dog park., strangers and petting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default dog park., strangers and petting

My 20 month old shepherd is fine with people, really friendly even, that we invite to our house or that he knows (like those at our training place). He's great with kids, even strange kids he doesn't know (like at the pet store). At the dog park today though, one of the other owners wanted to pet him and kept trying to and he'd get close, sort of nod their direction and dodge their pets. I didn't really see an issue. He's cuddly with us sometimes, but not a cuddly dog by any means. I just assumed he didn't want petted by a stranger (I wouldn't want hugged by one..?) But the group of owners mentioned he was "apprehensive." How are your dogs with strangers?

I will also add we had my 4 month old with us and he was sort of on guard, always checking in with me/her also, so I don't know that he was feeling social/playful while we were there.
jessac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You had a 4 month old dog or baby with you?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sorry 4 month old baby.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd keep both of them away from dog parks.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm not a fan of dog parks and definitely not a fan of bringing babies there. I seen that start to go south real quick one time. You have a dog with guarding instincts, a dog park with other dogs and people that he might feel threatened by could be a disaster.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I can see your points about babies and dogs at dog parks. But no new answered my original question.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I had my dog at an informal off leash area with several other dogs one time, and a family that already knew him well came wandering through with their young daughter. The dogs all swarmed around her playing, and while the parents were talking to the other owners, one of them jumped up and snapped right in her face. I was the only person watching, and I am quite confident the big scary dark wolf dog would have got the blame from all the other owners if she'd been bitten. I'll never let him get into that kind of situation again, no matter how good he is with kids.
Bob_McBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessac View Post
I can see your points about babies and dogs at dog parks. But no new answered my original question.
I'll take it! I don't do dog parks, I don't do I thought my dog was friendly folks! My dog was taught to ignore people and other dogs! He is safe in public and little dogs can bark,bark, in his face till they turn blue and the will get "zero" reaction from him!

People can pet him with my permission and he is fine with that..he can pretty much careless and I'm good with that!

"Who pets my puppy or Dog" and "Why Dog Parks are a bad idea?" can both be found in post 8:
New Dog, Very Challenging
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

My dogs are both different on this topic The female is fine with meeting people while out on walks She really enjoys meeting seniors and disabled She is gentle and has patience
My male he is aloof and impatient when folks wish to pet him Most times I tell folks he is not for petting and carry on Besides he has such hard penetrating eyes that keep most away
canyadoit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyadoit View Post
My dogs are both different on this topic The female is fine with meeting people while out on walks She really enjoys meeting seniors and disabled She is gentle and has patience
My male he is aloof and impatient when folks wish to pet him Most times I tell folks he is not for petting and carry on Besides he has such hard penetrating eyes that keep most away
As long as the male is civil,safe and under your control, you don't have a problem!

My guy had to be taught how to behave around people (bubble dog) and I/we accomplished that quite successfully!

My next Boxer will be my people "loving dog" cause that's who they are!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.