Goes Ballistic over spraying water - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Goes Ballistic over spraying water

My 2yr old male FREAKS out over sprinklers, water from hoses, faucets, anything water!! And I don't mean scared. He bites furiously at the water stream and where it's coming from. If I turn off the water he will destroy the hose or sprinkler where the water was coming from. He totally ignores me when I call him out or to stop. I adopted Zeus 5 months ago, he is an intact male and is of course a virtual ball of energy! How can I stop what I call 'water aggression.' My grand kids cant play in the sprinkler when he is loose and I definitely cant water the lawn or wash the car unless he is inside. Help please!
GSDMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can't help you but I've seen this kind of behaviour before where a dog tries to bite the stream of water coming from a hose. My dad's sheepdog Turbo has been doing it all her life and she's just about 10. But she was never aggressive, she would try and bite it and would then bark at it, then bite, then bark. She never tried to destroy the hose or sprinklers at all and as soon as the water was turned off she would go off and mind her business. It looked like she was just playing and she never looked aggressive at all. If we called her off to do work, she would leave the water alone.

I do hope you can solve it.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

sounds like he's just having fun. Just leash him and don't let him destroy things. If he ignores you you aren't managing it well and I wouldn't have him off leash until he obeys your leave it or recall to get away from the stuff. A lot of dogs find the hose/sprinklers really fun, mine goes nuts too, but if she gets carried away when it's game over I call her off and if she tried to ignore me I'd leash her.

On the plus side it's an awesome way to tire them out I ask mine "wanna play hose" and then she knows she's allowed to go nuts:

Last edited by mego; 06-16-2014 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typo
mego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mego, that's such a lovely picture. They look like they are having a lot of fun.
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Its just fun but don't overdo it. They can get water intoxication from it as they wind up consuming a lot of water.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you everyone! I agree I don't have as much control of him as I should in the seemingly short five months I've had him. I will work on that but meanwhile will restrain him if he gets out of control while having so much fun!
Thanks again for your time!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

He's having fun; Bear loves playing with the water hose too. However, there need to be rules - and definitely no destroying the hose afterwards. You control the game. The dog needs to wait, leave it, and quit the game on your command. I would be very careful letting him out with your grandkids until he is better trained, and even then running kids and water may be too much for him. When Bear was younger he was trying to catch the water and my hand got in the way - he was so in the zone that he was oblivious and nailed my thumb in the process. It's easy for them to get carried away, and it takes time and patience to make this an enjoyable game for everyone.

Here's my guy after a game, ready for more!

DSC_0259
osito23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDMark View Post
My 2yr old male FREAKS out over sprinklers, water from hoses, faucets, anything water!! And I don't mean scared. He bites furiously at the water stream and where it's coming from. If I turn off the water he will destroy the hose or sprinkler where the water was coming from. He totally ignores me when I call him out or to stop. I adopted Zeus 5 months ago, he is an intact male and is of course a virtual ball of energy! How can I stop what I call 'water aggression.' My grand kids cant play in the sprinkler when he is loose and I definitely cant water the lawn or wash the car unless he is inside. Help please!
Cruz is the same way. He is actually borderline dangerous. He goes to another level.

I have a theory with this. I think It's not really the water itself but the noise it makes when it comes out. At least that's what I think it is with Cruz. Cruz was exposed to one of those airburst things at the pet store. It sounds almost like a cat hiss only louder. He doesn't like either of those sounds. It sends him into high aggression. He does not like anything that hisses and will aggressively go after it.

The only way I have curbed this is the use of the e-collar. It's the only thing I have found that will break his focus once he's hit that high. Only reason I use the e-collar is because it's how we train now. I use an off command. It's very effective. But as has been discussed here before, get the aide of a trainer if you go the e-collar route.

You can try a leave it command or get his recall down solid. Timing I think is very important. You have to get his focus before he ramps up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
jafo220 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by osito23 View Post
He's having fun; Bear loves playing with the water hose too. However, there need to be rules - and definitely no destroying the hose afterwards. You control the game. The dog needs to wait, leave it, and quit the game on your command. I would be very careful letting him out with your grandkids until he is better trained, and even then running kids and water may be too much for him. When Bear was younger he was trying to catch the water and my hand got in the way - he was so in the zone that he was oblivious and nailed my thumb in the process. It's easy for them to get carried away, and it takes time and patience to make this an enjoyable game for everyone.

Here's my guy after a game, ready for more!

DSC_0259
That sounds very familiar! I found out about his water attraction when I first bathed him with a hose. I also almost lost a thumbnail when he lunged for the spray. Its comforting to know that it isn't all that unusual.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

All 3 of the GSDs I have had over the years love the sprinkler, hose or faucets.....it's entertaining most certainly.....they go bonkers for it.

Funny thing is....my current gal doesn't care much for the rain.....what's up with that?

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.