Separation Anxiety- little long sorry. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Separation Anxiety- little long sorry.

So we picked up our 4 year old rescue/shelter dog on Thursday night. We came home, let her sniff the house on leash, let her meet us, and just relaxed. Our yard isn't fenced, she doesn't seem to know how to play, so we went for a walk around the block before bed. She was crated overnight in our bedroom and was great. no whining, no accidents.

Friday, we walked, she ate and hung out with us on leash in the morning but my husband and I both work, in the crate she went. She cried ALL morning. We know because our grandma lives with us and tried to talk to her while she was in the cage but continued crying. Husband went home at lunch, took her out and relaxed with her a bit then put her back in the cage when he went back to work. She cried all afternoon but was fine in the evening/ and another night in the cage.

Saturday- We overwhelmed her. After a morning walk and some relaxing, we took her to get evaluated by a trainer (she did great!), we had a vet appointment, then went for a bath at a local pet store (gotta love self service bathing tubs). She growled/Lunged at a small dog at the store. We figured that she was tired and overwhelmed from the day. She rested a bit, we had a walk before bed and another great night in the crate.

Today, we walked in the AM and I put her in the crate a bit to reinforce that it isn't a bad place, and that its ok to be there. we gave her some treats while she was in it and calm. we walked in and out of the house and she was fine. she was in there for about 2 hours while we did things around the house (inside and out) when we decided to run to the store to grab lunch. in the hour we were gone, she bent the wire in her crate, removed the plastic pan at the bottom and cried/howled the entire time. she quieted right before we got home (according to grandma) and is now laying at my feet resting as I type this.

I know she is bonding with us, but we are unsure of how to proceed and we both have to go back to work tomorrow. If we leave her uncrated, she could be destructive and hurt herself and grandma (or she could be totally fine). If we attempt to crate her, she can cause further damage to her crate and again, could hurt herself. Any tips would be very helpful as we are just not sure which direction to go.
hev1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would try leaving her out of crate.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Our shelter guy did the same thing. We ended up leaving him out. The first few times we came home to small messes (tore leaves off plants, just a couple. Pulled all the scent bulbs out of the wall sockets -strange, hey? Dumped ALL toys at the door, panting like a maniac when we got home). We calmed down left for a few minutes. Came back, made leaving as minimally disruptive as possible. But I think what really helped was we had taught him to "go to his place". With all the other dogs, that was their crate. With this guy,he apparently had too much of that crate thing, so he would go to a place rug. Calmed his self down being in his place, just like the huskies would retreat to their crates when things got to be too much. He was fine after that, he is still anxious when we leave, but NO scent bulb pulling, no defoliation ( husband was considering calling him agent orange)
Juliem24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

To much to fast, you don't know the dog and the dog barely knows you! Four walls and a roof is just a bigger cage for her, same deal new faces!

I would start with this:
I just got a rescued dog – what do I do? | stickydogblog

And this:
**Selzer** Sitting On The Dog

Wheres my sanity: Sit on the Dog, aka: The long down

I use to say I never did it but now I have done it! I did have to mod it but it made a hugh amount of difference in a Boxer I was with for just a short amount of time!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

We did some tests yesterday afternoon with leaving her out with Grandma and we went outside and went out of view (talking to a neighbor) or a quick trip to RiteAid for benedryl (less than 15 minutes). She cried the entire time but grandma indicated it wasn't as crazy because she wasn't confined. She is worse when I leave for sure.
We are going to try leaving her out today....my husband will go home at lunch to check on things. hopefully it will be better. she's just so darn good and sweet otherwise, I hate seeing her anxious.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hev1128 View Post
We did some tests yesterday afternoon with leaving her out with Grandma and we went outside and went out of view (talking to a neighbor) or a quick trip to RiteAid for benedryl (less than 15 minutes). She cried the entire time but grandma indicated it wasn't as crazy because she wasn't confined. She is worse when I leave for sure.
We are going to try leaving her out today....my husband will go home at lunch to check on things. hopefully it will be better. she's just so darn good and sweet otherwise, I hate seeing her anxious.
It took Rudy a while, be as patient as you can. He improved a tiny bit daily. He still gets a little worried when we leave, and some days he barks and whines, but it's been 4 months and compared to where we were it's a whole lot better. My holistic vet suggested some calming drops (not sedative meds), but I have not used them. Good luck! Rescues are a trip!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

you need to erect some gates and what not around the house so she cannot follow you everywhere
it seems charming to owners but contributes to the dog thinking it has to be right by your side 24/7
let her see you but become confident she will survive without you constantly by her
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

The velcro dog act has subsided gradually every day.
Ginger just doesn't like being confined to the crate if she can't hear/see us. Maybe she was over-kenneled in her past? WHo knows.

All I know is that my rescue has been with us a week. Has had ZERO accidents and hasn't chewed up anything. She's a total doll. I know we will hit a rebellion at some point. But I'm counting my blessings now. Just another hour and a half and I'll be home hanging out with her!
Old 06-23-2014, 03:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hev1128 View Post
The velcro dog act has subsided gradually every day.
Ginger just doesn't like being confined to the crate if she can't hear/see us. Maybe she was over-kenneled in her past? WHo knows.

All I know is that my rescue has been with us a week. Has had ZERO accidents and hasn't chewed up anything. She's a total doll. I know we will hit a rebellion at some point. But I'm counting my blessings now. Just another hour and a half and I'll be home hanging out with her!
I kinda let Rudy set the pace for "degrees of separation". We are six months in and he will sleep anywhere in the house now, just hangs out while we 're gone (too hot in the car for a ride-along), but I did notice that 2 weeks ago when my husband was gone for a few days, Rudy was decidedly closer to me, even made several attempts to get into the shower.
At about 3 months, (so his age was 13 months) he became more himself. Worst thing he did was steal an apple from the table...ooooh that devil. He also became more vocal about people walking down the sidewalk...like "hey that might be my sidewalk" and becoming delightfully playful. Today for the first time he was playing on the floor with me...no kong stick, no tug, just me, and rolling on his back which I think was pretty cool.he seems to know that I am injured with a lot of hardware in my neck holding it together, so he's as gentle as a 90 lb teenager can be. His training is going well, though he remains moderately leash aggressive and we are going to a trainer Wednesday-because I can't have that behavior! I just can't seem to find the right key to help him over that. He also has a strong prey drive and it's bunny season which is a nightmare for my neck in this leash law town I live in. But I'm getting away from THE point. It takes a lot of time: they're kinda like foster kids except they can't tell you what went on before. Certainly worth it! That said, we were very lucky with this guy.

Last edited by Juliem24; 06-23-2014 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.