German Shepherds Forum banner

Where do I (re)start?!

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Drodes 
#1 ·
all! It's been a while since I've been on, but I have been so busy with a job change and the boys' skin and stomach issues, so I've just been enjoying the company of my dogs ... Things have been crazy with the sensitivities and vet visits, but I'm really wanting to start back up with training them....... But I'm so lost as to where to start again!!!!
They know a variety of commands, some are sharp and some are lacking (and some are nonexistent). Some are reliable in distracting environments and some are only reliable when I have a tennis ball in hand.....

Here's some background to why we had to put a halt on training for a while....

Like I mentioned, my dogs both developed food sensitivities that manifested through digestional distress and the other through skin irritation.... The first culprit we believed was the food. Because my GSD was a pup at the time, my vet believes he developed an allergy (now we believe may be chicken) to the food he was on (Hill's Science Diet) so we decided to switch both of them. We switched to Pro Plan via the vet's recommendation, which solved my Aussie's diarrhea... But my GSD started having diarrhea. So again we have just switched foods trying to find one that works. For this reason, we stopped training with treats because we wanted to narrow down possible causes for the allergens and I wanted to be as strict as possible on their diets until we found the right combinations that worked. We started to do some training using tennis balls since both are very play-motivated..... Which worked with stuff like "stay" and "leave it".. But it was almost impossible for me to teach "heel" and I struggled teaching loose leash walking and I'm losing my dogs' focus and attention.

I know this isn't a food forum, and I don't request any advice there since we are still doing the trial-and-error search for a food that works for them..... My request is where can I start back with my training? I don't have the slightest idea where to pick up.

I'm thinking I'll have to start over from the very beginning; re-teach sit, down, stay, come etc? Any suggestions? How long? I'm also very overwhelmed when it comes to order and structure.... Because of the infrequency of our training and level of difference in commands, I don't know how much to retrain.

I'm inexperienced and making an earnest attempt to learn, so excuse my ignorance!

Thanks in advance ?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd start with the basics, the things you need them to do the most. First with consistency with no distractions and then with distractions. Then move on to the next item. Hope you're able to isolate what their allergy is. Perhaps you may need to consider they may have to eat two different foods, whichever works for each one of them.

#3 ·
Sounds like you're over thinking it and feeling overwhelmed.Go back to the beginning and train one thing at a time like Deb said.Practice in different environments,then go on to the next.
It's possible to teach heel with a toy.Very short sessions with lots of twists and turns to keep them on their toes.Using the ball to lure their heads into position (the body follows the head),then tuck it under your left arm as you walk, then a short game as a reward.
You'll be fine once you can break things down into smaller steps:)

#4 ·
Thanks guys! You're 110% right I'm overthinking it.. I have this aggravating type-a personality and I'm the same way with weight training programs.

What progressional order do youall (or anyone else) recommend? I know it probably doesn't matter much or benefit the dogs any more or less but the structure will more so help me.

Please excuse my ignorance I'm just asking questions and trying to learn!! :)

#6 ·
You're right,it doesn't matter which is first.You said stay is coming along nicely.So sit/stay,proof it.Down/stay,proof it.Loose leash walking whenever you walk of course.Add recall to the stays but not every time so they won't anticipate breaking the stay to run.Heel is least important for pet dogs.It can be handy,but if the leash is loose you can under normal circumstances guide them where needed and sit down when necessary.This is just a suggestion,so come up with a plan that works best for you.Have fun!

Reactions: Drodes and Deb
#5 ·
quote "I know this isn't a food forum, and I don't request any advice there since we are still doing the trial-and-error search for a food that works for them."

this is an all encompassing forum and food , wellness , are front and center in many discussions with some very good suggestions being given.

I think the majority would give the Science diet and Pro-Plan prescribed foods.

A while back there was a link given to food rating and these two were at the top of the list of the WORST .

Food affects mood and that affects training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.