German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Goes Ballistic over spraying water (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/460834-goes-ballistic-over-spraying-water.html)

GSDMark 06-15-2014 11:44 PM

Goes Ballistic over spraying water

My 2yr old male FREAKS out over sprinklers, water from hoses, faucets, anything water!! And I don't mean scared. He bites furiously at the water stream and where it's coming from. If I turn off the water he will destroy the hose or sprinkler where the water was coming from. He totally ignores me when I call him out or to stop. I adopted Zeus 5 months ago, he is an intact male and is of course a virtual ball of energy! How can I stop what I call 'water aggression.' My grand kids cant play in the sprinkler when he is loose and I definitely cant water the lawn or wash the car unless he is inside. Help please!

Yoshi 06-16-2014 12:30 AM

I can't help you but I've seen this kind of behaviour before where a dog tries to bite the stream of water coming from a hose. My dad's sheepdog Turbo has been doing it all her life and she's just about 10. But she was never aggressive, she would try and bite it and would then bark at it, then bite, then bark. She never tried to destroy the hose or sprinklers at all and as soon as the water was turned off she would go off and mind her business. It looked like she was just playing and she never looked aggressive at all. If we called her off to do work, she would leave the water alone.

I do hope you can solve it. :)

mego 06-16-2014 12:32 AM

sounds like he's just having fun. Just leash him and don't let him destroy things. If he ignores you you aren't managing it well and I wouldn't have him off leash until he obeys your leave it or recall to get away from the stuff. A lot of dogs find the hose/sprinklers really fun, mine goes nuts too, but if she gets carried away when it's game over I call her off and if she tried to ignore me I'd leash her.

On the plus side it's an awesome way to tire them out ;) I ask mine "wanna play hose" and then she knows she's allowed to go nuts:

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2896/...f8dab9a3_z.jpg

Yoshi 06-16-2014 05:29 AM

Mego, that's such a lovely picture. They look like they are having a lot of fun. :wub:

jocoyn 06-16-2014 05:48 AM

Its just fun but don't overdo it. They can get water intoxication from it as they wind up consuming a lot of water.

GSDMark 06-16-2014 10:36 AM

Thank you everyone! I agree I don't have as much control of him as I should in the seemingly short five months I've had him.:rolleyes: I will work on that but meanwhile will restrain him if he gets out of control while having so much fun!
Thanks again for your time!

osito23 06-16-2014 03:36 PM

He's having fun; Bear loves playing with the water hose too. However, there need to be rules - and definitely no destroying the hose afterwards. :) You control the game. The dog needs to wait, leave it, and quit the game on your command. I would be very careful letting him out with your grandkids until he is better trained, and even then running kids and water may be too much for him. When Bear was younger he was trying to catch the water and my hand got in the way - he was so in the zone that he was oblivious and nailed my thumb in the process. It's easy for them to get carried away, and it takes time and patience to make this an enjoyable game for everyone.

Here's my guy after a game, ready for more!

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3800/...cbb276d3_z.jpgDSC_0259

jafo220 06-16-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSDMark (Post 5646506)
My 2yr old male FREAKS out over sprinklers, water from hoses, faucets, anything water!! And I don't mean scared. He bites furiously at the water stream and where it's coming from. If I turn off the water he will destroy the hose or sprinkler where the water was coming from. He totally ignores me when I call him out or to stop. I adopted Zeus 5 months ago, he is an intact male and is of course a virtual ball of energy! How can I stop what I call 'water aggression.' My grand kids cant play in the sprinkler when he is loose and I definitely cant water the lawn or wash the car unless he is inside. Help please!

Cruz is the same way. He is actually borderline dangerous. He goes to another level.

I have a theory with this. I think It's not really the water itself but the noise it makes when it comes out. At least that's what I think it is with Cruz. Cruz was exposed to one of those airburst things at the pet store. It sounds almost like a cat hiss only louder. He doesn't like either of those sounds. It sends him into high aggression. He does not like anything that hisses and will aggressively go after it.

The only way I have curbed this is the use of the e-collar. It's the only thing I have found that will break his focus once he's hit that high. Only reason I use the e-collar is because it's how we train now. I use an off command. It's very effective. But as has been discussed here before, get the aide of a trainer if you go the e-collar route.

You can try a leave it command or get his recall down solid. Timing I think is very important. You have to get his focus before he ramps up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

GSDMark 06-16-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by osito23 (Post 5648562)
He's having fun; Bear loves playing with the water hose too. However, there need to be rules - and definitely no destroying the hose afterwards. :) You control the game. The dog needs to wait, leave it, and quit the game on your command. I would be very careful letting him out with your grandkids until he is better trained, and even then running kids and water may be too much for him. When Bear was younger he was trying to catch the water and my hand got in the way - he was so in the zone that he was oblivious and nailed my thumb in the process. It's easy for them to get carried away, and it takes time and patience to make this an enjoyable game for everyone.

Here's my guy after a game, ready for more!

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3800/...cbb276d3_z.jpgDSC_0259

That sounds very familiar! I found out about his water attraction when I first bathed him with a hose. I also almost lost a thumbnail when he lunged for the spray. Its comforting to know that it isn't all that unusual.

SuperG 06-16-2014 11:10 PM

All 3 of the GSDs I have had over the years love the sprinkler, hose or faucets.....it's entertaining most certainly.....they go bonkers for it.

Funny thing is....my current gal doesn't care much for the rain.....what's up with that?

SuperG