German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Year old too friendly help (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/460874-year-old-too-friendly-help.html)

shepmomma 06-16-2014 04:40 AM

Year old too friendly help

I have a GSD she's almost a year old...in the beginning she loved all people now she's starting to be cautious aroud strangers-which isn't bad I kind of like my arm not ripping out of the socket every time a human walks past her :crazy:
But around dogs...she's still crazy...wants to meet every dog pulling towards them, lying on the ground and catapulting herself when the dog comes closer to us...really frustrating...
If she knows the dog it's even worse-crying loudly cant shut her up..
It's kind of my fault we started doggie school really early i think this started the problem/the love for other dogs...
She got bitten a couple of times-just because she doesn't read the other dogs body language and just comes straight up in it's face(never slowly or sniffing the butt first)...
So please any ideas:help::blush::D

DutchKarin 06-16-2014 09:12 AM

My Dutch has a tendency to do this too. He is a year old. Right now he is learning that is not okay with me. He knows "watch me" "heel" and we work obedience around other dogs on a prong so I can correct him. I also am working with play around other stable and leashed dogs. I have had to work hard with this dog to make myself more interesting than other dogs. I'm learning that it is the initial energy of a meeting and he usually calms down after that.

Ace GSD 06-16-2014 09:13 AM

Hahahha you have created a happy monster !! srry i cant help im a first time owner and my puppy only 14 weeks old but good luck.

DJEtzel 06-16-2014 09:24 AM

Teach focus on you. Reward for that when dogs are in sight and engage with her. Give her something else to do, and stop approaching strange dogs when your dog is very elevated in intensity/energy.

shepmomma 06-16-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchKarin (Post 5647282)
My Dutch has a tendency to do this too. He is a year old. Right now he is learning that is not okay with me. He knows "watch me" "heel" and we work obedience around other dogs on a prong so I can correct him. I also am working with play around other stable and leashed dogs. I have had to work hard with this dog to make myself more interesting than other dogs. I'm learning that it is the initial energy of a meeting and he usually calms down after that.

Well she's very bright..knows a lot of commands can stay when i say so...but sometimes some dogs just surprise you(no owners around off leash ones)...i don't know if I'll ever be more interesting then a new doggie friend lol

llombardo 06-16-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepmomma (Post 5648378)
Well she's very bright..knows a lot of commands can stay when i say so...but sometimes some dogs just surprise you(no owners around off leash ones)...i don't know if I'll ever be more interesting then a new doggie friend lol

I would much rather have a GSD that won't tear a dog up for approaching it then one that will. If your always out and about it's going to happen, so I think there are worse things. She just needs to learn manners and introduce herself the correct way and not in another dogs face.

shepmomma 06-17-2014 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5648530)
I would much rather have a GSD that won't tear a dog up for approaching it then one that will. If your always out and about it's going to happen, so I think there are worse things. She just needs to learn manners and introduce herself the correct way and not in another dogs face.

well yeah i know it's a milion times better to have a friendly dog vs. an agressive one but still it's a bit much...Manners... I don't know if she'll ever get it...it's like i was hiding her under a rock all her life haha :laugh: like she wasn't social at all...could I maby help her/teach her aproach a dog the right way? Once I tried, asked the owner first if they could meet...then i approached the other dog in an arch(like they should not staight on) and to the bum first it was fine...but i didn't know if this is ok to do or not...:confused:

llombardo 06-17-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shepmomma (Post 5651066)
well yeah i know it's a milion times better to have a friendly dog vs. an agressive one but still it's a bit much...Manners... I don't know if she'll ever get it...it's like i was hiding her under a rock all her life haha :laugh: like she wasn't social at all...could I maby help her/teach her aproach a dog the right way? Once I tried, asked the owner first if they could meet...then i approached the other dog in an arch(like they should not staight on) and to the bum first it was fine...but i didn't know if this is ok to do or not...:confused:

Finding a older stable dog to introduce can go a long way.

shepmomma 06-19-2014 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5651962)
Finding a older stable dog to introduce can go a long way.

thank you for this suggestion i was thinking about this for a while too-she could feed off the older stable dog's energy...she did meet a few older ones and they usually ignore her :laugh: or growl when they had enough which is usually in 5 min after they meet-she doesn't get it and just wants to annoy them more haha she's crazy...