German Shepherds Forum banner

She does not like little dogs or pit bulls

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  HarleyTheGSD 
#1 ·
I have had Maui for a month. She's a little over 1yr old. I'm sure this has been asked a gazillion times.. But I so would like some advice on how to teach her the correct way to be around other dogs.
I can take her to a dog park and she plays great with other dogs. She plays great with other dogs a the beach.
But put her on a leash and she gets VERY aggressive with ALL other dogs.
Why is that if I may ask.
Becky

#2 ·
If the leash is tight and the dog is out front your are not in control. Constantly "Dog Paring him is not a good idea as it sounds like you don;t have control.

Or I'll say this is not a dog "I" would be taking to a Dog Park. Some dogs don't belong in a Dog Park. ,they can pick up bad habits and they can learn "you" don't matter!

He can easily kill a small dog and doesn't like Pitts? Well that can "work" it self out cause baring "responsible" ownership and handling most "Pitts" don't like other dogs!

This may prove useful:
Leerburg | How to Break Up a Dog Fight Without Getting Hurt!

Dog Parks:
Leerburg | Dog Parks: Why They Are A Bad Idea
Three Dogs Who Shouldn’t Be at the Dog Park or Daycare | Robin Bennett

And in this thread post * has some links on what you can do! :)

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/431289-new-dog-very-challenging.html

#3 ·
You are right. She does walk ahead on the leash. I will start teaching her to walk with me.
Thank you for helping me with this issue.

Do you have any advice on these other two issues I have?

I'm a bit confused about paring her, Maui is not able to have babies.
The issue with the neighbors pit bull - The dog is in a fenced yard.. But they have placed a huge coral rock so when the dog is out in the yard he/she can use that rock to jump the fence and has many times.

The little dog lives next door and is behind a fence. When taking Maui out to relieve herself in our back yard (with leash) on she gets aggressive and tries to attack the little dog.

Thank you again
Becky

#4 ·
Increase the distance when working with her in the presence of other dogs as far as needed for her to be able to focus on you. Lots of turns, and play/treats for good behavior. Over time you decrease the distance. The trick is to make her always successful. Don't hasten the process.l

#6 · (Edited)
At the park they are all in a fence and she seems to get along with all dogs. Though I have to say at the park she has yet to come in contact with a little dog (less and 20lbs).
My friend has a male golden lab (older dog) she loves her dog, they play in the pool and run the yard together.

Pit bulls -- She has been around two both are fenced in a yard 24/7 and bark at us all the time. The one jumps the fence to get to us. and is MEAN! teeth showing foaming at the mouth mean.. very scary dog.

These dogs all live on or by our road
Becky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.