German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Is it ok to leave my dog and my cats alone for a week? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/484481-ok-leave-my-dog-my-cats-alone-week.html)

Beebz03 08-30-2014 10:41 PM

Is it ok to leave my dog and my cats alone for a week?

I have someone coming over 3 times a day to let the dog out and feed her as well as my cats. I am just worried my dog won't do anything weird like attack my cats will she? She doesn't do it now at all I can be at work for 10 hours and all of my pets have free roam of the house while I am gone, and they will while I"m on vacation.

She is VERY well behaved in home as a dog she never chews anything up at all even with being able to go anywhere, the cats are always fine, the dog will chase them a bit once in awhile but nothing too crazy. I am just worried because it's the first dog I have ever owned and left at home with cats. Does anyone have any experiences with this?

45yearsofGSDs 08-30-2014 10:45 PM

Personally, I've never had a problem with my shepherds and my cats. If he/she is/were a Siberian Husky, then I think you'd have reason for concern. But that's just my experience.

sit,stay 08-30-2014 11:03 PM

I don't think I would feel comfortable leaving the dog with free access to the cats and such limited human interaction. I would separate them (cats in a bedroom with the door shut).
Sheilah

RocketDog 08-30-2014 11:10 PM

Personally, if I'm gone that long, I hire a young adult, usually who's still living with mom and dad to come house sit for me. I like to have someone there with my animals and monitor the house. They typically like the break from mom and dad, too, and I'm more comfortable all around.

I admit I waited to leave the dog until he was almost 3, and I did make sure it was someone that could handle a GSD. But I also had a labrador that I trusted implicitly with the cats. I know Rocket wouldn't hurt the cats if I were gone that long, but I wouldn't want him alone without any human there for a week.

How is their relationship? Do they sleep together at night? Lay together during the day? Or do the cats only tolerate or even dislike the dog?

BahCan 08-31-2014 12:32 AM

A coworker did something similar to what you are asking, it was with a JRT and cats that had been living together for years, it did not turn out well for one of the cats. I personally would not give them free run together and would try to find somebody to stay over.

MichaelE 08-31-2014 07:55 AM

It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Ace GSD 08-31-2014 08:09 AM

The scary part is when the dog get bored

Beebz03 08-31-2014 08:15 AM

uh......maybe I will lock the cats in my bedroom

lyssa62 08-31-2014 08:56 AM

I couldn't do it....I agree I'd find somebody to house sit for the week or board the dog. There are just too many things that can go wrong and that's not something I would want to come home to :(

MaggieRoseLee 08-31-2014 10:05 AM

I wouldn't worry about the cats so much if there had never been an issue before.

I would NOT like to leave my dogs with out a ton more 'supervision' and the social aspect of being with people.

I know that I work out deals with my friends with dogs. And why I PURPOSELY socialize my dogs and have them out with lots of dogs making friends.

Because when I DO have to go (and I also have cats that I easily can leave at the house) I take my dogs OVER TO MY FRIENDS and they have a blast with a week long trip to stay with their best doggy friends!

I take my friends dogs when they have to leave, they take mine when I have to leave. We are all happy, dogs are all safe, we don't have to add a $$$$ for a kennel. And, frankly, my dogs have a vacation too!