Well, here we go.... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:06 PM
Master Member

You are a brave, wonderful person for taking on a dog that obviously didn't have an ideal start in life. Good luck to both of you.

~Vesper~March 28, 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

No not brave. Just did not want to see another GSD passed around from home to home, passing through humane societies in between. Of five GSD's I have been in involved with, three have been through multiple homes and one is of unknown origins and may have been passed around. Don't know. It is not a good track record. None have been really aggressive, which would be my "line in the sand" This guy's coloring did not a appeal to me and I was not particularly interested in picking up another hand me down. I have not had 8 week old puppy in twenty years..but sometimes fate intervenes. And frankly, every day he grows on me and I hope one day he will be another perfect dog.

Interesting thing happened today. I had the stinker on a line. Wanted to take some pics and let him run a bit. The end of the line was under my arm and there it stayed. No pulling!!!! Does this mean he may have been inadvertently taught to pull on a leash or that he really needed a bit of room once in a while to be a dog? Got down on one knee in the snow to snap some photos on level with him and he came tearing back to me. I was laughing at him and rather joyous at this development. Then he did it again, and again and again, no matter if I was trying to get the picture of him running toward me (never did) or just walking on. He got a bit nippy with my hand when he reached me but I gently told him no and kept being happy.

We have lots to work on and no, the dogs have not been together yet. But I hope something important happened today.
Attached Images

squerly, Jax08, Deb and 5 others like this.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

I like those pics! Well done!

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

Hopefully, he can relax in your more experienced environment, and lose the need for negative behaviors. He looks like a handsome fellow. Good luck with him.
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:00 PM

I love love love! Majestic looking!
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:16 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

What a handsome boy and how blessed that you took him in! Please do keep us updated on how he is doing. Fantastic pictures!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like you have a good plan and some great goals. He is very handsome as is Milo. Looking forward to your posts about your progress.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Knighted Member

I just saw this. I would have recommended a two week shutdown but now I'm glad I didn't. He is responding very well to your home and to you. Much better than I expected after reading your first post. Give him as much exercise as he can handle, but realize he will need time to build stamina. Your older dog sounds very solid and calm, which will help a lot. You want the puppy to gain confidence. I had a rescue very much like yours. He had been tied in a yard for six years, with almost no exercise except when he escaped the yard and ran around. He had multiple problems with strangers but adapted almost instantly to my home. He was the only dog for a few years. Looking back, I should have had a second dog right away, as a lot of her weird behaviors, like spinning, went away when we brought in a second rescue. He learned a lot from her, even though she was very young. A puppy that isn't allowed to be a dog doesn't know how to be one. He will learn with you.

I believe that we get the dogs we are supposed to have most of the time. It's no accident that you saw him and then got a second chance to adopt. The same thing happened to a friend who fosters. She wasn't looking for another dog to keep, but a puppy kept being returned to her. Finally she said, I am meant to keep this dog, so she did. It was the best decision.
Chip18 likes this.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:06 PM

Great pics!! Sounds like y'all have been making some progress! Best of luck and let us know how he is doing!

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Crowned Member

WOW now that is a story! First congratulations and thank you for saving him! And we seem to be gaining a lot of new members as of late that have great instincts!!! As others have said and you appear to be already doing ... let him settle in. Rest assured that if hugs and kisses were all the doggy needed ... you would not have him. Once you provide that ... the rest will fall into place.

I tend to focus on the worst of the worst and most of that info is here.:

My 11 month old GS is crazy!

In there under "New Dog a Challenge" is "I just got a rescue ... what do I do??" It would not hurt to take a look. Aside from that yet another (important) link is here.:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Sit on the Dog and The Place Command, those are "extremely important" well for every dog but "especially" if you are dealing with a dog with "issues!" I think it's all pretty much in there but for right now the only thing I would be doing form that link, is "Sit on the Dog" the only requirement needed from you is to do uh ... "nothing!"

Welcome aboard and again congratulations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page