Noisy in the car! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2014, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Noisy in the car!

Hey there everyone, long time no type!

Bear is a three year old male, lovely in most other aspects, but is very noisy in the car.

He gets so excited! I have a station wagon and a grille installed so Bear and Fred are confined to the back.

Fred is fine, a very urbane passenger, and Bear when he was young was also a very quiet and well behaved car-rider. As he got older though he got gradually noisier.

Whining, yelping, rushing back and forth in the enclosure. Very vocal in general, with lots of variety. He will settle while we are highway driving, but as we get into town, slow down and going round corners he will act up. When we get closer to a place he knows, the noise reaches a crescendo.

He will respond to commands to Sit, and he (I think) knows what the command "Settle" means as he will either sit or lie down and be quiet, but it is short lived. Back up and noisy in seconds.

What can I do to settle this down? It is very distracting for me, and not at all pleasant for someone sitting in the back set of the car and getting this in the ear.

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
Oskar der Drachen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2014, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Wow, would it help if you had him in a crate?

Be easy to put a cover over it too so he couldn't see and get nuts.

I know some people figure out ways to cover their windows, but though that may help for the dog not so sure how safe it is for driving...
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

The back of the wagon is in effect a crate. I saw one time on the training show that features the thin, dressed in black English lady?

They did the blackout thing in the back of the car to quiet noise.

Have you heard or seen anything like this done?

It would be fairly easy to black out the windows, but I don't know the progress or progression of training like that.

Ideas?

Contrary to popular thought, life does not hinge around big decisions at crisis points, but small everyday decisions that lead almost inexorably to crisis. Virtue lies in not being lazy when choosing, even in a small way.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar der Drachen View Post
The back of the wagon is in effect a crate.
As long as he can pace back and forth he has too much room. I would use a crate to limit his freedom of movement instead and cover it with a sheet to decrease his simulation. Maybe use a strong deodorizer to override exciting smells for him. Then ignore everything. Only turn off the engine when he is quiet so he won't be rewarded for whining (you may need to fill up your tank before you go!).
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2014, 04:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'll give that a go!

Might have to try and subdivide the back though, a plastic crate might slde around while driving?

Old 09-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar der Drachen View Post
I'll give that a go!

Might have to try and subdivide the back though, a plastic crate might slde around while driving?
Yes, it might. I have one and have it secured.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.