new 6 year old GSD Not housebroken - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Red face new 6 year old GSD Not housebroken

About 3 weeks ago I brought home a 6 year old male
He had spent the first 5 years or so in a crate
He was taken back by the original breeder who had him for the last 8 months
When she got him he could hardly walk , was emaciated,and had worn his front teeth down to little nubs trying to get out of his cage
I took him to the vet and he has some sort of auto immune problems and lytic bone lesions. Which due to the locations may. Not be caused by a tumor
We recently started him on prednisone and antibiotics

Anyway he is a sweetheart, and just wants to be loved.
He was never housebroken and we are having a rough time getting him to get the idea of what is allowed and what isn't
Today my daughter took him out every 45 minuted and he still managed to pee in the house twice
I understand that the medication will cause him to urinate more frequently and that is one of the. Reasons that we take him out so often
We praise him when he does his business outside and don't create a scene when he goes in the house
He is an intact male
Any ideas on how to get him to control himself better?

We also have a 1 year old female GSD butt I won't get into the issues,with her and my male
Grybeards
Greybeards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 11:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

create a safe fenced area where he can do his business by himself.
Some dogs will not relieve on lead while being walked.

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

As he is intact, he will mark over any areas your female may have had an accident. If your female is intact, he will mark over any area where she has marked. Because he is six, it would be difficult to change this behavior, even if you choose to alter him. Saying it's difficult, doesn't mean it's impossible. It just means you'll need to be really, really on your game. Find out what motivates him and use it.

My male will not poop on a short 8' lead. When we are out of town (and staying in a hotel) I take him out on a 50' tracking lead that I have. You don't need one that long, but use a line that allows you to give him some room to find his spot away from you. I would NOT get a flexi lead.

Remember to reward him for going to the bathroom in the area you want him to. Even though he's an adult, you are still training him as you would a puppy.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I neutered my rescue at 2, and at 3.5 years he is still marking exactly where my female goes. He also is very particular about his pooping habits, and, no, he won't go on a leash, he has to have his "space."

On the flip side, one of my rescues came to use freshly neutered, he was about 5 or 6, and he totally gave up all his testosterone-driven bathroom habits, went anywhere, on leash, off leash, didn't matter to him. And he never had an accident in the house, bless his heart, my Rosco.

I wonder whether it matters that Orick, my current boy, is straight Czech bloodlines with all the drive, and Rosco was ASL and pretty mellow. Hmmm.

Susan
Susan_GSD_mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan_GSD_mom View Post
I neutered my rescue at 2, and at 3.5 years he is still marking exactly where my female goes. He also is very particular about his pooping habits, and, no, he won't go on a leash, he has to have his "space."

On the flip side, one of my rescues came to use freshly neutered, he was about 5 or 6, and he totally gave up all his testosterone-driven bathroom habits, went anywhere, on leash, off leash, didn't matter to him. And he never had an accident in the house, bless his heart, my Rosco.

I wonder whether it matters that Orick, my current boy, is straight Czech bloodlines with all the drive, and Rosco was ASL and pretty mellow. Hmmm.

Susan
My Lacy (intact) would poop on my foot if I was in the way. It's like he is chasing a butterfly and then says "Oh yea, I've got to poop". He never has an accident in the house (either does my GSD, who is a closet pooper).
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2014, 03:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

How wonderful of you to take this older guy on and give him a great chance! Hat tip to the breeder as well...

Have done this with several older dogs. Lilie is right, just train him as you would a puppy. They need time to learn to connect the building bladder pressure, & develop the correct muscle control, so waiting and asking becomes a habit. May take a big longer with the prednisone, that does complicate it. Took a couple of weeks, maybe a month, but those dogs were immaculate after that.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Usual drill, restrict access to the house, he will 'graduate' in due time to having full house privileges. Crate or ex-pen when you cannot keep an eye on him. Lots of cookies for going in the crate if he worries about that from his past. On a 6 ft leash in the house so he has to stay by a human.

Best of luck!
Pioneer53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.