GSD's Do not approve.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default GSD's Do not approve..

A few days ago I was walking ty down the road and we were behind a woman doing door to door things, she stopped and looked down at her phone and we continued on by but ty was weirdly staring at her and as the words " come on" were leaving my mouth her thru down a full on hackles up bark fest, it stopped the minute I said no and I did not think to much of it because we have crossed lotsa people since but tonight he pulled the same crap with a man sitting still on his lawn chair and with the hackles up also. This has happened now with 2 people not moving, why is this? Again tonight we passed many of people, even this man that walked behind us for a while. .he was very interested in him and turned around alot to look at the guy but no barks, when I came home we met the paper boy and zip nadda nothing, perfectly happy ty except for his weird episode with the unmoving lawn chair guy.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

does he have any vision problems? The people not moving may freak him out if he can't see them correctly
blueangele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

sometimes i wonder if they sense something we don't... the breeder our GSD is from, for example, won't sell any of her puppies to people that her adult GSDs don't "take" to. if her adult dogs aren't friendly towards the people, she assumes there is *something* off about them. she told me it's only happened twice, but she feels better safe than sorry. (of course we didn't know this when we met her and her pack-- thank goodness they liked us ) who knows!
Bruin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I wonder too if it's something they sense. Not necessarily that they are a bad person but maybe some sort of illness or mental thing going on... a perfume, cologne, smell of some sort or even if they aren't a good person. I know that Titan has been fine with everyone for the longest time and one day he nipped a man.. for a reason unknown to me. He never did it before and hasn't done it since. We went to a one on one trainer for it afterward and she said she honestly feels like it was something about the guy that set him off because he was absolutely stable and well tempered and that was the concensus of a couple trainers too. *shrugg* IMO sometimes they just sense something.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ty is weird. I do not think its a vision problem, he sees bunnies from 5 houses away. A few months ago a child grabbed him out if the blue while I was walking him, a full on hug from a strange child, I think myself and the toddlers mom both had moments of heart failure but ty just continued on as if nothing had happened. So toddler hugs is okay but how dare you stop to read a text msg. I guess I just have an odd ball but I was curious if anyone else had a dog that reacted weirdly to movements or lack there off.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hmm.. Thinking about it like that.. Titan reacts to voices.. if that makes sense. Like our neighbors can be outside doing whatever and he doesn't care, and I know he sees them, there is usually a pause and stare then moving on, but as soon as they say something to eachother, or especially to me, he starts barking.

Chalked it up as a weird quirk or some protection thing. Maybe he just doesn't like them being still, he feels everyone should be moving around!

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe it is the herdiness
Old 08-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jax will react to a person who is not moving. Especially one frozen. It's not natural to them. If they keep moving, they don't draw her attention. Freeze and she's on you.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Anything unnatural can/will cause such a reaction.

A person approaching a glass door, hesitating, then backing up will send my older shepherd into a barking fit because that's *weird*. People come through the door, not approach and back up hesitantly.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Watch two dogs that are unsure/unknown to one another. If one of them freezes up during initial greeting it's going one of two ways, intense play or all out fight. A human going dead stop while walking and refusing eye contact or recognition of your presence is a strong signal that it's about to go down.

I run at mine and freeze up last second, hands out in a "grabby" stance. My dogs go ballistic, they know a good rough play session is at hand.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.