German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Ideas to exercise dog while owner has a broken foot. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/463281-ideas-exercise-dog-while-owner-has-broken-foot.html)

GSxOwner 06-23-2014 12:37 AM

Ideas to exercise dog while owner has a broken foot.

Hello,

I am trying to think of some ways to exercise my GS X...while I am waiting for a broken foot to heal :(

My gs is not ball driven and does not care for fetch otherwise this would be a lot easier haha. I can think of a million ways to keep her mentally stimulated but not so many physical ways. She loves tug of war and stuffies (she wants to be chased when she has a stuffy which I obv cannot do). Im also in the city and I can't drive with my cast to take her to a dog park or anything.

Suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Nigel 06-23-2014 12:46 AM

Does she like flirt poles? Could be a little awkward with a brace/cast, but might be doable.

Pax8 06-23-2014 12:59 AM

Flirt pole FTW! :D Besides that...Do you think she would enjoy seeking out toys (maybe stuffed ones if normal toys are not enough reward)? "Go find X" games might be good.

jocoyn 06-23-2014 05:06 AM

When I broke my ankle, I farmed my little wild child out to someone I trusted. I was in a walker for 8 weeks because they pinned it and did not cast it.

onyx'girl 06-23-2014 08:56 AM

I rolled my ankle in April, tore ligaments and broke a bone in my foot. It was hard to keep the dogs entertained, at least they had each other to romp around with while I was on crutches.
I hope you heal quickly.

Msmaria 06-23-2014 11:20 AM

I looked on you tube for dog tricks and training I could do that didnt involve me walking or hopping around. Examples Settle, bang your dead, hold items, nose marking on my hand then we switched to a color circle that I held out using a straw then a broom. I also had the kids walk him. If you dont have grown kids maybe you can hire a dog walker.

canyadoit 06-23-2014 01:19 PM

Treadmill dog powered

wolfie13 06-24-2014 10:49 AM

I'm sorry that you are hurt. I think you could do a treadmill. Could also try the fishing pole. That may work and I don't requires for you to be up. Could also try learning fetch.

Daisy&Lucky's Mom 06-24-2014 01:02 PM

Do you have a fenced in area like a tennis court the fishing pool idea as flirt pole would allow you to sit cast the line with something to get the dog to chase might work. Mental games like hide it are great. There's also Trieball check it out on the dogs sports section of the forum.Not sure if it would be to much with your broken foot. The other thing but would cost money is a dog walker.treadmiil would tire her out physically.

GSxOwner 06-27-2014 02:12 PM

Hmmm I thought about the flirt pole,but she gets so obsessed over thigs like that I am sure she would knock me over trying to get it haha. She is uneasy around my exercise ball but maybe I could work on that try treiball. Thank you for the ideas if you think of anymore pls post!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App