German Shepherds Forum banner

Exercising my dog

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 ·
Heidi is a year and a half. I walk her, run her, and started agility with her. SHE DOES NOT GET TIRED. Help. No matter how long I walk her, how fast I run her, more obstacles I put her through she pants a little drinks some water and then is back to being hyper. Any ideas on what to do? Or why she is like this? I love this dog. I want to do everything I can for her to have her be healthy and happy. Could her lines have anything to do with her energy level? I mean obviously working vs show lines have an effect but what about German lines energy level vs other lines energy level? Is that even a thing lol.
Sorry this is longer than I meant it to be.

#2 ·
Unless you are in extremely good physical condition "Olympic", you may never out run or walk your dog IMO. I utilize multiple dogs in exercise sessions to allow the dog vs. dog challenge and eventually they are all tired! Is this an option? Does she have ball drive? Tennis ball machine is another option! Cycling is also another option... Many many more options I'm sure.

#3 ·
When Carly was about your dog's age, my breeder asked me "does this dog ever get tired, does she ever stop!??". Well, only if I tell her to, LOL.

It did help that we had more than one dog. The wrestling and chasing helped to tire her out some. She was never what I'd call hyper or frantic, just always wanted to be doing something. Shes not a lazy girl! Hopefully your dog will get to a place where you tell her "enough" and she'll settle somewhere. Carly does, but she's always ready to go...

#5 · (Edited)
Physically tiring a GSD out isn't going to be a good long term plan. You might get in a few good days like that in but if you do it consistently enough...

You dog will just build more endurance lol

Well bred GSDs are high energy dogs. Regardless of their lines. They were meant to herd sheep all day. Not just move the sheep but to be constantly circling the flock. I think the difference is that some have more laid back personalities and less drive. A well bred show line dog doesn't have less energy per se then a working line dog, it's just that the show line dog doesn't have as much of that deep seeded need to USE that energy towards something productive.

Yes they need exercise. A lot compared to other dogs. My guy does best with 2ish hours a day of off leash running and fetch. He's working line and pet line mixed.

Here's the thing, given the opportunity off leash he will run and move and be all crazy. For about 15 mins. That's letting off excess energy and excitement. After the 15 mins he is right by my side ready to get to -work- His job is to fetch the ball. He will happily do it All. Day. Long. 2 ish hours is our sweet spot where his need to work has been nearly met and we've skimmed off enough from his energy reserves that it won't be difficult for him to practice self control. The trick is finding the balance for each dog as an individual.

Mental exercise is just as important as physical. I employ a lot of puzzle toys and training games to make up for the rest of my guy's need to work.

Out right hyperness though - i see that as a training issue. Some dogs need to have an off button trained into them and need a lot more practice and training with impulse control than others.

#6 ·
I on the other hand I feel it is a great long term plan.
For muscle breakdown and growth to occur you must force your dogs muscles to adapt by creating stress that is different than the previous threshold it's body has already adapted to. This is can be done by increasing the exercise of choice, continually changing the exercises so that you can damage more total muscle fibers and pushing your dogs muscles to fatigue while getting a “pump.” After the workout is completed, the most important part begins which is adequate rest and providing ample fuel to your dogs muscles so they can regenerate and grow.

But what do I know!:grin2:

#8 ·
My dogs are always wiped out after a day in the woods. Even a simple nosework class can be tiring.

#16 · (Edited)
I know I can never physically tire my dog out would injure myself trying. Long runs on the beach and swimming walking through trails training, classes, and bike rides through paths are what keep him content. I do enjoy it when he does seem a bit tired- a quick nap to reboot.Games of fetch with training tied in are other ways we have fun and get the endorphins flowing. If I had another dog that they can play together- other then our chi it would be another way to have some fun. Any consistent repetitive movements can be wear and tear on joints so footing is important. My horses mind would go numb on a hot walker hopefully not his joints.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.