German Shepherds Forum banner

Weird situation

926 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Emily42 
#1 ·
So I am in a very sticky situation. I live with my parents, they have a pure bred mini dachshund who is not fixed, she's about 10 years old so she doesn't menstruate anymore. I recently moved in with my 10 week old male GSD and if she's not snipping and barking at him she is sticking her but in his face and getting herself ready to mate. I have no idea what to do here or if there is even anything I can do.

#3 ·
They have no idea what to do and they're basically just hoping she eventually stops. We're all very torn because Lexi (our weenie) is a beloved family pet and we got Kylo (my shepherd) in a really messed up situation so everyone really babies him. He's our little runt. Basically none of us would ever consider getting rid of either of them yet we have absolutely no idea what to do.

#4 ·
I thought Babsy was done with heats as she will be 11 in August. She is currently in heat.

Your parents dog is a small dog, and they often last longer than large dogs, and their functional parts are unlikely to stop working on their own -- Bitches do not necessarily stop having heat cycles.

If your boy is fixed, no worries. If your boy is not, they can make puppies. And no way would I allow that to happen, as the bitch is so much smaller.

ETA: 10 weeks, yeah, he can't do anything yet. Don't worry about it. She will probably stop.

Reactions: Emily42
#5 ·
an intact female is at risk of pyometra - have her spayed and viola' - behavior stopped, female infections risk gone

Lee

#7 ·
If she were my dog, I'd probably get the female spayed since she's fully grown...then you won't have to worry about it anymore. I know many people don't like to spay/neuter their dogs, and that's okay too. In that case, I'd probably just separate them if the behavior becomes too intense, or if the little dog goes into heat. My male GSD is intact (1.5 years), but when we get another puppy, if it's a female, I will probably have one of them fixed eventually, not before 2 years of age.

#8 ·
I would hesitate spaying a ten year old dog unless medically necessary. Any surgery at that age is risky, especially one as major as spaying.

Since you have only recently moved in, I would start on correcting the female's behavior, the sooner the better.

Is your puppy doing anything to trigger her behavior? If he is, I would correct that too.

#9 ·
He thinks she's just trying to play, sometimes she'll snap at him for even being around her. I think its because everyone has to pay so much attention to him she gets jealous. I'm afraid since this is his first experience with another dog it might make him stand offish to other dogs. He never ever goes for her maliciously and everytime she snaps he doesn't understand and he has never gone back after her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.