German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   dog park., strangers and petting (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/460761-dog-park-strangers-petting.html)

jessac 06-15-2014 06:08 PM

dog park., strangers and petting

My 20 month old shepherd is fine with people, really friendly even, that we invite to our house or that he knows (like those at our training place). He's great with kids, even strange kids he doesn't know (like at the pet store). At the dog park today though, one of the other owners wanted to pet him and kept trying to and he'd get close, sort of nod their direction and dodge their pets. I didn't really see an issue. He's cuddly with us sometimes, but not a cuddly dog by any means. I just assumed he didn't want petted by a stranger (I wouldn't want hugged by one..?) But the group of owners mentioned he was "apprehensive." How are your dogs with strangers?

I will also add we had my 4 month old with us and he was sort of on guard, always checking in with me/her also, so I don't know that he was feeling social/playful while we were there.

llombardo 06-15-2014 06:10 PM

You had a 4 month old dog or baby with you?

jessac 06-15-2014 06:12 PM

Sorry 4 month old baby.

Stosh 06-15-2014 06:13 PM

I'd keep both of them away from dog parks.

llombardo 06-15-2014 06:17 PM

I'm not a fan of dog parks and definitely not a fan of bringing babies there. I seen that start to go south real quick one time. You have a dog with guarding instincts, a dog park with other dogs and people that he might feel threatened by could be a disaster.

jessac 06-15-2014 06:41 PM

I can see your points about babies and dogs at dog parks. But no new answered my original question.

Bob_McBob 06-15-2014 07:05 PM

I had my dog at an informal off leash area with several other dogs one time, and a family that already knew him well came wandering through with their young daughter. The dogs all swarmed around her playing, and while the parents were talking to the other owners, one of them jumped up and snapped right in her face. I was the only person watching, and I am quite confident the big scary dark wolf dog would have got the blame from all the other owners if she'd been bitten. I'll never let him get into that kind of situation again, no matter how good he is with kids.

Chip18 06-15-2014 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessac (Post 5645601)
I can see your points about babies and dogs at dog parks. But no new answered my original question.

I'll take it! I don't do dog parks, I don't do I thought my dog was friendly folks! My dog was taught to ignore people and other dogs! He is safe in public and little dogs can bark,bark, in his face till they turn blue and the will get "zero" reaction from him!

People can pet him with my permission and he is fine with that..he can pretty much careless and I'm good with that! :)

"Who pets my puppy or Dog" and "Why Dog Parks are a bad idea?" can both be found in post 8:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...allenging.html

canyadoit 06-15-2014 07:32 PM

My dogs are both different on this topic The female is fine with meeting people while out on walks She really enjoys meeting seniors and disabled She is gentle and has patience
My male he is aloof and impatient when folks wish to pet him Most times I tell folks he is not for petting and carry on Besides he has such hard penetrating eyes that keep most away

Chip18 06-15-2014 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canyadoit (Post 5645721)
My dogs are both different on this topic The female is fine with meeting people while out on walks She really enjoys meeting seniors and disabled She is gentle and has patience
My male he is aloof and impatient when folks wish to pet him Most times I tell folks he is not for petting and carry on Besides he has such hard penetrating eyes that keep most away

As long as the male is civil,safe and under your control, you don't have a problem!

My guy had to be taught how to behave around people (bubble dog) and I/we accomplished that quite successfully! :)

My next Boxer will be my people "loving dog" cause that's who they are! :)