German Shepherds Forum banner

How Long Does It Take For A GS To Bond.

18K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Laura- Fur Mom of Reina 
#1 ·
If I may ask, how long does it take for a year and a half old German Shepherd to bond with a new master, especially if it did not grow up with him and new surroundings? The reason on why I ask is because I've had my male year and half old German Shepherd for 2 months already and whenever I go get him from his cage, there is no excitement in him to see me and whenever I got take him for a walk, it seems that he doesn't care for it. As if he'd rather stay home. He doesn't even come when I call him. For some reason also, even if I offer him a tidbit, he doesn't seem to be interested. In short, he cannot be bribed by food. Does anyone out there know what is happening and what should I do?
Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
First thing in the morning, around 6:30 AM, my GS gets walked around our village for around 45 minutes. Then afterwards, around 7:15 to &;30 AM , he gets to play around my garden for about 20 Minutes. After that, my GS is back to his cage. At around 9:30 AM, he gets his first meal. At around 5:00 to 6:00 PM, he gets walked around again around our village. When he gets back, a bit of play for about 15 minutes around our driveway. At 8:00 PM, he gets his second meal. Then around 10:15 to 10:30 PM, he gets a walk again for around 30 minutes around our village again. Then, when we get home, a bit of play in our backyard for about 15 minutes. Then back again to his cage for lights out.
Thanks.

#4 ·
Well, you described a very dull, and unexciting life for a dog, especially a German Shepherd dog.. No offense meant.. But you aren't doing anything to bond with him and the vast majority of his life is in a kennel.. 15 minutes of 'play' barely gets the kinks out of his body from being cooped up all day or night.. A routine walk has no engagement with you, sitting in a kennel has no engagement with you, eating his meal has no engagement with you, sleeping in his kennel... You get the picture...

GSD's are people animals, they are devoted and 'die for' loyal.. But you aren't his person yet, you are just the prison guard allowing his 15 minutes of air outside the walls... I know it sounds harsh but I'm trying to illicit an image in your mind... Try to picture yourself doing this routine and being loving to the person who locks you up and gives you 15 minutes of 'freedom' (?)... Doesn't conjure up strong feelings of love and devotion does it?

You can change this by playing with your dog, teaching your dog new things, going for walks that engage you and your dog, if he is trustworthy leave him out of the kennel during the day or night, let him sleep in your room... Show hike he is a part of your family by doing things with him other than menial or maintenance (food, potty...) and he will respond a hundred fold..

#5 ·
Bonding depends somewhat on the dog. Some dogs are very social and bond easily. Some dogs are very anxious and can bond easily or not. Some dogs are more aloof and take more care to bond with. Bonding doesn't necessarily just happen. If you want a good working relationship with your dog, YOU have to decide to work on it with him. Many trainers now use structured play as a way to bond with the dog. You can search on line for writing and videos on "engagement training". Take a look at Michael Ellis and Ivan Balabanov... I'm sure there are others. But they used structured play to infuse mental and physical stimulation into the relationship between you and the dog. This promotes a working relationship not just Master/dog. I have attached on such video. I guess my main point is that you have to commit and invest in the relationship, it does not necessarily fall from the sky.

Reactions: cdwoodcox
#6 ·
I adopted Hans when he was 18 months old.
It took awhile to feel like we were really bonded. At first, I thought we bonded immediately, but I think because he had been left outside in a kennel for about a year with no training or socialization, he was happy to be around anyone who would pay attention to him.

Unfortunately, the trainers I first took him to did not mention anything that would specifically help with bonding.
He is my first GSD and I assumed the bond would just come in time without any particular work on my part.
They never mentioned any DVDs I could watch on engagement or focus. No one ever talked about certain types of play helping to create a bond. I had never heard of Michael Ellis or Ivan Balabanov until I joined this forum. I don't think the word engagement even came up...

Eventually, I came to realize that even though I was giving commands and he was obeying, there was no particular joy in any of it...for either of us. He didn't really act like there was a person on the other end of the leash. After awhile, I taught him the "watch me" command and it was absolutely mandatory before he did anything. Watching me got him a lot of praise, and in turn, got me a lot of tail wagging. :)

Also, 2 months seems like a long time to you, but he may still need a little more time to get used to a completely different way of life and schedule.
What we typically do every single day is play with some obedience mixed in. I also take him with me everywhere I can, weather permitting.
Your pup probably needs more than a few walks per day.

#7 ·
It sounds like the only real time he spends with you is when you walk him. Does he have any free time in the house? When you walk him is it for exercise only? Do you engage with him when you walk him? Play with him on his walks? Or is it just a 'walk'. He needs more time with you, playing with you, not alone in the garden or walking around the village. He will give you what you give him. If it's only walks then he views you as a dog walker for lack of a better description. For him to bond to you, you have to bond with him as well. That means spending quality time with him, not just quantity of time.

#8 ·
What have you done since you acquired him? Did you do a two week shutdown?
I'd up play time to a couple of hours at least a day. How excited are you?
I have a feeling that while you physically are the owner, you still are not the owner in his eyes. Does he play tug? Chase a ball? Get excited. Reward him with excitement. Do everything an octave higher. Change up routines. It takes time, but it's worth it.

#10 ·
Whatever you put in, you'll get back. I got Deja when she was 9 months old. She only had one trainer; her own breeder. I had her with me at all times, crated off and on for short periods of time to give her some rest to digest the changes. It took 4 days before I felt that we were a team and she was reliable off leash (NO dog parks!!). That has been over two years now and it still grows and grows. I cannot imagine her not being with me.

#17 ·
there is no excitement in him to see me
There's a saying: What you give - it's what you get. In order to bond with a male dog you should play games interesting for him, playing his way (you have to learn how), that is: searching ( walking), hunting (finding objects in different environments) and fighting ( could be a tug game). Dogs aren't interested in balls, they are interested in game.

#19 ·
Mine not till I had her for 14weeks. All of a sudden she came up to me and loved on me. Who knows. I think it was because she wasn't cared for till I got her. Couldyou imagine your mom or the owners not let him get enough food so probably doesn't usually take that long.

Mine was only 1.88 pounds at 4 or 5 weeks old. Just a tiny bit over birth weight if I read up right.

#20 ·
Hi
I’ve been the proud owner of 5 GSD before my recent rescue of a 6 year old girl.
I firmly believe in the two week shutdown. Just my girl & me ( hubby & cat) no visitors, no dog parks no over stimulation. Lots of time & attention, chatting away to her usually about neighbours 😉 plenty of play, lots of exploring of our large garden. I have a sofa for her in the next bedroom, but Im happy for her to sleep in our room. It really is about time & building a relationship… routine is good but these dogs will reward you with total devotion with lots of love .. keep going it’s truly rewarding.

#24 ·
Play with your dog outside more. x3 1 hour play sessions.
Play with your dog inside more on a spontaneous basis.
Most GSDs love play more than treats.
For recall start offering extremely high value treats or toys.
Be excited around your GSD, be happy, be active, be playful, have fun.
If you're having fun, they'll have fun. If it feels like a dull job to you, it'll probably feel like a dull job to them.

#25 ·
Hi. We rescued our girl Reina when she was 7 months old. She was too much for her previous owners (and we later found out they lied when rehoming her--but we suspected that they were just not prepared for her). It took us a while to bond with her, even now--and we've had her for 14 months, I can't say the bond is as strong as it was with our former GSD, who we had a young puppy. But it continues to grow. Reina is very independent and aloof....it's just her and her personality. Training has been quite challenging because she just stops--she let us know when she's had her fill. Work with what you have and continue to build on it--it will grow with time. Reina is partially food motivated--she is NOT a voracious eater and I'm constantly struggling with getting her to eat--but I will find something that she DOES love (like fresh cooked chicken) and she'll do anything for that. Keep looking for that one item that she will respond to and use that. Or maybe it won't be food--maybe a tug toy, a ball or a squeaky toy. But most likely, your pup is still adjusting and learning to trust. Go with it....it will work itself out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.