German Shepherds Forum banner

Is it ever too late to 'socialize'?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Germanshepherdlove 
#1 ·
Zeeva is almost 4 and Smokey is 5.

Today we had an off leash pup come up to us. Zeeva lounged but I don't think she bit...? It just happened so fast. I apologized profusely to the owner. He said "she's pretty aggressive huh." I was a little taken aback. Yes, Zeeva doesn't have the best greeting when it comes to other dogs. Yes, she is fearful of other dogs. But aggressive...? I think if the dog hadn't run up to her, if she wasn't in my grip, MAYBE she would've done the butt sniff and the play bow a second later...but I might be kidding myself :'C

Is it ever too late to 'socialize' a dog? When do dogs become set in their ways (so to say)?

#2 ·
I believe that you can teach an old dog new tricks so to speak. Some dogs will give a rambunctious pup a pass because it's a pup, but others don't. I've noticed that my oldest is much more lenient with my younger golden then with any other dog ever, I find it almost weird. I think once they get older it's harder but still can be done and carefully.

#3 ·
How old was that pup? If it was older than about 4 months she probably told him to back off, like adult dogs do to these little brats. There is not much you can do against an off leash approach besides stepping in front of your dog and block the other dog. But that is complicated sometimes. Technically a "pup" is younger than 4 months but many people keep using this life stage for marketing or excuses. Tell an older dog, "he is just a puppy" when in fact it is an adolescent challenging him. No excuses in the dog world :)

#7 ·
Yes you may or not actually have a problem? But in this case...it sounds to me like you told your dog, uh oh we have a situation here!!!

He responded accordingly! Obviously not what you wanted but pretty sure that is how he saw it?

My guys never did other dog intros but I taught them what I expect. I would have told my guy "Stay" and stood in front of him. You were walking two dogs so yep it would be a bit trickier but the principle is still the same. :)

I don't think you have a serious problem here but if you want to get them or him better? You'll find links in post 8:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/431289-new-dog-very-challenging.html

Once you train your dog how to behave by and large that is how they behave! Problem will be speaking for myself here, the guardian, strange friendly dogs approaching my guy always make me nervous! But I fake it, I fall back on my dogs training! He has never let me down! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.