German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Eko broke a window!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/458817-eko-broke-window.html)

Sarah~ 06-09-2014 08:28 PM

Eko broke a window!!!

I was asleep when it happened, Eko was out with my boyfriend, so I don't know all the details but... Basically, Eko was in the guest bedroom, saw my neighbor's dog outside through the window, started scratching and pawing at it while he barked and snarled (the other dog was barking at him too). The window shattered, it scared him, and he bolted out of the room. We have been doing so well with working on his DA... Very disappointed with him.

Also, he is ok, no cuts from the glass. I checked his paws and legs for any cuts, none I could see and no blood anywhere.

jafo220 06-09-2014 09:25 PM

Wow, that could have turned out bad. My GSD went through one of the window panes in the garage door, suspected the mailman was cutting between the garage door and car. He was not as lucky and required some medical attention. You're lucky this time.

You really need to work on his reacting to the neighbors dog. It could happen again.

Sarah~ 06-09-2014 10:28 PM

Yes, I know :( I was told about some film I could put over the windows he likes to look out of in the meantime that let light in but he wouldn't be able to see anything outside very clearly. His nemesis is my neighbor's female GSD that is just as reactive as he is, the second they see each other they both go insane. The neighbor and I are not on great terms, I just try to get him to focus in me when we pass by them but when her dog is making a huge scene too it's hard for me to compete.

Susan_GSD_mom 06-09-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah~ (Post 5622537)
Yes, I know :( I was told about some film I could put over the windows he likes to look out of in the meantime that let light in but he wouldn't be able to see anything outside very clearly. His nemesis is my neighbor's female GSD that is just as reactive as he is, the second they see each other they both go insane. The neighbor and I are not on great terms, I just try to get him to focus in me when we pass by them but when her dog is making a huge scene too it's hard for me to compete.

If you have a Menard's/Home Depot/Lowe's near you, they should have the film for your window that you described. I bought mine at Menard's, and they do have a selection of different patterns. Look at them closely before you buy--some of them are still too transparent. They do work--I have a very DA girl who still is not trustworthy at windows when she can see other dogs outside, and it seems like everyone within half a mile has a dog, and they all walk past my house, LOL! The film does help, although I caught her the other day at a big window in the breezeway, standing on her hind feet like a poodle to look above the film--I hadn't covered the whole window!

Susan

Sarah~ 06-10-2014 09:55 AM

Thanks Susan! I have a Lowe's and a Menard's near me, I will be going there today :) The windows I need to cover aren't that big so I will just cover the whole thing. Your story made me laugh, thinking of a GSD on their hind legs looking over the film lol!