German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Mistakes or right thing? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/484929-mistakes-right-thing.html)

Lobobear44 09-01-2014 06:57 PM

Mistakes or right thing?

I felt like I made many mistakes today. Lobo's owner is out brought him to my place. She's out right now 9/1/14. Already looking after a GS/husky mix (Bailey) who is a 1-year-old, wild pup. Also have Riley my lovely companion. For a lot of the time Bailey and Lobo we're getting along fine, drinking water together, playing, kissing, sleeping together. although there were a few fights. 1st was playing wrestling with Bailey, as Lobo walked over I don't know who started it but a fight came on. Trying to get all dogs to play. Luckily I separated them put Lobo in my room had him stay there for a minute. 2nd fight, a stick happened to be in the garage Lobo brought it out Bailey grabbed the stick Lobo and I followed her to the table. I was going to get the stick to put it away. As Lobo was present, Bailey growled and attacked then a fight but broke it immediately before anything happened. Then nap time since there wasn't much to do, Bailey got on the bed and then Lobo. Could see some whale eyes in Lobo's when annoyed from Baileys barking out of jealousy. Bailey would come over then Lobo seemed to have enough lunged at Bailey. Bailey didn't seem to know that Lobo was lunging at her. I pulled Lobo back and pushed Bailey off the bed. Then all 3 dogs laid down on by the bed. Think some of these problems were out of jealousy and possession. Got up kept Lobo in my room brought Bailey home, texted Lobo's owner what happened briefly.

I'm happy to take critism, my mistakes won't have Lobo over here around other dogs again. Things have changed I chose to cut down more on Lobo, that obsession made me realize my mistakes.

selzer 09-02-2014 01:41 AM

If this was actually a fight, and not play, if there was any blood, then you need to do more than separate them for a minute. Sometimes a dog's adrenalin can be up for days after a fight. So it would have probably been best to separate them completely until the owners could pick them up.

We may like the idea of dogs running and playing together. But some dogs just do not mix well, and it is better in those cases to keep them safe, especially if they are not ours.

MaggieRoseLee 09-02-2014 09:53 AM

If these were real fights, I'm with selzer, you need to not have these dogs together for awhile.

But continue to take the dogs OUT OF THE HOUSE separately and deal with 'socialization' and training in general. Putting you more in the picture so at least your dog looks to you BEFORE reacting to join the fight. I know my girls know they are NOT allowed to start anything. They also trust and know that I am there and will step in to deal with the situation.

If they did NOT trust/know I was going to deal with it. Or if they did not have the huge back history of meeting tons of dogs in my presence to KNOW what I expect of them (they don't have to love all dogs. they DO have to be 'polite' when around other dogs). This takes weeks/months/years of ME taking my dogs out and about and exposing them to other dogs so they know what's what.

I do NOT intentionally put them in a situation where they will get hurt. I also do not keep my dogs with other dogs I do not trust. My dogs. My responsibility. They take care of the little things and know to throw out all those 'calming signals'. I take care of the big things like NOT keeping them around other dogs I don't trust.

middleofnowhere 09-02-2014 12:18 PM

I'm going one further -- it appears you are pet sitting two dogs and have many questions about management. For your safety and theirs, quit letting them mix it up. Keep them seperated.

This is a way to insure their safety and yours, avoid trips to vets or emergency room (you), safe-guard your bank account etc.

Lobobear44 09-03-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 5975969)
I'm going one further -- it appears you are pet sitting two dogs and have many questions about management. For your safety and theirs, quit letting them mix it up. Keep them seperated.

This is a way to insure their safety and yours, avoid trips to vets or emergency room (you), safe-guard your bank account etc.

This was the other day, and the two aren't mine. One lives on my street, which was a lucky side. After 3 times made it clear making 3rd a worse part. Hence, Bailey was clueless she was about to get attack acting like a game. Lobo's had complete whale eyes when she annoyed him. Her poor social skills as well as Lobo poor social skills lead them separated completely. On top of that not neutered, plus perhaps lack of socialization realizing with a German shepherd even a pup people are scared. Making socializing diffucult for the dog than it would be for other breeds. For now on, going to be even more careful around that dog. He is unpretictable at times. With this lead her back home while Lobo stayed in my room.

Fortunately I managed the situation well, none of them were able to bite those 3 times. For this kind of thing, my reflexes and guarding up are strong areas.

All of the above I agree.