German Shepherds Forum banner

Confident in Water at 9 Weeks

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  babybunnychrissy 
#1 ·
I have a 9 week old baby who loves water. So much, in fact, that she jumps into every body of water she sees and quickly sinks. I always have a close eye on her so it isn't an issue, but I worry that if this keeps happening she will eventually develop a fear/hesitance. What have/would you guys do? We have a kiddie pool that she can play safely in but I'd like for her to learn to swim as fast as possible so I can stop worrying. Has anyone else has this issue?

#2 ·
My pup has always liked water also. She just seemed to know how to swim instinctively. If you don't want her getting in water for a while longer then just don't take her by water. This way your negative vibes don't have an impact on her. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. I bet she can already swim.

Reactions: Ripley2016
#3 ·
My parents have a pool in the yard and we'll be visiting fairy often over the next few months so I'll just have to watch her closely. You think she knows how to swim? I always thought it was instinctual but once I saw her sink for the second time I thought we might have to find some doggy swimming lessons lol. Maybe we'll try to swim some short distances and see.

#5 ·
Hop in the water with her and hold her in your arms while she swims around. Kind of like teaching a toddler. Let her do the work just put your arms under her in case she needs it. She probably won't be able to go to long at 9 weeks anyhow. Mine didn't get in actual water she could swim in until 13 weeks. Until then she just splashed and waded. I'm no expert on dog swimming just what both of mine done.

Reactions: DutchKarin
#7 · (Edited)
Life jacket. Apollo was about 10 weeks when I took him swimming with one of my dogs that was in rehab at the time. He swam the whole 30 minutes with a life jacket the first couple times(I needed to be sure he could swim), it was like the third time that the life jacket came off at about 12 weeks or so(he did not tire in the water--he just kept swimming, but he slept when we got home)--I should have known right them and there that he was going to be a water dog, he is a very strong swimmer now and LOVES water.

#8 ·
I'll get a life jacket! I would absolutely avoid pools if I could, but I live in the Southeast and they're in every yard we visit. It will be unavoidable at my parents' too. I don't know why I didn't think of a life jacket! That'll be perfect.

#9 ·
in addition to my own dogs, I used to dog sit and had access to a pool in the warmer months - regardless of age, size or experience, I did all of my pool intros the same the way that cdwoodcox explained. first lesson being to show them to the stairs. I very rarely had to do this more than once and have produced strong enthusiastic swimmers that never caused me any concerns.

I mistakingly assumed all dogs could or would swim until I watched a young dobie allow himself to sink multiple times. that's when I started the intros and even he learned to enjoy swimming.

Tilden is actually a better swimmer w/o the added layer of a life jacket - he was already an adult, but it weirded him out. Keystone is equipment sensitive and isn't a fan of water so I don't bother him with it unless paddle boarding.

#13 ·
I have a 9 week old baby who loves water. So much, in fact, that she jumps into every body of water she sees and quickly sinks. I always have a close eye on her so it isn't an issue, but I worry that if this keeps happening she will eventually develop a fear/hesitance. What have/would you guys do? We have a kiddie pool that she can play safely in but I'd like for her to learn to swim as fast as possible so I can stop worrying. Has anyone else has this issue?
Make sure there is an easy, gradual exit from the water until she's old enough and physically fit enough to jump out/over pool edges or barriers.

Our current two dogs were raised on a lake (from 8 weeks on). They're both confident, powerful swimmers. I use a life jacket to teach boat manners, but it didn't help either of my dogs "learn to swim". I think the restricted range of motion irritated them. I only use life jackets if we're on a boat and drop anchor in a deep area where there's nowhere for them to walk out/easily exit the water. I like the Ruffwear brand, someone gifted a second-hand one to me years ago, and it is still in great condition.

Monitor her closely in the water when she's small, don't let her over-exert herself. Dogs can get tired and cramp just like humans. The more they swim, the more powerful and adept they become. Initially they're more clumsy, more splashing, wasted effort. After a while, they waste less energy and are obviously comfortable.

Introduce different types of water, too. Both of mine had a bit of a learning curve the first time they swam in a river with a real current. I'd stick to warm, shallow, wave-free pools/ponds/lakes until she's older.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.