German Shepherds Forum banner

Is this SA or just herding mentality?

987 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  lindsay1126 
#1 ·
Hi,
So our boy is 3 years old and the best dog we have ever owned. We live out in the country on acreage, so we are usually outside together with no lead and he is perfectly happy, but when we try to walk him he goes bezerk if my kids go too far away from us. We thought we just needed to do some leash training, but it seems to be more than that. I have been working with him daily in our driveway (very large open driveway) and once he was walking great on lead, I tell my girls to go to the other side of the house so he can't see them, and though he doesn't pull and jump on the leash anymore he still wines and barks until they come back into view. I have trying to make him sit/stay and only reward him when he is quiet and looks at me, is that the right thing to do? Also, does this seem like normal herding tendincy or SA? He doesn't really do it for me or hubby (a little but not as bad), but it's like he has to have my kids right there at all times.

Also would love any tips and suggestions on doing training for this, we want to start bringing him on hikes, but can't until he is not going to crazy if my girls walk ahead of us.

#2 ·
I think it is a form of separation anxiety.

What I would do, is play hide and seek with the dog. Also practice having the children go out of sight and come back. Reassure the dog that when someone goes missing they will come back or you will go and find them.

It is good exercise for the dog and good fun. kids can hide and the dog will go and find them when released.

You want the dog to remain calm when waiting for person to return or before he is sent to find them. This will encourage him to be calm when separated. I think it is good for the dog to be taught to deal with the pack splitting up and reuniting.

Sometimes you need to walk someone to somewhere and leave them. Dog shouldn't be stuck in 'always stay together' mode imo. You can't explain it to the dog sometimes so you need to be stern and let him know you are in control and everything is fine.

#3 ·
I agree. Can you tell me more about how to teach the hide and seek game? We don't have a good internet connection (downfall of country living), so I can't watch YouTube videos ?. If you could recommend videos I could buy that would be great too. I plan to get some private lessons, but we need to sell our house first, as money is tight with 2 mortgages.

#4 ·
Firstly to get dog used to people splitting up, you just stand with dog on leash, and let a person walk away out of site. Try to let the dog relax. After a minute the person comes back. walk on.

Then hide and seek is pretty simple. Hold dog and let children go hide together say close to you but out of site. Release dog to find them or run with him leading on leash so he finds them.

If your secure in your area you can split to 2 groups and one goes and hides. Gives a call when they're ready and you send dog to find them.

Then as the dog is searching for them, the first group hides. They then call out and the second group then releases the dog to find them. So it's over and back for the dog getting lots of exercise.

I find my dog likes to carry something from one person to another when searching. It can be a ball, canister or a stick.

Just a bit of fun, but i feel it helps a dog with issues when separated. If the dog likes it you can develop tracking, nose work, searching for items/people, food/toys etc. Idea is to work the dogs brain to keep him in good shape.

#5 ·
Ok so it looks like I'm off to a good start at we have been doing the 1st step during leash training. I didn't want him whining and barking when we hike and the girls run ahead. So I have been walking him, constantly in opposite directions when he wants to pull and then just stopping and having him sit, then I have the girls go to other side of the house (out of site and don't reward him till he quiets down and looks at me. Ok I will test out the hide and seek today, when it cools off. Thanks. I thought about scent work, but my daughter is starting 4h and wanted to do some agility training with him, which I think would be fantastic as I have seen him scale a 7ft fence in a Single jump to get in the car with my kids. Will that do the same thing for him?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.