminars and go watch some methods. Where are you located at?

post #24 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:36 PM

I would say a German Shepherd dog is not a breed for a beginner. Be able to commit to an hour of training a day for the first year. at least It is not a goldendoodle or a pug.
post #25 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
No. My working line is very easy to train and wants to please. Some can be harder and some can be like mine. It's about the individual breeding. You will find this in all lines.

YES!!

You seem to be looking and want to learn. The best way to find the answers to your questions is go to a club and start watching the dogs. Look at some training seminars and go watch some methods. Where are you located at?
Thanks for the advice I have never been to a club or seminar but would love to start doing that since what I've currently learned is online and its probably not the same? youtube videos, Michael Ellis and others.
post #26 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I would say a German Shepherd dog is not a breed for a beginner. Be able to commit to an hour of training a day for the first year. at least It is not a goldendoodle or a pug.
I have two german shepherds, they are 4, and 5 years old. They are my first dogs ever, Initially training the first one was ok, not hard, then we added a second one and I did struggle a bit to train them both just for obedience due to lack of knowledge and training two dogs at once is hard, initially 15 minutes a day everyday.

Last edited by heroshepherds; 01-08-2017 at 08:00 PM.
post #27 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:42 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I don't know of any dog that can handle being trained for an hour at a time.

A GSD can be a fine first time owner's dog. It's just a matter of getting the right dog from the right breeder. My adopted girl, Lexi, could be handled by a six year old.

My suggestion would be that the OP look at the WGSL. Find a responsible breeder who does health clearances, OFA hips and elbows, DM, etc. Tell the breeder exactly the kind of dog you want, how much time you can commit to training and let the breeder choose the pup.

Training is a must for the GSD, they were bred to work closely with a human shepherd. Two ten minute sessions daily will get you a nicely behaved dog.
post #28 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

No. It's not the same. You can get a much better feel watching the dogs and asking questions

post #29 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:27 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
So what I've learned so far is; working lines = difficult dog to train, strong willed type. It sounds like It takes a calm collected trainer to train WL's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
This would not be an accurate statement.

Yes, there are working line dogs that are easy to train with an on / off switch.

A calm, collected trainer will do best when training any dog, not just WL dogs.
To me, strong willed doesn't necessarily equate to difficult to train. Halo is intense, extremely opinionated, and yet also very focused. She is smart, clever, devious, determined, but also cuddly and affectionate. I would not call her calm or easy going. She's my first WL shepherd after having 2 American line and 2 WGSL dogs, and while she was certainly challenging when younger because I didn't really know what to do with her drives, she was also the star of all of her obedience classes. The instructor in our puppy classes used her as the demo dog several times, and we were frequently pointed out to the other people in her classes as the example to watch because she was almost always way ahead of all the other dogs. If she was bored I could lose her to the environment but as long as I worked to keep her engaged with me, she excelled. She loves to train, and has not been difficult to train since she's easily motivated by either food or play. Which is not to say she's perfect, by any means.....

Halo also has an excellent off switch. My husband and I were both on our computers one weekend and I came out to find her snuggled into my couch throw:

At flyball practice and tournaments she waits quietly and calmly in her crate, but once she's in the ring she's bucking and screaming like a demented chimpanzee. She totally turns it on and turns it off. I like to say she works hard, plays hard, and then sleeps hard. Love her to bits.

-Debbie-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #30 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:33 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

This is what Halo likes to do when she's not keeping the couch warm, lol. That's my teammate racing her because I'd hurt my back box loading at the tournament:

-Debbie-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page