German Shepherds Forum banner

Possible anxiety issue Pls Help!

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
My puppies name is Tasha.(1 1/2yr old) Recently she has not wanted to go out during the daytime. However, at night she is fine. This has progressed into a rather large problem. She is docile during the day and very much alive at night. She used to be normal all of the time. She was starting to scratch and destroy the door outside trying to get back in. I have stopped that behavior with an e-collar. (I am working with a trainer.) This problem predates the training. So now she just will not play or do anything else outside until about 7 pm.

Possible Causes:

May be scared of a noise- This does not seem to be it, she is fine at night and never been scared of noises. I don’t think this is the problem.

Laser pointer play- I have completely stopped using the laser pointer with her. I have read that this can give dogs anxiety. I was playing with her with the pointer for a few months prior to this happening. I feel so bad not knowing the possible problems. She was obsessed with the pointer; I should have seen a problem sooner. This is what I think caused the problem, she was so obsessed with the pointer she would drop a ball or a Frisbee. My thinking is that this play at night made her so she only wants to go out at night. She will not play during the day. Unless it the hose, or I start up a lawn mower. She will come running every time I open the drawer where the laser pointer used to be.

She is a great dog, however, this problem of not wanting to go out during the day is nuts. (2 acres on invisible fence) She is a female unspayed and was having 0 problems before this. I just want my old dog back! I am posting this in the hopes that someone can help me. Thanks for your time.
-John

See less See more
#4 ·
Where do you live? Could it be a heat issue?

I have seen a dog refuse to go out in their own yard because of the invisible fence. Owner fenced a huge yard w /it and you had to force the dog out the door and she would stand there with tail between her legs.

That wouldn't account for the day/night thing unless it is superstitious behavior because the first shock from fence was during the day or something.

#6 ·
Another thing that may help is to keep a stash of favorite treats and a ball in the drawer that held the laser pointer.It may help to recondition her to expect another kind of fun and forget about the laser.

#7 · (Edited)
I will do that with the treats. It has only been a week since the laser pointer was thrown in the trash. I live in Cincinnati, it is not hot this time of year. She is very well trained on the invisible fence. I may get her fixed to see if the combo of drugs and surgery make her forget about what ever is bothering her.

#8 ·
Hope your girl is back to her old self soon!It's so upsetting when we know they're unhappy.
Cowboysgirl was concerned about male dogs coming into your yard,not about your girl staying put:)

#10 ·
I have no ideas on why?? Light sensitivity makes sense, so vet check on her eyes could not hurt.

And you could use these in any case. :

So if it's light sensitivity ... problem solved. :)

Since you mentioned "Anxiety" ... have a look here:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/584842-separation-anxiety-=-shut-up-dog.html

Hmm, guess I did that awhile ago but the two things "I" would do are in there. "Sit on The Dog" and "The Place Command" more details and info are here:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Don't know if your a stay at home dog owner or not?? Any of these can be done in any case but the more time you can devote to them the better. All the details are in the links provided but in brief "Sit on the Dog" is what you do with dogs with "issues" or no issues actually but not my point. :)

You take the problem dog outside on leash and you "Sit on the leash" that's it. See how she reacts you want to be able to do it for at least a half an hour. And no treats, no touch, no talk, no eye contact you Sit ... that's it. At the end of the allotted time you say OK, and do whatever and back in the house you go. Repeat several times a day in hour or so intervals your call.

And work on the "Place Command" also and that can be done indoors to start and eventually should be able to do "Place" outside also. Pretty much a conflict free approach ... all it takes is time and patiance. :)

#12 ·
Thanks Chip, I have her trained to place. I am now working on distance, distraction, and duration with that command. I will give that link a read and am about to bring her into the vet. Thanks for your help, I have have been lurking on this board since I got my GSD. I have gotten some very good information on here. Thanks to all the board members for your help!

#13 ·
LOL stole a march on the "Place" thing outstanding!!

The "Sit on the Dog" I underestimated myself?? Bailiff say he has his clients do that and started to get PM's on Boxerforum asking about it!

And then I saw Jeff doing it with "Pig Dog" in a Home Depot, that clip is in the link ... I'm pretty sure??

Keep us posted of course. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.