German Shepherds Forum banner

Introducing new bitch to existing bitch and dog

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Jax08 
#1 ·
I am considering buying a new German shepherd that is 1 year old into my pack. Our female is shy, jealous and very protective of my husband. How do I manage to introduction to limit any negative experiences on both sides?

#4 ·
I personally wouldn't do it. I only got a second female because my first female is so even tempered and balanced. I wouldn't want the drama , tension and issues.

#5 · (Edited)
Correct/Manage the issues/concerns you have described in your current dog 1st and do not allow this type of behavior(S) unless they are desired. :grin2:

Protecting against a non threat IMO is not protection it is extremely undesirable/potentially dangerous behavior

Shy behavior can often be the result of a lack of self confidence in the dog IMO it is extremely undesirable/potentially dangerous behavior

Jealousy DITTO!

What I do to minimize the negative experience of any type first address the concerns at hand with the existing dog and then and only then can I begin to expect different results IMO...

#6 ·
I have had multiple males before, never multiple females, mainly because before I retired, I wouldn't have trusted them together with only my sister home with them. And now I don't think I have the energy to try it, lol. I know there are people who do it successfully, but I believe it is with exceptional females and/or exceptional owners/handlers/trainers.

Susan

#9 ·
At 1 year old you have no way of knowing what her mature, female-female temperament will be. No way. Sorry. Some bitches HATE all females. But mostly bitches will get along with some for a time and not get along with others. Some are more likely to fight with certain bitches. Some are more likely to fight at certain times. Are both bitches spayed?

Spaying a bitch that already has issues will not help, and may make things worse. However, removing the heat cycles prior to problems beginning, might eliminate some problems.

A bitch that is showing what you describe as jealousy, most likely resource guarding, probably will not tolerate a young adolescent bitch getting attention and training from her man. It's kind of like your husband telling you that his old high school flame needs a place to live for the next four years while she goes to college, and he said she could move in. Is that going to work? Bitches have emotions that mirror some of our emotions, but are more raw, and it's hard to explain.

But, what you are contemplating is bringing home another animal that has less than a 50% shot at being ok in the present setting. Probably less than 10%. It may not go south for days, weeks, months or even a year. Once it does it could be devastating. You need to answer the following questions:

1. If I come home and my 8 year old bitch kills the 1 year old bitch, will I be able to treat her like the dog she is, and still love her?

2. If I come home to find my 8 year old bitch seriously injured or dead, will I be able to treat the 1 year old like the dog she is and still love her?

3. If I start to notice snarkiness between the girls can I keep them 100% separated ALL THE TIME?

4. Can I keep the dogs separated when I am not there, and constantly monitor interaction between them, forever?

I think you know the answer to this. I really think you do. It is hard to say know to a dog, when you find one you really want. Why are you considering a female? Why not a male?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.