German Shepherds Forum banner

10 week old pup

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tierney21 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey, I've got a 10 week old gsd pup, who goes by the name Caesar. He was a very passive dog when we got him, never did anything besides sleep, eat and poop. The occasional playtime but nothing extreme. Until about the age of 9 weeks old, he started to get wayyyyy more active. He now runs about, starts play time, and even does a couple tricks. He doesn't cry at night, goes a sleep at 11:30pm, and wakes up at 6:00am, which is the time I feed him.

Now he isn't a bad dog, he is house trained, I think he has missed the pads maybe 5 times in the past 2 weeks we have had him. He shows obvious signs of wanting to poop and wee.

However the biting is starting to get out of hand, whenever we play with him, he will nip, and sometimes he will nip harder than expected. I have made sure everytime he nips, I say "ouch" and put a toy in his mouth and walk away. However it doesn't seem to be working, I've tried giving him treats whenever he licks, however he has maybe licked me a grand total of 4 times.

He has started to tip over his food and water bowels aswell, which isn't majorly annoying, but just messy to clean up.

This is my first german shepherd however my family have had 2 before.

Would anyone be able to suggest any tactics to "stop" the biting of skin, or at the very least make it softer?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!In the puppy section you will find many threads about puppy "landsharking".That's what Gsd puppies do.It fades away after teething is over.When you redirect him to a toy engage him in play and make it more fun than biting you.A frozen Kong stuffed with various tasty treats will keep him busy for a while and sooth his itchy sore gums.

#3 ·
I have made sure everytime he nips, I say "ouch" and put a toy in his mouth and walk away. However it doesn't seem to be working

You are creating a chain -- bite till guy says ouch , get toy ! (all to myself even) yippee , says the dog.
this isn't teething , this is social behaviour .
Teach him how to express himself appropriately.

#4 ·
My puppy did this! I got him at 5 weeks old, which I had no clue at the time that you shouldn't get a puppy before 8 weeks. They learn a lot "play control" with their mother and litter. What worked very well for me was acting like a dog in that situation. When he bit too hard I would yelp loud like a dog would, yank my hand away, and stop play for a few minutes. I did that two or three times and he learned that if he bit too hard, the play would stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.