German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Female White Gsd behavior questions (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/465570-female-white-gsd-behavior-questions.html)

Guzzo 06-30-2014 09:24 AM

Female White Gsd behavior questions

So she is about two years old now. We have had her since she was about 6 months old.

I have a few questions.

1. My dog sleeps in the weirdest cramped spaces for a 80 or 90 lb dog. These spaces are for a ****zu.

2. Separation anxiety or what?
She doesn't want to go outside without my wife or I, she won't leave our side. Whether using the bathroom or sleeping.
Like Velcro. Not a bad thing, we appreciate the nature of this breed.

But last night out of nowhere she pooped in the house after we let her out for 30 minutes. She won't leave the deck.

She knows not to get on the bed or couch etc.. We do not crate her, when we leave she sleeps on our bed. All the shedding we can tell!
And sometimes gets in the trash!
What is she telling us?
When we come home she is ecstatic I just feel we are going to be fueling this fire on the long run.
Very protective of us. Gets in the middle of anyone and our children and snarls. Won't let anyone enter unless I give them the ok. I love it but want to know what and when I need to worry.
Pack drive? She also sometimes moans growls at my 2 year old. Wouldn't bite her or anything but I don't know if that is her trying to set her straight or if it is an alpha thing?
Will answer all questions!
Thanks!

Twyla 06-30-2014 09:45 AM

As you said - velcro. Which is very cool, but man it can get crazy sometimes. Like when they stick their head in the shower, then you have to laugh when hey get a face full of water and get that look.

Has something happened in the backyard to scare her? Any wildlife?

Without being home when she gets on the bed, you can't redirect or correct it. Close the door to avoid it. Same with the trash. If you aren't there to correct, put the can in the pantry, closet; just where she can't get to it.

I am concerned about the snarling and getting in between anyone and the kids. If there isn't a threat, it would be appropriate to be watchful, but not snarling.

I am also concerned about what you describe as moan growls at the 2 year old. What is happening when this occurs? Is it random? Is the 2 yr old being a typical 2 yr old and curious yet just not quite sure how to interact with a dog yet? Definitely get a trainer involved in this to get eyes on what is happening. Monitor ALL interaction between the baby and dog. Family Paws-New parent classes dog and baby can give you some ideas and also provide a list of trainers.

Guzzo 06-30-2014 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twyla (Post 5710522)
As you said - velcro. Which is very cool, but man it can get crazy sometimes. Like when they stick their head in the shower, then you have to laugh when hey get a face full of water and get that look.

Has something happened in the backyard to scare her? Any wildlife?

Without being home when she gets on the bed, you can't redirect or correct it. Close the door to avoid it. Same with the trash. If you aren't there to correct, put the can in the pantry, closet; just where she can't get to it.

I am concerned about the snarling and getting in between anyone and the kids. If there isn't a threat, it would be appropriate to be watchful, but not snarling.

I am also concerned about what you describe as moan growls at the 2 year old. What is happening when this occurs? Is it random? Is the 2 yr old being a typical 2 yr old and curious yet just not quite sure how to interact with a dog yet? Definitely get a trainer involved in this to get eyes on what is happening. Monitor ALL interaction between the baby and dog. Family Paws-New parent classes dog and baby can give you some ideas and also provide a list of trainers.

As for. The. Backyard. We live in the country so yes there is wild life. Never been an issue. She loves the cows and other then that there really isn't anything.
When I say snarling I must redirect that because re reading it isn't correct.
She growls and barks when someone comes into the yard, if the kids are outside she makes sure to place herself between the stranger and the kids. And growls and barks until I say stop. Then she just barks or groans never leaving her alert.

With the two year old, she is going on 3 and is very smart. She doesn't hit the dog or climb all over her. It is more or less so if the dog is sitting or something all my kids except my youngest can wrestle her attack her and do whatever they want. Ages 6 3 and 2. So there isn't much difference.
She still protects them all equally and has never shown teeth to my kids.

She doesn't usually show teeth except for 2 select people she just absolute hates. She will not attack unless I command it. She watches people like a hawk until she sees I deem them ok. Watches my hands and body it is weird! As well as them.

As for the sleeping in tiny areas?
She is very submissive to my wife and I but not so much anyone else.

blueangele 06-30-2014 10:19 AM

Dog's like 'cave' like places to sleep. My dog sleeps with his head under the beds, I am sure if he could he would crawl all the way under. He has a kennel and was so happy when I put a board on top on made it more 'cave' like.

Whiteshepherds 06-30-2014 12:37 PM

There are a lot of reasons she could be doing the things she does. Lack of confidence, weaker nerves, untrained, undisciplined, because she can, because you let her get away with it. None of those are insults, just common reasons why dogs do the things we don't want them to do. :)

You said she will attack if you command it. Is she trained in personal protection? If so it would make no sense that you can't control her in common everyday situations. (or can you?...not really sure what you're asking) Maybe 'won't attack unless you command it' wasn't what you meant to say?

Placing herself between the kids and strangers-Assuming you don't have a problem with intruders there's no reason why she should be allowed to do this especially if she's growling or snarling in the process. Have you tried to stop the behavior? Does she guard her food or toys?

Velco dog, they can be, but you can train them to not follow you every place you go if it bothers you. Some people love it.

Agreeing that something must have scared her out in the yard. Assuming she goes off the deck again now? Is she afraid of loud noises? This time of year she might have heard fireworks in the distance or thunder, could have been that if she's sensitive to sound.

Sleeping in small or strange spaces-not uncommon.

Guzzo 06-30-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds (Post 5711233)
There are a lot of reasons she could be doing the things she does. Lack of confidence, weaker nerves, untrained, undisciplined, because she can, because you let her get away with it. None of those are insults, just common reasons why dogs do the things we don't want them to do. :)

You said she will attack if you command it. Is she trained in personal protection? If so it would make no sense that you can't control her in common everyday situations. (or can you?...not really sure what you're asking) Maybe 'won't attack unless you command it' wasn't what you meant to say?

Placing herself between the kids and strangers-Assuming you don't have a problem with intruders there's no reason why she should be allowed to do this especially if she's growling or snarling in the process. Have you tried to stop the behavior? Does she guard her food or toys?

Velco dog, they can be, but you can train them to not follow you every place you go if it bothers you. Some people love it.

Agreeing that something must have scared her out in the yard. Assuming she goes off the deck again now? Is she afraid of loud noises? This time of year she might have heard fireworks in the distance or thunder, could have been that if she's sensitive to sound.

She just does not like strangers around. Once I say it is ok she may bark or groan but after a minute it is ok. Like today, we were outside, someone pulled up and got out. We were not aware, she ran over, charged them. Stopped about 5 ft from the stranger and just barked. I became aware and called her. The end.
She has some pp training and she is off leash obedient since the training I can't count the times I have leashed her. Have used shock collars when we go shooting, she doesn't mind loud noises.
She isn't afraid to leave the deck. But more or less so doesn't want to be away from us.
I don't mind the protective instinct or her standing between the kids and someone else. You never know who is bad. So it is a good thing. We had a feral dog show up and charge my kids at one point and she settled that very quickly. It did not end well for anyone. So after that I love the fact she is protective, but I think it may be overboard at points.
I am very strict on her when I am around. I don't allow very much of anything
Most of it is when we are gone.
She barks out the window when people show up and we are inside.
By no means is she just uncontrollable or viscous. It is more situational awareness coming from her. I just am not sure how I can control the excessive part.

Guzzo 06-30-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds (Post 5711233)

She does not get toy or good aggressive. My youngest she groans at if she try's to take it, but that has been sometime because I started working on that and haven't had a problem since.
I can take or give anytime I please as my wife and kids as well.
They say they are one owner dogs but I believe she iloves my wife and I equally.

How can I tell lack of confidence etc..?

Twyla 06-30-2014 06:48 PM

You are answering the questions you asked. People are responding with what they see in your questions.

The 2 concerns I listed are still valid.

:shrug:

Chip18 06-30-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twyla (Post 5712497)
You are answering the questions you asked. People are responding with what they see in your questions.

The 2 concerns I listed are still valid.

:shrug:

This ^^^

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guzzo (Post 5710578)
With the two year old, she is going on 3 and is very smart. She doesn't hit the dog or climb all over her. It is more or less so if the dog is sitting or something all my kids except my youngest can wrestle her attack her and do whatever they want..

Uh,wow??? :eek:

Gonna post this to be helpful, other than that I'm out! Good luck!

Leerburg Dog Training | Dogs and Kids Articles