German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Just for fun...wha tis your GSD afraid of? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/453514-just-fun-wha-tis-your-gsd-afraid.html)

Prediluted 05-23-2014 11:00 AM

Just for fun...wha tis your GSD afraid of?

We adopted a 1.5 year old GSD about about 5 months ago now, and while she has been improving, she is afraid of quite a list of items. From what the vet's office where we adopted her from told us, with her prior owner she spent all her time locked in an RV while he roamed the country, which I can guess resulted in very poor socialization.

So she is afraid of/nervous around...

running water
puddles
fans
hair dryers
children
large men
senior citizens
dogs, especially small ones

Running water she will refuse to cross a small stream on a hike, or if she hears it in a drainage pipe on a run she will jump sideways into me to get away from it. With puddles she will walk around, or if she accidentally runs through it she freaks out a little and flies away from the puddle

Fans and hair dryers she leaves the room

Little kids and dogs she gets close to investigate, and then if they look at her she runs away. With dogs she will go up to them and bark a few times, then try and get away.

Large men and senior citizens she tries to hide behind us and won't go near them unless you give her plenty of time and let her do her own thing, even then, she is very nervous and jumpy until she really gets to know them.

It certainly keeps things interesting!

McWeagle 05-23-2014 11:33 AM

Mine was afraid of everything when we first got her as a puppy due to a rough start at the shelter (including being beaten up by the mother of another litter at about 9 weeks old). It took a lot of work, but now she's only scared of crowds (like at a festival), "gangs" of dogs (in her mind, more than 1 is a gang! :D) and large holes in the ground that make a lot of noise (open manholes, openings on a small ferry boat, etc). She keeps things interesting, for sure, but she's come a long way!

Pax8 05-23-2014 11:48 AM

Baths are the worst for Kaiju. I can get him in, and then he just sits there and moans the entire time.

Oh, and he'll jump when the squirrels body slam the tin roof over the back porch. Though in all honesty, that tends to surprise me as well. :D

Lilie 05-23-2014 12:41 PM

Honestly, at 4 years old. Hondo isn't afraid of anything. He's not fond of heavy gun fire (target practice), but he doesn't move off or go back to the house.

When he was a youngster he was afraid of a tooth brush in my mouth. No idea why. If I was brushing my teeth, he'd leave the room and wait till I was finished. If I went into the room he was in (while brushing my teeth) he'd walk away. He didn't like it. When I offered him the tooth brush, he'd turn his head away.

I took an old toothbrush and laid it on the living room floor. He had to walk past it a gillion times every day. Finally he ignored it. And I moved his kennel into my bedroom. I fed him his raw chicken in his kennel. While he ate, I brushed my teeth.

Now he doesn't even wake up when I'm brushing my teeth. Stays quiet when I brush his teeth. Never could figure out why he was concerned with a tooth brush.

misslesleedavis1 05-23-2014 12:54 PM

The vacuum cleaner, my sparkly riding crop the hardwood steam mop, laundry baskets. (Tyson)
Dexter, same but also is very nevous of loud voices,
Shigs. Hates the vacuum has no fear other then the vac I dont know if its even vac fear, she just gets up gives it the look and goes in her crate and sleeps for another 8 hours. Of I were to say "shiggies what are you most afraid of" and she could answer me she would say "running out of snacks"

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Shade 05-23-2014 12:55 PM

Nothing so far

Though I saw him startle for the first time ever yesterday. There was a huge thunderstorm with hail going on yesterday when I got home and I let the dogs outside to do their business and there was a huge BOOM of thunder a few moments later, it shook the house and scared the bejeebus out of me and both dogs hightailed it for the door. Of course two seconds later he was back at the door whining to be let out again :rolleyes: So scared, no

DWP 05-23-2014 12:56 PM

The Obvious one

The Vacume Cleaner is not their favorite. The Roomba vacume robot doesn't bother them at all, but if you have the big push vacume they avoid it.

DJEtzel 05-23-2014 01:42 PM

Nothing, thankfully. :)

Cassidy's Mom 05-23-2014 01:59 PM

Halo is afraid of missing a meal. :D

Keefer likes to attack the vacuum, but I don't think he's actually afraid of it. Strangely, he only does that when I vacuum, he doesn't seem to mind if Tom vacuums.

They're both pretty bombproof.

Courtney 05-23-2014 02:04 PM

Well, I can tell you he was afraid of me this morning when he took off with my $$ make-up brush. lol