German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Help with 1yo - Destructive Behavior (1st post) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/468825-help-1yo-destructive-behavior-1st-post.html)

chpurc 07-09-2014 01:12 PM

Help with 1yo - Destructive Behavior (1st post)

Hello GSD forum - this is my first post and i'm have some trouble with my 1 year old boy. He's a great dog .. very friendly around people and other dogs - except people with dogs get scared as he's huge!

I'm single and work 9-5.

I got him at 4 months .. he was crated when I lived in the suburbs up until 3 months ago when I moved to the city.

I moved to an apartment building with 12 people, so I didn't want to crate him due to being scared of people working night shifts, sleeping during the day and him barking all day.

He was very destructive of my personal stuff, but also destructive of the apartment (i.e. he chewed on the door frame and window ledge)

The result was my landlord ending our lease - which was ok because I got to find a bigger place.

I figured with a bigger place, he would be ok - he could roam around the apartment. The result was him ripping up and destroying the carpets on the steps, which my new landlord saw.

I have now vowed to never let him out of his crate again while i'm not in the house.

City life is great, i take him to a dog park every night, or doggie day care, so he gets great interaction with people and other dogs. 45min at the dog park at night and he's ran about 5 miles (tennis balls, chasing around other dogs, etc..)

So I give him a good life and a ton of exercise .. but living his life in a crate is not the way to live. However I work 9-5, and can't be there during the day to watch him. When he's with me, he is NOT destructive at all, but when i'm gone, he is very destructive.

I'm not sure what to do - sorry for the novel

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps844b7670.jpg

mego 07-09-2014 01:25 PM

any way you can come home for lunch and give him a short run/ play session, or do you know anyone that could? Maybe just a break from the crate for 30 min mid day will help. A dog walker, friend, etc.Sounds like he definitely can't be trusted out of the crate

chpurc 07-09-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mego (Post 5753825)
any way you can come home for lunch and give him a short run/ play session, or do you know anyone that could? Maybe just a break from the crate for 30 min mid day will help. A dog walker, friend, etc.Sounds like he definitely can't be trusted out of the crate

Sorry forgot to mention - yes I go home every day at lunch or have a dog walker let him out ..

But that still doesn't solve the problem of him living his life in a crate.

Which I don't know how to solve because he's only destructive when i'm not there so it can't be corrected

Tim&Marth 07-09-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chpurc (Post 5753761)
Hello GSD forum - this is my first post and i'm have some trouble with my 1 year old boy. He's a great dog .. very friendly around people and other dogs - except people with dogs get scared as he's huge!

I'm single and work 9-5.

I got him at 4 months .. he was crated when I lived in the suburbs up until 3 months ago when I moved to the city.

I moved to an apartment building with 12 people, so I didn't want to crate him due to being scared of people working night shifts, sleeping during the day and him barking all day.

He was very destructive of my personal stuff, but also destructive of the apartment (i.e. he chewed on the door frame and window ledge)

The result was my landlord ending our lease - which was ok because I got to find a bigger place.

I figured with a bigger place, he would be ok - he could roam around the apartment. The result was him ripping up and destroying the carpets on the steps, which my new landlord saw.

I have now vowed to never let him out of his crate again while i'm not in the house.

City life is great, i take him to a dog park every night, or doggie day care, so he gets great interaction with people and other dogs. 45min at the dog park at night and he's ran about 5 miles (tennis balls, chasing around other dogs, etc..)

So I give him a good life and a ton of exercise .. but living his life in a crate is not the way to live. However I work 9-5, and can't be there during the day to watch him. When he's with me, he is NOT destructive at all, but when i'm gone, he is very destructive.

I'm not sure what to do - sorry for the novel

http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps844b7670.jpg

OP,

I have the same problem with my 15 month old. At this point, I have attributed it to bored energy. It does not matter how many bones, toys, antlers Olivia has, she chews on her toy basket or a towel. Olivia is crated during the day with a walk in the middle. Hoping it is something she grows out of, as she is an angel if left out after serious activity. She just sleeps.

Hope this helps.

flyfisher22 07-09-2014 01:31 PM

Mine has no problem being crated 9 - 5 (really 8 - 5:30 with commute). Sounds like a bored dog who needs more boundaries. Exercise as much as you can and crate for at least another year during the day. Especially if it is someone else's property that is being destroyed........

Cute pup!

Cam

chpurc 07-09-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfisher22 (Post 5753881)
Mine has no problem being crated 9 - 5 (really 8 - 5:30 with commute). Sounds like a bored dog who needs more boundaries. Exercise as much as you can and crate for at least another year during the day. Especially if it is someone else's property that is being destroyed........

Cute pup!

Cam

How do you know if you're not there all day? He/she could be barking all day long ...

flyfisher22 07-09-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chpurc (Post 5753937)
How do you know if you're not there all day? He/she could be barking all day long ...

Well my last dog barked some and my current dog does not, just depends on the dog. I tend to find that they will bark themselves out and learn to settle eventually, actually may bark in the house even if not crated anyway. Not to mention they can't get themselves in trouble by destroying property and possibly eating something harmful to them. In my opinion it is an easy choice.

I also own a rental property so this conversation makes me cringe a little and reminds me why I am so particular about the people and dogs I rent to....

Cam

chpurc 07-09-2014 03:20 PM

Agreed - my place is beautiful and now I have to walk on those stairs everyday and it's driving me crazy.

Glad to see some of the responses in here, makes me feel less inhumane for crating him all day

RiverDan 07-09-2014 03:29 PM

How old is he now? Maybe he is just a little young to be out all day?
Our guy slowly got his freedom. One room at a time, starting at one year. He is eighteen months now and the house is his. No problems.
I think exercise is key with GSDs. Mentally and physically. (probably every dog)

GSDMark 07-09-2014 04:21 PM

Chpurc, the destructive behavior is more than likely from boredom and separation. Crating is OK, but since you're concerned about possible barking while you're gone I have a suggestion. I mailed ordered a DOGTEK NB-SBH Sonic Birdhouse. It is an ultrasonic device that looks like a small birdhouse, powered by a nine volt battery, with three sensitivity settings. When placed in the area where it is undesirable for the dog to bark it will emit an ultrasonic sound only he can hear and is uncomfortable to his ears. Mine only barked twice before he figured out what was causing that nasty sound and now just the sight of the birdhouse quiets him down. BTW, did you offer to repair the carpet on the stairs? Could keep the peace. Just a thought...