German Shepherds Forum banner

GSD barking at new people and dogs

825 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  S.Dodge 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I have a 1.5 year old long haired german shepherd. We bought him from a family that was moving to the other side of the country and couldnt take him. He was at puppy school and is awesome with us and the kids. The issue i have is he barks at new people, either when they come over to visit or when walking him. I have a huge property so he is never on a leash and wasnt at the other owners either. He has met my parents dog and when they met the first time he ran at him wide open barking just to stop and sniff then play around, its the same with people, he will run at them but its not in a mean aggressive way, he just wants to meet them but is barking enough to scare some people. At the campground we go to he will growl at other dogs and people from a distance but thats about it. Once he meets someone he wont bark again, it seems like its the first time, but in public he seems like he wants to bark and lunge at people and dogs but would never bite, just wants to meet.

He also loves attention, he will play fetch all day and gets upset when i stop throwing the ball for him, not angry but just barks at me telling me to keep going, not sure if these are connected but im not to worried about this part.

Its not all people either, but i cant have him barking and trying to lunge at other people. Ive had him since May of this year. Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.