German Shepherds Forum banner

Help with 1yo - Destructive Behavior (1st post)

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Msmaria 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello GSD forum - this is my first post and i'm have some trouble with my 1 year old boy. He's a great dog .. very friendly around people and other dogs - except people with dogs get scared as he's huge!

I'm single and work 9-5.

I got him at 4 months .. he was crated when I lived in the suburbs up until 3 months ago when I moved to the city.

I moved to an apartment building with 12 people, so I didn't want to crate him due to being scared of people working night shifts, sleeping during the day and him barking all day.

He was very destructive of my personal stuff, but also destructive of the apartment (i.e. he chewed on the door frame and window ledge)

The result was my landlord ending our lease - which was ok because I got to find a bigger place.

I figured with a bigger place, he would be ok - he could roam around the apartment. The result was him ripping up and destroying the carpets on the steps, which my new landlord saw.

I have now vowed to never let him out of his crate again while i'm not in the house.

City life is great, i take him to a dog park every night, or doggie day care, so he gets great interaction with people and other dogs. 45min at the dog park at night and he's ran about 5 miles (tennis balls, chasing around other dogs, etc..)

So I give him a good life and a ton of exercise .. but living his life in a crate is not the way to live. However I work 9-5, and can't be there during the day to watch him. When he's with me, he is NOT destructive at all, but when i'm gone, he is very destructive.

I'm not sure what to do - sorry for the novel

See less See more
#2 ·
any way you can come home for lunch and give him a short run/ play session, or do you know anyone that could? Maybe just a break from the crate for 30 min mid day will help. A dog walker, friend, etc.Sounds like he definitely can't be trusted out of the crate

#3 ·
Sorry forgot to mention - yes I go home every day at lunch or have a dog walker let him out ..

But that still doesn't solve the problem of him living his life in a crate.

Which I don't know how to solve because he's only destructive when i'm not there so it can't be corrected

#4 ·
Hello GSD forum - this is my first post and i'm have some trouble with my 1 year old boy. He's a great dog .. very friendly around people and other dogs - except people with dogs get scared as he's huge!

I'm single and work 9-5.

I got him at 4 months .. he was crated when I lived in the suburbs up until 3 months ago when I moved to the city.

I moved to an apartment building with 12 people, so I didn't want to crate him due to being scared of people working night shifts, sleeping during the day and him barking all day.

He was very destructive of my personal stuff, but also destructive of the apartment (i.e. he chewed on the door frame and window ledge)

The result was my landlord ending our lease - which was ok because I got to find a bigger place.

I figured with a bigger place, he would be ok - he could roam around the apartment. The result was him ripping up and destroying the carpets on the steps, which my new landlord saw.

I have now vowed to never let him out of his crate again while i'm not in the house.

City life is great, i take him to a dog park every night, or doggie day care, so he gets great interaction with people and other dogs. 45min at the dog park at night and he's ran about 5 miles (tennis balls, chasing around other dogs, etc..)

So I give him a good life and a ton of exercise .. but living his life in a crate is not the way to live. However I work 9-5, and can't be there during the day to watch him. When he's with me, he is NOT destructive at all, but when i'm gone, he is very destructive.

I'm not sure what to do - sorry for the novel

OP,

I have the same problem with my 15 month old. At this point, I have attributed it to bored energy. It does not matter how many bones, toys, antlers Olivia has, she chews on her toy basket or a towel. Olivia is crated during the day with a walk in the middle. Hoping it is something she grows out of, as she is an angel if left out after serious activity. She just sleeps.

Hope this helps.

#9 ·
How old is he now? Maybe he is just a little young to be out all day?
Our guy slowly got his freedom. One room at a time, starting at one year. He is eighteen months now and the house is his. No problems.
I think exercise is key with GSDs. Mentally and physically. (probably every dog)

#10 ·
Chpurc, the destructive behavior is more than likely from boredom and separation. Crating is OK, but since you're concerned about possible barking while you're gone I have a suggestion. I mailed ordered a DOGTEK NB-SBH Sonic Birdhouse. It is an ultrasonic device that looks like a small birdhouse, powered by a nine volt battery, with three sensitivity settings. When placed in the area where it is undesirable for the dog to bark it will emit an ultrasonic sound only he can hear and is uncomfortable to his ears. Mine only barked twice before he figured out what was causing that nasty sound and now just the sight of the birdhouse quiets him down. BTW, did you offer to repair the carpet on the stairs? Could keep the peace. Just a thought...

#11 ·
Nice suggestion .. honestly there's only one other apartment in my new place, i don't think barking is an issue. I should have crated him from the very start but i was naive.

How old is he now? Maybe he is just a little young to be out all day?
Our guy slowly got his freedom. One room at a time, starting at one year. He is eighteen months now and the house is his. No problems.
I think exercise is key with GSDs. Mentally and physically. (probably every dog)
He's 12 months in July .. he gets plenty of exercise .. even the day after i take him to doggy day care he was destructive

Thanks everybody for the replies

#12 ·
If you think crating sucks for a dog, you should see how much an intestinal blockage from destructive behavior sucks :( .

Most of us crate our dogs while we work, for their safety, and our dogs still lead full and happy lives. It's fantastic that you can get home during lunch and break the day up- that's a luxury most of us don't have. Use it to your advantage! It's never too late to crate train a dog... I had to re-train my four year old. Crate Games is an excellent DVD (and you can find free videos on youtube) and it helps in so many areas besides just crating.

It also sounds like he doesn't get a lot of training. A dog can be exercised to death and still be bored... mental stimulation goes a lot further than physical exercise. A bored, understimulated dog is a destructive one. Try incorporating fun obedience games into your daily exercise! It's a great way to build your bond and help with separation anxiety, too.

#13 ·
He has separation anxiety. Check out Patricia McConnell's booklet, "I'll Be Home Soon." She gives you a protocol for counter-conditioning your dog to get over SA. I did it with Rafi (who had terrible SA when I adopted him) and it worked.

#15 ·
I second this. Not sure about the book but the behavior sounds like classic separation anxiety. I read somewhere that most destructive behavior that stems from SA happens within 45 minutes of you leaving. Maybe wear him out in the morning if you can. doggie day care and dog walkers are a great idea, as you know.

#14 ·
I also think this sounds like separation anxiety. There's a product I used w my boy when he right around your dog's age. Worked for us. Comfort Zone D.A.P. Diffuser. They also offer a liquid that you apply to his bedding but not on the dog directly. I think they may also offer a collar. Petco and Petsmart both carry it. Good luck!

#16 ·
Can you try doggie day camp every other day, if you can't take him every day. Ask for the specials or buy package in advance when you can. I find its cheaper than having a walker since our walker charged 30 an hour and day camp was just 25 when I purchased the package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.